Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Question Patent making, applying, understanding Help Needed

Alright, maybe some guys/gals here have some useful information on getting a patent. I have an idea that, Myself and a few others believe could make money. I understand its a long shot, but you never know until you try

The problem I'm facing is searching the idea out. I have searched for a few days on USA Patents and have found some with the same basic idea, but much different. I cant find the exact idea I have, and don't know how to go about finding out. Patent searches on the Internet can go for years, they are hard to search and sometimes difficult to understand. Is my only option getting it notarized, then hiring a patent attorney (1000-2500$$$) to search it out for me?

I already have a prototype made and rough drawings/diagrams, just need an easier way of searching for my exact idea.

Anyone here have any experience in these types of things? I have searched and found a patent forum, but I cant find any recent posts/threads in the past ~2 years. Lots of information there though. I dont wanna spend 1000+ just to have it searched out, open to any idea's.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

My father submits a few patents each year. I imagine the company pays for an attorney to confirm but, but he has mentioned in the past that some of the products incorporating his ideas are obsolete before he even gets the patent for the said idea, years after they're put into use. I can ask him for more specifics when I see him.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Alright, maybe some guys/gals here have some useful information on getting a patent. I have an idea that, Myself and a few others believe could make money. I understand its a long shot, but you never know until you try

The problem I'm facing is searching the idea out. I have searched for a few days on USA Patents and have found some with the same basic idea, but much different. I cant find the exact idea I have, and don't know how to go about finding out. Patent searches on the Internet can go for years, they are hard to search and sometimes difficult to understand. Is my only option getting it notarized, then hiring a patent attorney (1000-2500$$$) to search it out for me?

I already have a prototype made and rough drawings/diagrams, just need an easier way of searching for my exact idea.

Anyone here have any experience in these types of things? I have searched and found a patent forum, but I cant find any recent posts/threads in the past ~2 years. Lots of information there though. I dont wanna spend 1000+ just to have it searched out, open to any idea's.
    GUESS WHAT?!? it's going to cost that much and then some...

had a buddy of mine lose a few coins just to find out that someone else had the same idea... how ever you might be able to contact the person who holds the patent and buy it off them if you think you can get a market going for the object of your idea...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Whatever you do -- avoid the scammers you see on TV. I can't remember their names, but stay away. I'll be back in a minute with a link...

----------------------------------------------

Start here: http://www.uspto.gov/patents/process/index.jsp

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Thanks guys. I have found some additional information in the last 24 hours that will help me.

That link is a good one Jeff, Have you ever tried searching through it for specific patents though? I swear I run in circles on that website sometimes, but its definitely great, solid information.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

to qualify for a patent... said object must be a clever or novel idea.

best bet is dont worry about the patent yet, instead copyright or trademark the design/object and start selling it.

pointless to spend the money for a patent if the object/design does not sell. you will just lose money.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    to qualify for a patent... said object must be a clever or novel idea.

best bet is dont worry about the patent yet, instead copyright or trademark the design/object and start selling it.

pointless to spend the money for a patent if the object/design does not sell. you will just lose money.
    I think you are spot on there.

Be careful who you share your idea with.There are a lot of snakes out there waiting.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I don't dabble in patent law at all.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Be careful who you share your idea with.There are a lot of snakes out there waiting.
    Thissssssssssss.

Thread Information