Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

P90X Workout Routine

My question is...what routine should I be doing?

Day 1 for me was yesterday. I did the Ab Ripper and the Arms/Shoulder workouts.

Today I did the Biceps/Back workout routine.

I am basically looking to see how many of each muscle group I should be doing and how often.

I don't have the workout guide, just the DVDs and nutritional pamphlet.

Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 04-03-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Doesnt that come with a calendar that tells you what to do on what days?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I have the workout routine schedule ill have to email it to you sometime

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I almost bought this last week but talked myself out of it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I was pretty dedicated to working out since the beginning of the year; about 4 times a week in my basement using a cable weight machine. I then injured my wrist hitting a heavy bag and haven't been able to work out for the last 6 weeks. I just got into it again 2 days ago with this program since my wrist is feeling better.

Hoping to stay focused enough to finish it out.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

You really need to follow the right schedule. I'm on my phone but when I'm home I'll pass the schedules along to you.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Regardless of what routine or program you're following, always allow at least 48 hours before working a muscle again. It needs that time to heal.

And remember this is for body parts, not exercises. So for example, you can't do biceps/triceps on Monday, and then Chest/back on Tuesday because they're "different" exercises... That will hinder your progress because Chest exercises make use of the triceps, same with back:biceps. So it would be like only giving your arms 24 hours rest. You would want to wait for chest/back until Wednesday, and do something else on Tuesday, like Legs or abs or penis or whatever.

Also remember to eat protein so your muscles actually have the materials to rebuild themselves. Animal derived proteins (Meat) are the best sources as they the more of the good amino acids (can't remember off hand the specifics), but dairy derived protein sources (Eggs, milk, whey/caesin protein shakes) are great as well. Try to stay away from soy protein if possible.

Also, don't buy in to stupid ass myths. The following is a couple of facts that many people have opposing ideas to:

-Muscle does NOT, N-O-T, turn into fat. Or vice versa.

-Fat NEVER goes away. You have the same amount of fat cells in your body your entire life (except in rare circumstances such as amputation, etc). The difference when people gain or lose weight is caused by the fat cells shrinking or enlarging, not by the cells duplicating or being destroyed.

-There is no such thing as "Toning". You'll find 10 sorority chicks or soccer moms in every gym that will argue this concept to the death, but toning doesn't exist. You are either gaining muscle 'and'/or losing fat when working out. There is no bullshit third concept called toning.

-Doing 1000 crunches will not give you abs, because YOU ALREADY HAVE ABS. Yes. As much as your gut makes you think otherwise, they are there. If you can't seem them, it is because you have a layer of fat between your skin and your abs. So the only way to get your abs to show is to lower your body fat percentage. Yes, 1000 crunches will burn calories to lower your body fat, but there are much more efficient ways to burn calories and lower body fat than crunches, such as cardio (running, etc) and making changes to your diet.

-YOU CAN'T FUCKING SPOT-REDUCE FAT. I hear people all the time, "The rest of my body is fine but my arms are too fat, what exercises can I do to reduce the fat on them?" Doesn't work like that. Losing fat is the body-wide process. Run a few miles a day, the body-fat in your arms will slowly get lower and lower, as will the rest of your body. Oh, and those women you see with a pencil-thin upper body and calves, but have fucking massive tyrannosaurus rex thighs? They didn't spot-reduce everything but their thighs, they just have shitty genetics. For reference, the average male can being to see his abs around 12% body fat, has nicely visible abs at 8-10%, and the fitness models in magazines like Mens Fitness generally have a body fat percentage around 6% or so. There a calculators online that give you a general idea of your BF% after you type in you weight, height and some body measurements.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I know a little on the subject so I'll try to answer questions if you have any.

Pretty good info

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Regardless of what routine or program you're following, always allow at least 48 hours before working a muscle again. It needs that time to heal.

And remember this is for body parts, not exercises. So for example, you can't do biceps/triceps on Monday, and then Chest/back on Tuesday because they're "different" exercises... That will hinder your progress because Chest exercises make use of the triceps, same with back:biceps. So it would be like only giving your arms 24 hours rest. You would want to wait for chest/back until Wednesday, and do something else on Tuesday, like Legs or abs or penis or whatever.

Also remember to eat protein so your muscles actually have the materials to rebuild themselves. Animal derived proteins (Meat) are the best sources as they the more of the good amino acids (can't remember off hand the specifics), but dairy derived protein sources (Eggs, milk, whey/caesin protein shakes) are great as well. Try to stay away from soy protein if possible.

Also, don't buy in to stupid ass myths. The following is a couple of facts that many people have opposing ideas to:

-Fat NEVER goes away. You have the same amount of fat cells in your body your entire life (except in rare circumstances such as amputation, etc). The difference when people gain or lose weight is caused by the fat cells shrinking or enlarging, not by the cells duplicating or being destroyed.

-There is no such thing as "Toning". You'll find 10 sorority chicks or soccer moms in every gym that will argue this concept to the death, but toning doesn't exist. You are either gaining muscle 'and'/or losing fat when working out. There is no bullshit third concept called toning.

-Doing 1000 crunches will not give you abs, because YOU ALREADY HAVE ABS. Yes. As much as your gut makes you think otherwise, they are there. If you can't seem them, it is because you have a layer of fat between your skin and your abs. So the only way to get your abs to show is to lower your body fat percentage. Yes, 1000 crunches will burn calories to lower your body fat, but there are much more efficient ways to burn calories and lower body fat than crunches, such as cardio (running, etc) and making changes to your diet.

-YOU CAN'T FUCKING SPOT-REDUCE FAT. I hear people all the time, "The rest of my body is fine but my arms are too fat, what exercises can I do to reduce the fat on them?" Doesn't work like that. Losing fat is the body-wide process. Run a few miles a day, the body-fat in your arms will slowly get lower and lower, as will the rest of your body. Oh, and those women you see with a pencil-thin upper body and calves, but have fucking massive tyrannosaurus rex thighs? They didn't spot-reduce everything but their thighs, they just have shitty genetics. For reference, the average male can being to see his abs around 12% body fat, has nicely visible abs at 8-10%, and the fitness models in magazines like Mens Fitness generally have a body fat percentage around 6% or so. There a calculators online that give you a general idea of your BF% after you type in you weight, height and some body measurements.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I know a little on the subject so I'll try to answer questions if you have any.
    it's astounding how many dumb asses out there will argue the shit out of their miss informed logic when you bring up some of these points^, simply because they don't like the fact that what they've been trying to accomplish for the past X amount of time makes no physiological sense

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

good info as always just a little wrong in certain areas

Good but wrong. The fat cell can only hold so much and if your still overeating guess what the body will make new fat cells. But you are right that they will never go away, they will only shrink.
    http://www.johnshopkinshealthalerts....rol_813-1.html

good to go on that one

yep good info on that and the sad part is most will still say you got to do sit ups to loose the gut
    -

YOU CAN'T FUCKING SPOT-REDUCE FAT. I hear people all the time, "The rest of my body is fine but my arms are too fat, what exercises can I do to reduce the fat on them?" Doesn't work like that. Losing fat is the body-wide process. Run a few miles a day, the body-fat in your arms will slowly get lower and lower, as will the rest of your body. Oh, and those women you see with a pencil-thin upper body and calves, but have fucking massive tyrannosaurus rex thighs? They didn't spot-reduce everything but their thighs, they just have shitty genetics. For reference, the average male can being to see his abs around 12% body fat, has nicely visible abs at 8-10%, and the fitness models in magazines like Mens Fitness generally have a body fat percentage around 6% or so. There a calculators online that give you a general idea of your BF% after you type in you weight, height and some body measurements.

There is a way to spot reduce but not by working out the problem area and no im not talking about surgery either...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I can email you the calendar tonight if you want.
    Throw me a PM.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

iroc i am going to argue with you on the ab thing, body fat does have alot to do with it, no doubt. but abdominals, like all muscles, can be built, thusly increasing thier size. this is why (for me at least) after i do a great abdominal workout, i have a killer looking show stopping 6 pack but after 30minutes of rest blood stops flowing as much and they become less rigid/noticable,

just like bi's/tri's/delts/whathaveyou do
    Last edited by justinmc978; 04-03-2010 at 09:19 PM.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

That's one of the problems I have...between a pretty physical job and working out my body doesn't get much rest. I try to compensate by not lifting on the weekends though. What do you guys think about doing abs everyday? I heard it's ok to do because abs don't get used much through out the day compared to say your legs or arms.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    iroc i am going to argue with you on the ab thing, body fat does have alot to do with it, no doubt. but abdominals, like all muscles, can be built, thusly increasing thier size. this is why (for me at least) after i do a great abdominal workout, i have a killer looking show stopping 6 pack but after 30minutes of rest blood stops flowing as much and they become less rigid/noticable,

I wasn't arguing that they couldn't be built. I was saying that for them to be visible you need a low body fat percentage.

Like I said, you could do 1000 crunches a day, along with 80lb weighted sit-ups, and form a rock hard, cobblestone set of abs... but you're not gonna see shit if you still have a 2 inch slab of fat between your abs and the outside world.

1998 Trans Am

I wasn't arguing that they couldn't be built. I was saying that for them to be visible you need a low body fat percentage.

Like I said, you could do 1000 crunches a day, along with 80lb weighted sit-ups, and form a rock hard, cobblestone set of abs... but you're not gonna see shit if you still have a 2 inch slab of fat between your abs and the outside world.
    lol spot on, spot on

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

This. P90x is OVERTRAINING at its finest. You burn off just as much muscle as you do fat. Overtraining for 90 days so people lose a ton of weight but then get to a certain point and DO NOT progress from it. Then they are left all burnt out and not wanting to train anymore. Boom, Tony Horton made his money and you lost weight. But now you are wondering why you arent big.

Each body part is to be trained ONCE a week. Abs are made via your diet. not 4 million crunches.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post

I'm gonna take a guess that you are a hardgainer, pretty skinny and under lets say 160 lbs.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    Each body part is to be trained ONCE a week. Abs are made via your diet. not 4 million crunches.
    I will vouch for the P90X program working each muscle group once a week.
    I did 90 days, felt great. Actually gained a little weight....looked better, felt stronger, etc.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    I'm gonna take a guess that you are a hardgainer, pretty skinny and under lets say 160 lbs.
    i'm really not a hardgainer, because i can get muscle easily compared to some of my friends, but because i havent been working out as vigorously as i was lastyear in highschool i have lost some weight, i'm only now using the campus rec center and putting on a little at a time again. i'm 6'0 160,170ish

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Anyone wanna email me the workout dvd's ?? (on the downlow)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information