• Depends on the situation

33 80.49%
  • Screw you, get your own stuff

6 14.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

white
    99 Trans am

Oppinions on loaning stuff out

So at what point do you cut off those that ask to borrow your stuff?

In the past i've always helped people out by loaning my time, labor, tools, trailer, and even my truck to friends. Although after being taken advantage of a few times it just seems to change my outlook now on helping others.

So now my view point leans more towards you need a truck or trailer... rent it or buy it. I make the payments because i needed it, if you "need" one make the payments.

If i'm helping with labor, at least have a plan to what you are doing before i show up. In other words have your junk packed before the labor arrives. I shouldn't have to waste more time waiting for you to unhook electronics, dismantle beds, and put stuff in boxes.

Maybe i'm just an overly self-reliant person because i always rent or buy what i need.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

If I borrow something of yours it will damned sure come back in as good, if not better shape than when you loaned it to me.
    Some beer or food will also come your way, or some other small thing like a free round of golf etc..
    Maybe not that very day, but I always repay a kindness.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

it depends. i'm borrowing a friends set of ratchet wrenches right now...but he told me i should try them out cause i'd really like them...and he's right. he'll get them back exactly as he let me borrow them. it's not my stuff so i respect it.

for good friends they get to borrow my stuff. for people that i don't know as well they usually don't get to borrow it unless i'm there to watch them use it.

I have been screwed over by a few people. I have loaned money, car parts and other items to friends which i have never been payed back. I would say prolly close to 5k worth of stuff. Once you screw me over i will never help again.

white
    99 Trans am

So if someone said they were going to return the uhaul truck to save the mileage/rental expenses, then in the same breath turned and asked to borrow your pick up to finish moving things... do you loan it?

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo99ta View Post
    So if someone said they were going to return the uhaul truck to save the mileage/rental expenses, then in the same breath turned and asked to borrow your pick up to finish moving things... do you loan it?
    depends who they are. If i would borrow it i would return it with a full tank of gas

white
    99 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Nhra Firebird View Post
    depends who they are. If i would borrow it i would return it with a full tank of gas
    So even if you know they could afford the rental fee, you would loan it?

Maybe it's just my own self-reliance, but i personally would not ask to borrow someones truck so i could save $25 on extra rental day.

Maybe it's more a question of at what point you ask to borrow stuff vs rent/buy your own stuff.

Uhaul is in the business of renting trucks, if it breaks while you are renting it, that is covered by the rental fee.

when you borrow a truck from a friend and something major breaks while you are driving then who pays? Could kill a freindship real quick...

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

i will loan anything out to friends. i normally help them out anytime too.

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

canI borrow your ws6?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

if i borrow something its usually re-payed with beer or food

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo99ta View Post
    So even if you know they could afford the rental fee, you would loan it?

Maybe it's just my own self-reliance, but i personally would not ask to borrow someones truck so i could save $25 on extra rental day.

Maybe it's more a question of at what point you ask to borrow stuff vs rent/buy your own stuff.

Uhaul is in the business of renting trucks, if it breaks while you are renting it, that is covered by the rental fee.

when you borrow a truck from a friend and something major breaks while you are driving then who pays? Could kill a freindship real quick...
    I know what you're saying... I would never ask to borrow a truck if i had the rental truck, but it is a lot of cheap stupid fucks in this world. I also hate saying no to a good friend or family member.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

I'm w/ derek, I'll loan and help.... but if you screw me.... Sorry for your luck.
    I had a friend that we helped back and forth all the time.... till he decided to steal one of my motorcycles.... we have this stuff called "threadweld" in the oilfield...
    I just removed his draglites... applied liberally to his wheel hub mating surface, and lug studs, then replaced his wheels and torqued them properly... 5 days later, I cut all 4 tires

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    canI borrow your ws6?
    haha dont think so. i have let one of my friends drive it.

white
    99 Trans am

Another situation i had...

I'm out of town on vacation. I rented a car for the trip to save the wear, mileage, and offset fuel costs. it was worth it to me.
    I get a call a from a friend, who knows i rented a car for my trip (he is keeping an eye on the house) and wants to borrow my truck to move some stuff. Let him borrow it and when i get back i find out, the stuff he needed to move was out of town and he put like 300 miles on my truck.

So i end up spending money to save mileage on my truck only to have someone else put miles on it. Oh, and no offers for dinner or expense coverage. This from someone that had an suv and could have easily rented a small trailer to move the stuff.

I have lost over the years to people
    1.1800 in cash that i loaned out.
    2.brand new complete baer brake system.
    3.nitrous kit
    4.100 dollars

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

you guys sound like all the housing loan bankers... all whining about lending shit out and not getting it back. just get a damn bailout already.

white
    99 Trans am

Another "friend" asked to borrow one of our vehicles to go to a doctors appt since they only had one car and it would be used by the husband to go to work. When my wife offered instead to driver her to the appt it turns out the "friend" really just wanted to go shopping.
    i work hard to pay for my shit, if you can afford to go shopping you can afford a second car.

It's people like this that assume/percieve that i have more than them, and that i should share it, that ruin it for the next person that asks and may really need help.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I don't loan shit unless it's family..that way I know i'm getting it back in the same condition I never loaned it out in.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I dont mind lending certain things to GOOD friends, but never to people that i barely know or are friend of a friends. I hate loaning out tools to someone that is always putting expensive parts on their car because they obviously have money, let them buy their own tools. Or take the damn car to a shop. I cant stand wanna be mechanics. The biggest thing that pisses me off is loaning shit and just not getting it back. I truly think a lot of people borrow shit hoping that they are just gonna keep it.

That being said best friends, family etc i loan. I like helping them out.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Imake my living w/ snap-on tools..... DON'T ASK TO BORROW THEM...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information