Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

One heck of a story

U.S. Marine Walks Away From Shot to Helmet
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - Wall Street Journal

MARJAH, Afghanistan — It is hard to know whether Monday was a very bad day or a very good day for Lance Cpl. Andrew Koenig.

On the one hand, he was shot in the head. On the other, the bullet bounced off him.

In one of those rare battlefield miracles, an insurgent sniper hit Lance Cpl. Koenig dead on in the front of his helmet, and he walked away from it with a smile on his face.

"I don't think I could be any luckier than this," Lance Cpl. Koenig said two hours after the shooting.

Lance Cpl. Koenig's brush with death came during a day of intense fighting for the Marines of Company B, 1st Battalion, 6th Regiment.

The company had landed by helicopter in the predawn dark on Saturday, launching a major coalition offensive to take Marjah from the Taliban.

The Marines set up an outpost in a former drug lab and roadside-bomb factory and soon found themselves under near-constant attack.

Lance Cpl. Koenig, a lanky 21-year-old with jug-handle ears and a burr of sandy hair, is a designated marksman. His job is to hit the elusive Taliban fighters hiding in the tightly packed neighborhood near the base.

The insurgent sniper hit him first. The Casper, Wyo., native was kneeling on the roof of the one-story outpost, looking for targets.

He was reaching back to his left for his rifle when the sniper's round slammed into his helmet.

The impact knocked him onto his back.

"I'm hit," he yelled to his buddy, Lance Cpl. Scott Gabrian, a 21-year-old from St. Louis.

Lance Cpl. Gabrian belly-crawled along the rooftop to his friend's side. He patted Lance Cpl. Koenig's body, looking for wounds.

Then he noticed that the plate that usually secures night-vision goggles to the front of Lance Cpl. Koenig's helmet was missing. In its place was a thumb-deep dent in the hard Kevlar shell.

Lance Cpl. Gabrian slid his hands under his friend's helmet, looking for an entry wound. "You're not bleeding," he assured Lance Cpl. Koenig. "You're going to be OK."

Lance Cpl. Koenig climbed down the metal ladder and walked to the company aid station to see the Navy corpsman.

The only injury: A small, numb red welt on his forehead, just above his right eye.

He had spent 15 minutes with Doc, as the Marines call the medics, when an insurgent's rocket-propelled grenade exploded on the rooftop, next to Lance Cpl. Gabrian.

The shock wave left him with a concussion and hearing loss.

He joined Lance Cpl. Koenig at the aid station, where the two friends embraced, their eyes welling.

The men had served together in Afghanistan in 2008, and Lance Cpl. Koenig had survived two blasts from roadside bombs.

"We've got each other's backs," Lance Cpl. Gabrian said, the explosion still ringing in his ears.

Word of Lance Cpl. Koenig's close call spread quickly through the outpost, as he emerged from the shock of the experience and walked through the outpost with a Cheshire cat grin.

"He's alive for a reason," Tim Coderre, a North Carolina narcotics detective working with the Marines as a consultant, told one of the men. "From a spiritual point of view, that doesn't happen by accident."

Gunnery Sgt. Kevin Shelton, whose job is to keep the Marines stocked with food, water and gear, teased the lance corporal for failing to take care of his helmet.

"I need that damaged-gear statement tonight," Gunnery Sgt. Shelton told Lance Cpl. Koenig. It was understood, however, that Lance Cpl. Koenig would be allowed to keep the helmet as a souvenir.

Gunnery Sgt. Shelton, a 36-year-old veteran from Nashville, said he had never seen a Marine survive a direct shot to the head.

But next to him was Cpl. Christopher Ahrens, who quietly mentioned that two bullets had grazed his helmet the day the Marines attacked Marjah. The same thing, he said, happened to him three times in firefights in Iraq.

Cpl. Ahrens, 26, from Havre de Grace, Md., lifted the camouflaged cloth cover on his helmet, exposing the holes where the bullets had entered and exited.

He turned it over to display the picture card tucked inside, depicting Michael the Archangel stamping on Lucifer's head. "I don't need luck," he said.

After his moment with Lance Cpl. Gabrian, Lance Cpl. Koenig put his dented helmet back on his head and climbed the metal ladder to resume his rooftop duty within an hour of being hit.

"I know any one of these guys would do the same," he explained. "If they could keep going, they would."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,586083,00.html

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

wow... i hope they got the sniper...

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Christ, close call

white
    1997 dodge dakota

like i say "shoot" happens but thank god hes ok

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that those shitty kevlar helmets would have taken a bullet Thank god he is ok
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    '99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mike97dakota View Post
    like i say "shoot" happens but thank god hes ok
    Every time you post I die a little inside...

Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that those shitty kevlar helmets would have taken a bullet Thank god he is ok
    /\ This. +1,000! Glad he's alright. Man they go through with some rough shit don't they?

Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Tonik View Post
    Every time you post I die a little inside...
    That's undoubtedly the intention.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Makes me think twice about how good I've got it day-to-day. Thankful he's ok

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Holy shit, that's insane. I want one of whatever lucky charm he has, lol.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Those helmets are design to take a direct hit by standard 7.62 (Russian made) round. Just the standard rounds, not anything special, like Teflon coated or armor penatrator.

Good reminder to cover your head, boys!

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Last year I ran into a former student of mine who had taken a sniper shot to the head during the battle for Fallujah (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n16118545/). It really brought things into perspective for me after seeing the scars and watching Brandon now struggle for the words that came easily to him all those days during school.

We continue to pray for our soldiers' safety and are thankful to the service they give.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Those helmets are design to take a direct hit by standard 7.62 (Russian made) round. Just the standard rounds, not anything special, like Teflon coated or armor penatrator.
    I don't know what helmet your talking about but I wore one every day for 8 months in Afghanistan and they were only designed for scrapnel (spell?) They told us that they wouldn't take a direct hit from any bullet. Are we talking about different helmets

Black
    99 Z28

He's from the town where I grew up. Don't really know the kid, but it's a small town, I probably saw him around or have family that is friends with him. Crazy stuff.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I don't know what helmet your talking about but I wore one every day for 8 months in Afghanistan and they were only designed for scrapnel (spell?) They told us that they wouldn't take a direct hit from any bullet. Are we talking about different helmets

Same one Kevlar, that I also wore for 16yrs. I've seen the field test video from Aberdeen Proving Grounds. Again, as I stated prior post, a standard issue 7.62mm Russin made bullet, but not to anything that has been modified or upgraded. Most Sniper's are using special made bullets like penetrators.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    They're built to deflect bullets not take a direct hit. A 7.62 will go through a 1/4" of steel so if you think those cheesy kevlars will stop a direct hit you're . Yea I know the story says it was a direct hit but they're full of shit.

Thread Information