Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Toyota - Tacoma
    2008 - Silver Streak

Old Jeep or New Toyota?

Ok. I have a jeep that is 8 years old. Starting to give me trouble but still I'm sure it is repairable. ANd I probably could get a few more years out of it. It is paid off. But I've just got word from my attorney that I should be getting a divorce settelment in about a month. So a should I take the money and put it into my jeep and put the rest away for a rainy day or should I just take it and invest in what I really want? Being a single parent - old jeep sounds good cause it is less monthly expense - but I fear it won't stay dependable for too much longer - in which case I now that I have the money - I should just do it??

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

buy a mustange

Perhaps look into a newer-used vehicle. I'm not sure about your area, but here there are 'budget' lots all over, one in particular specifies in '00 and newer used vehicles, all under 10k for the most part, generally in the 3-6k range, every make and model with generally acceptable miles (40-100k)

Toyota - Tacoma
    2008 - Silver Streak

trust me I was looking at mustangs today - but i gotta get something suitable for my life.
    i'm just afraid i'll get stuck with a lemon. last car i bought used - ended up cost me a fortune and finally i got rid of it - just was a huge wast of money.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

wait what does toyota have to do with this

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

lol, good call atc.

Yes, buying used cars is very hard to do. There's almost always a reason WHY that car that is used is being sold, although on occasion there are the cars that people just trade in every two-three years after their factory warranties run out. Look for those cars, you know, around 40-60k miles maybe, you know if they've been driven that far chances are they aren't that bad. I tend to avoid vehicles with '50k on car, 10k on motor/trans', i steer clear of those types.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

keep the jeep if its a cherokee with a 4.0. fix it and drive it for a bunch more years. i have a 1995 and im running it till it wont go any longer. i love her and i wont get rid of her till shes too expensive to fix. that 4.0 is a honey of an engine. its the stupid shit that breaks on the cherokee like the rear end and the a/c evaporators.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

general rule of thumb on a used car is avoid used cars 60k and over. why do i know this? im a dealer tech and often service them. you can get some real creampuff ( nice cars) that are between 20k and 60k that are in excellent condition but jus something someone either outgrew or got bored of.

Toyota - Tacoma
    2008 - Silver Streak

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    keep the jeep if its a cherokee with a 4.0. fix it and drive it for a bunch more years. i have a 1995 and im running it till it wont go any longer. i love her and i wont get rid of her till shes too expensive to fix. that 4.0 is a honey of an engine. its the stupid shit that breaks on the cherokee like the rear end and the a/c evaporators.
    mine is a 98 - and yes i know im an idiot but the stupid stuff that breaks? will that cost me alot??

Toyota - Tacoma
    2008 - Silver Streak

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    wait what does toyota have to do with this
    that's what I want - toyota pick-up - love em.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

soooo about the toyota...

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
    mine is a 98 - and yes i know im an idiot but the stupid stuff that breaks? will that cost me alot??
    the a/c evaporator is expensive to get done because its pretty labor intensive. the rear end i think is around 3 to 400 bucks? to me its worth spending to jus keep her going. the engine and transes go forever as long as you MAINTAIN them.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

ohhh... hmm

Toyota - Tacoma
    2008 - Silver Streak

general rule of thumb on a used car is avoid used cars 60k and over. why do i know this? im a dealer tech and often service them. you can get some real creampuff ( nice cars) that are between 20k and 60k that are in excellent condition but jus something someone either outgrew or got bored of.
    and something like that - wouldn't i still probably have a car payment? i expect after i pay off my attorney and a loan - i would probably have about 5 or 6 grand plus trade in on my jeep which the blue book valuse i think was around 4,500 a year ago. haven't looked recently.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

bluebook is nice to look at, but the problem is they never give you that unless they're already making a boatload on the vehicle you're buying. good luck either way.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

dont rely on trade ins because as zapper stated its all how the deal is working for the selling dealer, ie what they took the car you want in for vs how much they will sell it to you and how much they think they can sell your car for.

Toyota - Tacoma
    2008 - Silver Streak

the a/c evaporator is expensive to get done because its pretty labor intensive. the rear end i think is around 3 to 400 bucks? to me its worth spending to jus keep her going. the engine and transes go forever as long as you MAINTAIN them.
    i get my oil changed and tune ups that is aobut it. i don't run it very hard - i put less then 10,000 miles a year on it. your 95 - was it new?? when did have to start putting money into it? my has been choking when i start it and the gauges all went to 0 for about a 1/2 hour last week - just kind of scared me that it is not so dependable now.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

if your cherokee is only a 98 id fix whatevers wrong with it short of a blown engine or trans

Toyota - Tacoma
    2008 - Silver Streak

dont rely on trade ins because as zapper stated its all how the deal is working for the selling dealer, ie what they took the car you want in for vs how much they will sell it to you and how much they think they can sell your car for.
    i always heard not to even mention trade in until the deal is done then throw the trade in so then you can push more for blue book value.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

thats weird about the gauges, but if they're working now just cross your fingers.

Friends parents had a cherokee sport 4wd, not sure what year, im thinking along the lines of 95-98ish, had serious electrical issues with that, somewehre in the big cluster of wires behind the dash.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
    i always heard not to even mention trade in until the deal is done then throw the trade in so then you can push more for blue book value.
    That could be true, I don't know. I've never bought a car from a dealer so I don't know much about that. Every vehicle i've had has been bought/sold to/from individuals.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information