Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil change

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Oil change

How many of you on here take your car to a Chevrolet/GM dealership to get your oil changed? I'm toying with the idea of taking mine to one for the first time in many years. Our cars are old, so I'm wondering what kind of reactions I'd get when I pull a 13 year old car with 48k miles on it up to a Chevy dealerships service department.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

I have my own oil and filters. Generally it is best to use not only the same oil weight, but also the same oil brand... Dealers often service vehicles that are 10-20 years old as many older folks keep cars for long periods of time.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Oh I'll buy my own oil (Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30) and filter. Also, would they even do the change on it being that I don't have catalytic converters?

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

I change my own oil. Nothing like the pride of doing it yourself.

Siggy, I seriously doubt they'd care whether or not your car had the converters removed.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I generally have too, but I just don't feel like jacking it up.

Quote Originally Posted by FinZ28 View Post
    I change my own oil. Nothing like the pride of doing it yourself.

Siggy, I seriously doubt they'd care whether or not your car had the converters removed.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Many people have thought the same way, I just don't want to do the work to save 20-30 bucks. Usually it works fine but every now and then there is a FU%^ up and you get mad at yourself for not doing it yourself.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

But wouldn't a Chevrolet dealership with certified auto technicians never in a million years screw something up?

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Many people have thought the same way, I just don't want to do the work to save 20-30 bucks. Usually it works fine but every now and then there is a FU%^ up and you get mad at yourself for not doing it yourself.

Arctic White, red/gray

Lol

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    But wouldn't a Chevrolet dealership with certified auto technicians never in a million years screw something up?
    The entry level tech they have doing oil changes was probably in third grade when your car was new...

Arctic White, red/gray

True, but it just isn't about age or experience it is about the work load. These guys have a crap of oil change to do throughout the day, they are not taking their time. When I change my oil yea it takes me 30 minutes or more because I am not in a hurry trying to make a business as much money as possible.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Which is why I'm leaning towards taking it to a local auto garage to get it done. I just found out the guy who ran the shop I used to take it to years ago has his own shop now.

True, but it just isn't about age or experience it is about the work load. These guys have a crap of oil change to do throughout the day, they are not taking their time. When I change my oil yea it takes me 30 minutes or more because I am not in a hurry trying to make a business as much money as possible.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I don't trust anyone to touch my car besides me. Plus shops always over crank the drain bolt. I went to change my wife's car's oil and it broke my wrench because of how tight it was, I had to pull out my impact to get that sucker off. That's how they get you, they hope you will give up and take it to them .
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Or, look at it the other way around. If you screw it up you only have yourself to blame. My Z is overdue as it is and I've been debating just going and getting the oil and filter and running it by the local Express Oil Change and letting them change it because I haven't had the time to do it myself.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by FinZ28 View Post
    Or, look at it the other way around. If you screw it up you only have yourself to blame. My Z is overdue as it is and I've been debating just going and getting the oil and filter and running it by the local Express Oil Change and letting them change it because I haven't had the time to do it myself.
    Don't F^&* up when doing it yourself.

Black/ Silver

How do you fuck up an oil change? That's what I would like to know.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Buddy, there are plenty of people out there who have no idea how to change a battery out, nor do they care to know.

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post

red
    95 Z28

There probably wouldnt be any reaction to your car either. I have no doubt they've seen older and nicer cars with fewer miles than yours. And they also wouldnt care about having no cats.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Buddy, there are plenty of people out there who have no idea how to change a battery out, nor do they care to know.
    My point was I really have no idea how you would fuck up an oil change. It is so simple. If you can't change your oil or at least know how, you don't deserve a car IMO. Another point if you could fuck up, then who's to say they won't. Just my .02. I know tons of people don't know how to change their oil but then they aren't changing it, they bring it to a shop.

I often wonder a similar thing but about my brakes, if I were to bring my car into have the brakes looked at which are cts-v calipers/c6 z06 rotors if I would get a reaction at all?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

There are no nicer cars than mine. They'll be drooling on their work shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    There probably wouldnt be any reaction to your car either. I have no doubt they've seen older and nicer cars with fewer miles than yours. And they also wouldnt care about having no cats.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Leaving the old filter gasket on is the number one F$%^ up IMO. I have seen it done at shops and by people doing their own. Another thing is with some of the german cars the filters do not work like a normal filter. On my sisters VW you have to remove the filbter cover and then drop in the new filter and put it back on. If the filter moves while you are doing this you will not get a proper seal and it will leak. The worst part is the way they are designed allows the filter to move when reinstalling but you can't see it when it is inside the housing so you don't really know until you check for leaks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information