Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

OBX - How to get there?

It's been a while, but we are once again heading to the Outer Banks for the family vacation. In years past, we have tried a variety of routes out of southern PA to avoid the hassle of the D.C. loop to I-95. However, once south of there, we have always ended up on I-95, looping 295 around Richmond and then across 64 to Newport News, and on down to OBX.

Every time we go it seems we have witnessed at least one pile up on I-95 -- and there have been close calls with idiots weaving in and out of the lanes trying to go as fast as they possibly can. I try to avoid this road as much as possible on our trip down. Then, when we hit 64, usually by the time we are halfway across we end up snarled in stop and go traffic.

The trip basically sucks and amounts to 12 hours of stress. I'm looking for any suggestions on alternative routes, especially from around the Richmond area over to OBX. I know several members live down that way and probably know the roads pretty well.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I just did this last weekend going to Atlantic Beach NC. The traffic around NV sucked. I feel your pain. We just followed the gps so I have no advice for you. I believe you can take 301 south thru Md but there's traffic lights all the way.

White
    02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I just did this last weekend going to Atlantic Beach NC. The traffic around NV sucked. I feel your pain. We just followed the gps so I have no advice for you. I believe you can take 301 south thru Md but there's traffic lights all the way.
    I used to live in the Baltimore area, and traveled to NC all the time. You "can" take 301, but there are a lot of lights and I think even a few tolls. 95, normally, is your best bet; however, the best way to go about it is to either travel WAYYYYYYY early, or wayyyyy late...and this time of year...well, Memorial Day traffic around DC blows...no way around it. BTW...I used to go to Atlantic Beach all the time when I was a teenager!

dale

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks guys. We head out next Friday so we won't have any holiday traffic to deal with. The plan is to grab a hotel in Virginia since we are not leaving until the afternoon. Doesn't help us to drive into the night too far as we cannot get in our house until 4:00 p.m. on Saturday.

I go there several times a year. By far the best route is to get down to MD 301 via MD 32. Take 301 into VA to Port Royal. 17 south (55-60mph limits, be careful in Gloucester Co!!) down to 64. 64 to 664, and back to 64 (MapQuest it ) Follow the signs OBX on 168. 168 becomes 158.

I've never had any traffic issues on that route. You hit quite a few lights in Waldorf, MD and on 17 just before 64, but it's MUCH better than the 95/295/64 alternative! But again, when on 17, once you hit Saluda keep it at 4mph over the limit tops until the York river bridge.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ I just took a look at this. Quite a bit further east above D.C. than we have gone before, but to avoid I-95 it might be worth it. Thanks.

Thread Information