Black
    1999 T/A

Exclamation NY to the Tail of the Dragon then Myrtle Road Rally

Hey guys. Some friends and I are roaddtripin from upstate NY to Deals Gap NC, Tail of the Dragon and then to Myrtle to finish it off before headin home. So far we have 2 Trans Am's a 99 and 98, a boosted integra, boosted sol, A4, a fiero. Its gunna be a crazy fun time and anyone is welcome to join our caravan. We're lookin at leaving March 16th in the afternoon, drive all night and stay somewhere round The Tail of the Dragon. Spend the next day or 2 runnin the Dragon then its on to Myrtle to finish of the week.

www.tailofthedragon.com <------- Info on the Dragon

PM me if u might be intrested!

Got about 20 people intrested as of now, and we will be making reservations within a week or so.

Awaiting Activation
    Tail of the Dragon is killer, I try and run it at least 2 times a year it's my favorite road, it's like 315 curve's in 11 miles Deal's Gap your gonna love it have fun. Hell I pretty much built my SS to run HWY 129

Silver, Black
    03 Viper, 05 Escalade

That sounds like a lot of fun...Too bad my car is off the road till May....

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

I live about, oh, 15 minutes from the Dragon in Knoxville, TN. I love that road, 315 curves in 11 miles. Damn it's a rush! Give me a holler, I might run it with ya'll. Never hurts to have some natives show you the line to run it on!

Black
    1999 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by 98-LS1 View Post
    I live about, oh, 15 minutes from the Dragon in Knoxville, TN. I love that road, 315 curves in 11 miles. Damn it's a rush! Give me a holler, I might run it with ya'll. Never hurts to have some natives show you the line to run it on!

We'll def let ya know!

Black
    1999 T/A

We'll be making reservations soon, so if anyone wants to make the long haul with us let me know ASAP!!!

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

You will have a great time on that stretch of road!

Black
    1999 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels View Post
    You will have a great time on that stretch of road!
    Hells ya we will!!! I moved to Charlotte NC from NY and loved the drive back and forth when I wanted to visit my fam in NY!

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

I took my suv with my family last Thanksgiving on that road. I scratched the "SIDE" of the mudflap on that road (not the bottom, THE SIDE). It is wicked fun.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    I took my suv with my family last Thanksgiving on that road. I scratched the "SIDE" of the mudflap on that road (not the bottom, THE SIDE). It is wicked fun.

The side of the mud flap,I'm guess'in you must of got alittle too close to one of the few gaurd rails cuz if you scraped the moutain side you'd scrape more than the mud flap.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

There ain't no guard rails on deals gap, you mess up you die. That's why so many motorcycle riders get killed every year.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by 98-LS1 View Post
    There ain't no guard rails on deals gap, you mess up you die. That's why so many motorcycle riders get killed every year.
    Man you must of been going to fast and missed them but there are a few, one I can think of is a 90 degree right hander alittle ways before the NC boarder where there is a water run off and the rail protect's you from hitting that little gully. It use to be really cool years ago when more cars ran it than motorcycle's.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe00ss View Post
    The side of the mud flap,I'm guess'in you must of got alittle too close to one of the few gaurd rails cuz if you scraped the moutain side you'd scrape more than the mud flap.
    I hit nothing but the road or the edge of it, the switchbacks are so tight and banked that I think the suspension articulation of my race suv (BUICK RAINIER HA HA) just leaned over enough. I thought it was tire rub when it happened but the side of the mudflap had a piece rubbed off when I stopped later to look around. HWY129

Black
    1999 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    I hit nothing but the road or the edge of it, the switchbacks are so tight and banked that I think the suspension articulation of my race suv (BUICK RAINIER HA HA) just leaned over enough. I thought it was tire rub when it happened but the side of the mudflap had a piece rubbed off when I stopped later to look around. HWY129

Thats awesome!!!

You'd be wise to stay within the speed limit while you're there. There's an article somewhere saying how the cops are going to be watching that road heavily.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

I wonder how? there is nowhere to hide or pull off. Make sure to stop at the top where there is a pull off and listen. You can hear a crotchrocket making his run for miles and then they appear.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

The Tail is the second best stretch of asphalt on this contenent second only to 'Going to the sun' in Montana.

Reference Website:

http://www.nps.gov/archive/glac/photos.htm

Personal Adventure:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20323

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe00ss View Post
    Man you must of been going to fast and missed them but there are a few, one I can think of is a 90 degree right hander alittle ways before the NC boarder where there is a water run off and the rail protect's you from hitting that little gully. It use to be really cool years ago when more cars ran it than motorcycle's.
    yeah your right, I was thinking about the main switchback curves where your dead if you slide off the road. Those guard rails are on up torwards the top. There is that big concret wall thing halfway up at the overlook too. Just be careful though, it's dangerous with all those bike riders hauling ass and the state troopers out trying to catch people.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by turby View Post
    You'd be wise to stay within the speed limit while you're there. There's an article somewhere saying how the cops are going to be watching that road heavily.

Uh, yeah, I can tell you that from Experience. Blount county cops are assholes up there, I got nailed for running 65 in a 35, basically the Judge was like this and I was like this when I got the ticket
    Just got to be careful, they ride bikes and radio speeders back to cruisers waiting at both ends of the mountain, the Tennessee and North Carolina side.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Oh yeah, we got caught in the middle of a Porche 911 club going back down the mountain one day. It's fun power sliding around corners chasing a new porche in a LS1 Z-28. them guys didn't think a camaro could keep up with them, ha ha, just got to know your car and the road.

Thread Information