"now,you pissed us off!!" Trouble maker's Avatar

Not looking forward to this tommorrow morning!

Myelogram (Not looking forward to this)

Table of Contents
    What is it?
    Why is it done?
    How is it done?
    What are the limitations?
    What are the risks?

What is it?
    A myelogram is an older test that is still used to examine the spinal canal and spinal cord. A special dye is placed into the spinal sac that shows up on X-rays to indicate any abnormalities. Before there were CT and MRI scans, the myelogram was the best test to determine the cause of pressure on the spinal cord or spinal nerves. Today the myelogram is used only for very special purposes, such as for complicated revision spine surgeries. It is rarely the first test used if your doctor suspects you have a herniated disc.

Why is it done?
    The dye used during a myelogram outlines the spinal cord and nerve roots. This helps your doctor determine if there are any unusual indentations or abnormal shapes in the spinal cord. Anything that is pushing into the nerves shows up as an indentation into the spinal sac. This indentation could be from a herniated or bulging disc, a tumor, or an injury to the spinal nerve roots. The myelogram is useful for patients who have metal plates and screws in their spine, which prevents them from having either a CT or MRI scan.

How is it done?
    The doctor must perform a spinal tap to inject dye into the spinal sac. The dye mixes with the spinal fluid so that it will show up on X-rays. You will be asked to lie on a tilting table while multiple X-rays are taken to show the flow of the dye through the spine. The myelogram is usually combined with a CT scan to get a better view of the spine in cross section and to check the health of the bones and nerves.

What are the limitations?
    A myelogram does not show the soft tissues. It shows only the bones and the spinal fluid where the dye has mixed with the fluid.

What are the risks?
    Because the myelogram requires a spinal tap, there are more risks associated with it than most other tests. This is one reason that doctors prefer to use "noninvasive" tests first, such as the MRI and CT scan. The risks associated with a spinal tap include meningitis (infection of the spinal fluid), spinal headache, and allergic reaction to the dye. There is also a very small chance that the needle will cause bleeding around the spinal sac. The myelogram requires X-rays, which use radiation. Large doses of radiation can increase the risk of cancer. The vast majority of patients who have X-rays taken will never get enough radiation to worry about cancer. Only patients who have large numbers of X-rays-hundreds-over many years need to be concerned.

Hang in there, it'll be ok, and over soon. Good Luck

I made it.I wouldn't wish this test on anyone.It feels like I got run over on my lower back by a truck,then slowly ran under a combine farm tractor..well you get the point!

Oh yeah,thanks B.K. for the incentive!

black
    2002 corvette coupe

Well bro, its cool you madeit out ok. I know it must have been hell to sleep the night before. I am 29 and haven't had surgery since I was 10 (tonsils). I'm scared too.......I know something must be coming...

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Wow I had a few MRIs where you have to go all the way in the tube , and I hate that laying still part.. Hang tough

I had the Mylogram done first,then they put me in the half donut(C.T.scan)then they wheeled me over to the MRI long tube casket,I couldn't move for twenty minutes or If I moved,It would take up to forty minutes!(needless to say,I was stiller than still of the night!)They are preparing me for my Back surgery soon(repairing two collapsed discs,and There suspecting fragments in the spinal canal that are pressing on a nerve.This is a work comp case,that we have been fighting since march of 04'.I had two arm surgeries,two hand surgeries,and than they put me into a military style work hardening program(five days a week for five hours a day)Man was I getting in shape..Until I was doing a lunge exercise and than my back felt that it was time to join my leg and ass for a threesome!!My attorney has linked that with being work comp related,because It was ordered by my former employee of 18 years(Oh yeah,did I tell you that they terminated me too!)So,we were getting ready to try the case,and on the day of the hearing,the employer and Ins co.Decided to commit to the case.(they would of lost their ass if it got in front of the arbitor)So here I sit waiting to get fixed,and rehabbed,so I can get this thing settled(hopefully get sent to school and a lump settlement..(they were just getting ready to settle my arm and hand before all this happened,so now everything (arm,hand and back)is one case!.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

what the hell happened to you?

I have been in the bottled water business since I was 13 years old.Offered a good route making good money,so I figured I would take it ,make a few bucks,save and then go to college.Well that turned out to be 18 years.Hard work,but I would come in and start work(which was 5 minutes from my house,Started at 8:00a.m.-work my own pace.(averaged around 80-90 stops per day)We were on commission basis,but my area was established.We did not have to sell,just maintain our accounts(residential,and commercial)I only averaged 5-6 hours a day,and made over 75,000 + excellant health,dental,vision+5 weeks vacation,14 personal days+all the holidays paid.At Christmas time,I averaged around 1200.00+per week in tips and presents.It was a ball busting job,but You knew what time you were getting home everyday!I had a new freightliner 10 bay truck,air,cd,power windows...,no boss on your back..If I wanted to stop for a burger,or stop to check out a car for sale..It was cool..I met alot of people,in high places(which will come in handy later when I am back in action)That all stopped when the Company was sold(To nestle waters)Who's plan was to replace all of us higher paid employees!(why pay us 30.00-40.00 per hour when they could replace with 10.00 an hour workers-so they thought-This company now has a job turnaround like a mcdonalds or burgerking)Well after 18 years,my body started breaking down-left arm and hand needed surgery,then 7 months later right arm repeated along with hand,and back..Well,they figured it was easier to terminate than to take care of an honest,hard worker..,so I hired the best work comp Lawyer in the City of Chicago...and So far everything is falling back into place...(this is after losing our house and everything else....So basically We are starting over again....That is why I tell everyone,sometimes the money overpowers your thoughts...go to school and get a good degree,and get a desk job,where you can use your mind,instead of busting your body..My buddies who are right behind me are now experiencing same things..Time for them to get out,or they will be right behind me!!I got to move ahead!!!

Thread Information