Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

New Toy Considerations

I have been thinking about it too much, and for too long. I am ready to add to the stable. I will be selling my 2008 Impala LTZ to open up more garage space and will need a vehicle to take its spot at some point. So, first and foremost, if anyone is interested in a very clean Impala, let me know.

I want something that will turn heads, and have the ability to easily embarrass even my SS on the street. I want the car to be an automatic. I love my stick shift in my SS, but it is not something I want in a new car. I want the car to be semi-comfortable, perform well in the handling department, and have a platform to be built to roughly 850HP, reliably and safely. I do not want to supercharge this new car, period. After my fiasco with pulleys, this new car will be turbo hands-down.

I have looked at the newer Camaro, Corvette, and one of my personal favorites, the Cadillac CTS-V. Looking for a discussion to pursue below on what cars you like and think might be suitable.

I'm probably another year or two from making this purchase, but who knows, maybe it will happen sooner.

BRR
    2002 SS LE

The CTS-V's are supercharged. All of the upper HP Camaros and Vettes are supercharged, even the aftermarket companies like Fireball use superchargers. Unless you are wanting to go through the hassle of deleting the supercharger and adding a turbo you are going to have to start with just a plain Camaro or Corvette. My vote would be a C7 Corvette. There are some really good deals out there on '14's and '15's. With a curb weight of 3300 and of course, the 6.2L, you would have a super fun, very streetable and well mannered 850hp cruiser IMO. Some suspension work I'm sure would also be in order if you were planning to do more than just cruise in on Saturday night.

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I have been thinking about it too much, and for too long. I am ready to add to the stable. I will be selling my 2008 Impala LTZ to open up more garage space and will need a vehicle to take its spot at some point. So, first and foremost, if anyone is interested in a very clean Impala, let me know.

I want something that will turn heads, and have the ability to easily embarrass even my SS on the street. I want the car to be an automatic. I love my stick shift in my SS, but it is not something I want in a new car. I want the car to be semi-comfortable, perform well in the handling department, and have a platform to be built to roughly 850HP, reliably and safely. I do not want to supercharge this new car, period. After my fiasco with pulleys, this new car will be turbo hands-down.

I have looked at the newer Camaro, Corvette, and one of my personal favorites, the Cadillac CTS-V. Looking for a discussion to pursue below on what cars you like and think might be suitable.

I'm probably another year or two from making this purchase, but who knows, maybe it will happen sooner.
    Budget? How much room do you need?
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion
    I tried reading that article but it had too many words.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Well, if we are talking about pie in the sky, my pick would be from the following list:

C7 Grand Sport
    911 C4S (or Turbo, since you want to turbo the car anyway)
    GT350 (I'd go for the "base" 350--if you can even call it that--rather than the R... wait... are these available in auto... ?)
    Viper GTS (or, any late model Viper, really... or any Viper as far back as 96, now that I think about it some more... of course, those are only available in M6, so, I guess the Viper's out).

Meh... maybe I suck at making a list of autos...

If you're considering a CTS-V, why not also look at a Hellcat? Slap a CAI on it and BAM! 850 rwhp.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

time for an exotic
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I don't really have a budget, but I'm not looking to spend 100k+ on a car. Car doesn't have to be new. Just want low miles so I know I'm not getting something someone else already beat the piss out of.

I'm 6'2 with long legs. I want leg room.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by OKSS View Post
    The CTS-V's are supercharged. All of the upper HP Camaros and Vettes are supercharged, even the aftermarket companies like Fireball use superchargers. Unless you are wanting to go through the hassle of deleting the supercharger and adding a turbo you are going to have to start with just a plain Camaro or Corvette. My vote would be a C7 Corvette. There are some really good deals out there on '14's and '15's. With a curb weight of 3300 and of course, the 6.2L, you would have a super fun, very streetable and well mannered 850hp cruiser IMO. Some suspension work I'm sure would also be in order if you were planning to do more than just cruise in on Saturday night.
    Yeah, I know. If I ended up going new, I wouldn't mind the SC being it would be covered under warranty. However, like you mentioned, there's different options to start at for a base. What kind of price ranges have you seen (if you've looked) at the 14's and 15's?

They have a new Grand Sport at the dealership up the road from me (red/black combo) selling for 60's.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

if I were buying another sports call this is the first place I'd be calling to see if they were still doing this

Ohio Dealer Sells 727hp Supercharged Mustangs for $40K | Digital Trends

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

How about a hell cat?

BRR
    2002 SS LE

The Grand Sports in this area (Tulsa, Oklahoma City) are in the 35k-38k range here with usually around 10k-15k miles. I would never buy a new car if I was planning to modify it like you are talking about.

If you are wanting a good, fast car with a warranty and are not against a supercharger with a warranty, why not check out the Fireball Camaro? 720hp for $53k. You can only get them through Eskridge Chevy in Guthrie, Oklahoma. There will be more legroom than a Vette, be cheaper to get to 850hp, but will not be quite the head turner a Grand Sport would be.
    Last edited by OKSS; 01-02-2017 at 01:09 PM.

red
    95 Z28

A year or two from making the purchase? Lol.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    A year or two from making the purchase? Lol.
    I could wait 30 years and it still would be before you ever owned anything fast.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    How about a hell cat?
    Not really a fan of the way they look. I don't hate them, but I don't love them either.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The Grand Sports in this area (Tulsa, Oklahoma City) are in the 35k-38k range here with usually around 10k-15k miles. I would never buy a new car if I was planning to modify it like you are talking about.

If you are wanting a good, fast car with a warranty and are not against a supercharger with a warranty, why not check out the Fireball Camaro? 720hp for $53k. You can only get them through Eskridge Chevy in Guthrie, Oklahoma. There will be more legroom than a Vette, be cheaper to get to 850hp, but will not be quite the head turner a Grand Sport would be.
    I'll have to look into that. Don't know much about that particular package off-hand.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I could wait 30 years and it still would be before you ever owned anything fast.

Why so combative? That was funny though.
    Last edited by 5.0THIS; 01-02-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Spoken like someone who has never owned a C5+ Vette. Corvettes have a decent amount of room inside.... as does the hatch length and width wise. A 2016 corvette has almost 5 inches more leg room than a 2016 Camaro.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

This is such a strange order to fill. How new does it have to be? No limit on vehicle size, doors etc? Are you asking for 850whp or 850 crank(700-730whp)?

I love the way challengers look, they blow the CTS-V out of the water in my opinion as far as looks go but you said you don't them. If you went with a 2008+ CTS-V you could probably get away with leaving the bottom end alone when converting to turbo... as they come built for boost and there are plenty of 700whp+ CTS-Vs on the stock bottom end. A corvette (non zr1 or z06) would need the entire engine regdone to handle the amount of boost you need to reliably hit 700-850whp.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Maybe I need to revisit the Challenger. It just seems like there are a lot of them in my area which I don't necessarily care for.

In regards to how "new", I guess that's pretty open. By new, I pretty much meant new to me, as in, just adding a car to my fleet. I don't really have a stipulation so long as the end result meets what I want.

BRR
    2002 SS LE

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Spoken like someone who has never owned a C5+ Vette. Corvettes have a decent amount of room inside.... as does the hatch length and width wise. A 2016 corvette has almost 5 inches more leg room than a 2016 Camaro.
    Not sure where you are getting your specs, but from what I am reading, you are WAY off. At best they are equal. Chevy's website has Corvette as 43" and Camaro as 42.6. Maybe your measuring device is inaccurate.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Still pretty early in the game for the new LT1's, but I personally haven't seen any make more than 550 rwhp without FI.
    Even with FI, the fuel system maxes out around 650, about the same as the limit of the ring lands.
    Not saying 850 is impossible, just a lot more work and $$$ to get there N/A.

LT4 will handle more obviously, being supercharged and having beefier internals.
    There's a guy in Houston pushing almost 800 with a few mods to his 17 ZL1. ZL1_Tommy I think is his name over on Camaro6.

I still have a thing for Vipers, and would probably end up with one if I were in the same situation as you.

Hellcats are cool, but I'd bet you could save some money (and have more fun) buying a slightly used SRT and making power on your own. Either way, Challengers are some heavy bastards.
    Last edited by Y2KArcticSS; 01-03-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information