Thread: New R/c baja

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

New R/c baja

I just bit the bullet on ebay and bought me a 5th scale gas buggy. its powered by a 23cc 2 stroke engine (same thing found in chain saws,weedeaters, or even leaf blowers. im really anxious to get it shipped to me (from florida) and cant wait to rip it up. does anyone else here have 5th scalers??

http://cgi.ebay.com/King-Motor-Baja-...item3efee69aeb

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

nothing that big for me.... I have an Associated Monster GT. That thing was sick in 2004. I crashed it in 2006 and never got around to fixing it... now parts seem a little harder to come by and I'd rather put the money into my hawk.

Congrats on the buggy.... be sure to post vids of you at the controls tearing it up!

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I didn' even go to the link to know its a King Motor(s) ripoff of the HPI Baja 5B. Nothing wrong with it at all, just some cheaper components. Friend of mine bought the KM knockoff of the Baja 5t (trophy truck version) and has been having decent luck with it. Its friggin' noisy though, he doeshavethe 29cc version with the tuned pipe. Sounds just like a 125cc dirtbike.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

looks cool, but a 23 cc engine is not found in the above appliances, it'd be a weak ass leaf blower or chain saw with a 23 cc engine

Black, Red, Silver Jade
    00 WS6,95 Ta, 69 R code

good luck with it looks like a knock off as stated above, you can go to www.lagrescalerc.com for parts, i have a FG Monster Truck (5 scale) and it will haul....
    2007 Yukon XL (sold)
    2014 Z71 LTZ 3LZ (sold)
    2010 Escalade Platinum AWD , 6.2
    2017 Silverado HC , 4x4, 6.2

2000 WS6 ASC#2300 Holly LS6 intake, TR Custom grind cam, Mac Mids w/ ORY,Hotchkis LCA's, PHB, BMR Extreme STB, BMR re-location brackets,Eibach Sportlines, GMMG, Mccleod Pro 5.0, SLP SFC's, OEM ZO6 wheels
    1995 TA
    1969 R code Mach I my new project

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

They are nearly identical in all aspects. The only thing I have read as being different is the motor, radio/servos, and most of the molded pieces don't have the finish like their HPI counterparts, and the a-arms are beefier and such. Kinda funny the cheaper knockoff is built a bit thicker.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Ohyeah, tip time.

Friends 5T fuel cap did not have any vent, therefor when running, the engine would pull vacuum on the fuel tank and no air could get in, making the motor run out of fuel and stall out. All we did was take a paper clip, heat it up and push it through the center of the cap. Problem solved.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

well crap...this thing wont get here till tuesday

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

haha, waiting is half the game. It'll PROBABLY need tuned out of the box. Yours will probably run different (not much) than the 29cc motor. Friends truck SCREAMS at wot now, just run it easy for the first couple tanks (i wouldn't hold it wot). They say you don't need to break these gasoline motors in, but i'd do it just to be careful myself.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

yea, i planned on running her easy for the first 2 tanks (as a lot of guys say they do) then ill work my magic at tuning the little turd...im really looking forward to (insert ronco quote here) "set it and forget it" for the tune. as i was pissing around with nitro's forever, and their tendencies to need a tune constantly, you almost have to tune a nitro if you cough hard enough next to it. so alot of guys say now that they went 5th scale their done with nitros. just based shearly on set the tune and let her rip for years and years...i know this will need a tune as i sprung for the tuned pipe for it..i was going to get the 29cc bore kit, but i thought it can wait, ill see how the 23cc does with the pipe, if its not good enough then ill buy the 29cc kit and slap her together

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Yeah i really don't suppose there is a noticable difference between the two, but i have no basis for comparison.

Probably upgrading the motor when it goes would be the best thing to do for performance.

black
    02 HAWK aka the beast

let men know how it goes when you get it I may pick one up at that price. with the pipe and bigger bore.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

heres a tip if your wanting to buy one, make him an offer of 460, thats what i did and he bit on it and shipped it out

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    yea, i planned on running her easy for the first 2 tanks (as a lot of guys say they do) then ill work my magic at tuning the little turd...im really looking forward to (insert ronco quote here) "set it and forget it" for the tune. as i was pissing around with nitro's forever, and their tendencies to need a tune constantly, you almost have to tune a nitro if you cough hard enough next to it. so alot of guys say now that they went 5th scale their done with nitros. just based shearly on set the tune and let her rip for years and years...i know this will need a tune as i sprung for the tuned pipe for it..i was going to get the 29cc bore kit, but i thought it can wait, ill see how the 23cc does with the pipe, if its not good enough then ill buy the 29cc kit and slap her together
    I HATED that. Especially with Savage/T-maxx half tank lean. Firing one up an hour after you did last even needed tuning. I spent a ton just two years ago on parts, some little stuff broke, and I said forget it. All of em have been sitting since

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

sigh.... i NEVER tuned my Monster GT.... had a break in done at the shop i bought it from and just ran the little turd for a year or so till i busted some suspension parts and sort of gave up on it. I bet if I had a glow plug and a C cell battery that It'd fire right up too.

Worth noting that I ran about 2 gallons through it in that time as well.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

wow, bet it ran like shit (to someone who knows whats up) too. Just the difference between morning and afternoon can make a nitro run like shit, let alone a year.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

got my baja yesterday. and snapped a few pics right out of the box. this thing is huge, i had some setup to do to it lastnite, and charge the batteries for 10 hours before any play time. got it out today after work, and fired her up. wow. instant smile on my face when it popped to life. nice and loud, sounds like a 125cc dirtbike. haha, and its insanely fast. but its quickness/fastness (if fastness is a word) came with a price. i was whipping shitties and donuts on some gravel, heard a clunk and the motor revved way fast...grenaded the rear differential......some other guys have had this problem, and wrote the seller on ebay and got brand new differentials for free. so thats what i did, and i hope he fixes the problem. if not it comes with a 30 day money back gurantee....

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Damn man, diff that fast.

I've heardyou gotta pull 'em apart (even the HPI rtrs) and check things over for lube/proper assembly. Buddys truck is currently OK, but he's on a-arm 2 on the pass. side and the spur gear is getting pretty worn. He hit a mailbox post and busted the a-arm and bent the shit out of the orange brace around the steering assembly.

Thread Information