Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    2000 ws6

Neighbor backed into my fucking car!!!! dented 1/4 panel

god damn it get home from work to be greeted with a dented quarter panel. She hit it so hard it slid the ass in a couple feet. The one god damn time i had to park on the street this happens.

OK so what do i do now? The dent is a long crease about an inch above where the bumper meets the quarter behind the rear wheel. I dont want a body shop to just knock it out and bondo it. I dont fucking want an ounce of bondo on my car! How do i make sure they replace the entire 1/4 panel?? Is it smart to have them replace the panel, or should i just leave the 1/4 panel alone and have them do what they can with bondo + sanding... (i dont want bondo but if removing the 1/4 would cause more problems then leaving it alone ill consider it).

Only piece of metal on the car, why couldnt she have hit a damn fender!

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

could they cut and weld in a patch cut from a good quarter panel?

Have her insurance pay for it and get a high quality place to do it right that's all.

black
    2000 ws6

i feel bad because shes an old lady and i dont want her insurance to sky rocket, but my baby has to be fixed right!

im pretty sure i wouldnt want another piece just welded in? do they actually do that?

ive never had to deal with something like this. Do i take it anywhere i want or does it have to be approved by her insurance company or something?

Quote Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
    i feel bad because shes an old lady and i dont want her insurance to sky rocket, but my baby has to be fixed right!

im pretty sure i wouldnt want another piece just welded in? do they actually do that?

ive never had to deal with something like this. Do i take it anywhere i want or does it have to be approved by her insurance company or something?
    I bashed the hell out of my rear right quarter panel and tore off my rear bumper in the snow.

The ins company had a slew of approved places for me to choose from and the place I brought it to did an immaculate job. Was just like brand new. No bondo all new parts.

I say screw the old lady. She bashed your car man. For all you know she's sitting on a trust fund. Car insurance is meant for exactly this purpose.

Black
    '05 Ninja ZX-10R

Yeah. And sometimes old ladies shouldn't be driving anyways. I can't count the number of close calls caused by old ladies or men.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Go take a shit in her garden....damn people messing up nice cars...pisses me off.

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
    An insurance company cannot tell you where you can or cannot have your car repaired. If they could, that'd just turn the industry into a bunch of crooks taking kickbacks and giving "favors". Just make sure to lock on the bodyshop to do what "you" want (you're the customer). Insurance companies will tell body shops to use aftermarket parts or get body parts from wrecking yards to keep their costs down. Also, let the bodyshop know your anal and will check for any and every flaw. Stop by from time to time as they're working on the car and make friends with the staff. They'll be more likely to do a good job if they know you're keeping tabs

I've been rear ended 5 times (in my '97 Grand Prix GTP... damn thing had a magnet in the trunk) and have dealt with 4 different insurance companies and 3 different bodyshops.

Make sure you don't sign any paperwork from the insurance company without reading it thoroughly first. They'll slip all kinds of crazy stuff in there that'll protect them and screw you. Also, make sure you understand what you need to do if you notice a problem a week after the work's done. You can make sure the insurance company's still on the hook for the repair. If you don't reach an understanding, you may have to pay for any repairs needed after you sign the release.

Good luck,
    Marc

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Good luck with no bondo. Even if they put a new quarter in it there will still be some body filler. Even if they just fix your original 1/4 a good body shop will work it and they will only have to skim it. My car got backed into in my yard in the front fender and bumper cover.

NBM
    '00 Z28

Good luck man. I'm sure all will be fine when it's said and done.

Hmm i was just reading a post like this from the other point of view...

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum...hreadid=106458

black
    98 WS6

old people driving - reminds me of a south park episode
    screw the neighbour! it's her fault!

black
    2000 ws6

lol thanks for all the replys guys

hopefully she'll be good as new.

Should i demand the 1/4 replaced or would it be better to just leave the existing one there to repair. I dont want them to cause any more probelms by ripping the old 1/4 off.

Ill try to put up some pics tommorow...

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by shadegray
    Yeah. And sometimes old ladies shouldn't be driving anyways. I can't count the number of close calls caused by old ladies or men.
    My sister totaled her 626 a couple years ago because an 84 year old (yes, you read that right, 84!) man pulled out in front of her and then just stopped. She would have been fine if he had just accellerated at a moderately faster than normal pace, but he just stood on the brakes. He admitted fault, and the insurance company took his license away.

I think that once you get older you should have to take a driving test EVERY year. Not just a written test either, an actual driving test. There are far too many people who are just too old to be competent behind the wheel. As you get older, your ability to react and think quickly diminishes. Not trying to be a dick, it's just a fact. What makes it worse is that here you only have to get your license renewed every 10 years after you're fifty. It's just a vision test too. No writing, no driving, just "Can you see this sign? OK, well here's your license."

I'm with you on that, my grandmothers are scary drivers, and when anyone suggests they stop driving, it's "IM FINE"

WHITE
    98 z28

Quote Originally Posted by J3ff
    I'm with you on that, my grandmothers are scary drivers, and when anyone suggests they stop driving, it's "IM FINE"
    Mine was the same way,it is an elderly persons last stand against losing their indepenence.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i fucked up my qtr. it would be retarded to get a whole new one b/c it's welded to the rest of the body. just have them pound it and bondo it, cuz.

black
    2000 ws6

the only probelm with pounding it out is its not just dented but creased really bad about 8-10 inches. How did yours come out?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i gues i shoulda shown a b4 pic eh? i had a pretty healthy dent, the guy REALLY took care of my car. seriously, it's like a glass surface the way he repainted it.

Future Super Trooper Mr. CarelessAndImprudent's Avatar
    '69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by J3ff
    My grandma is wild too, but now she lets me drive her around most of the time and when she does drive she takes the back roads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information