Thread: Need to vent

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

Unhappy Need to vent

Well I have a feeling that I won't have a job much longer. I work for a company in the newspaper industry. I just found out yesterday that we are losing a significant portion of our delivery area to a competitor. The sections we still have will most likely not support the company very long. Newspapers are a dieing industry, it's no lie, but this was completely unexpected for everyone, including the owner. He figured that if anything he'd have until the end of the year to finish his contracts out, but they're giving him until the end of this month. It sucks bad.
    I don't know what I'm going to do if I lose this job. Guess collect unemployment while I look for another. There doesn't seem to be much work out there right now though.
    My wife is a teachers assistant and just got her teaching license. This was her first year with the school system, and she doesn't receive a paycheck over the summer. She'll be lucky to even have a job next year due to all the budget cuts North Carolina is going through.
    Guess I'll have to wait it out. Anyone know of any "get rich quick" schemes that really work? Saw one today that's uses cash gifting where you can make like $10k in a week. That would be nice.

Anyway, long story short:

Probably going to lose my job.
    Wife's job is not secured.
    Quick money making ideas?

/vent

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

I'm sorry chill that sucks! I hate to hear people going through this kinda thing, I hope our economy starts to bounce back and soon... im not liking where this is all going with people losing their jobs, how are we gonna get back on track if everyone is laid off?

there is no get rich quick thing, u know that we all just gotta do what we can do to survive and maybe even enjoy the ride once in awhile keep your head up, things have gotta get better!

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

I know you don't want to hear this, but sometimes you have to move to where the work is....maybe getting out of that state may help. Now that she's a licensed teacher, look to states that have higher teaching salaries and start applying. And also look for job openings in the same area for yourself. Find a nice compromise, if you can, in job openings for you, and teaching positions for her, in a particular area.

On the other hand, I totally understand situations where you are bound to your current location. My wife's entire family lives here, and she will not leave them, I would never make her, and both of us having full time jobs involves them babysitting our kids quite a bit.

I wish the best for you guys through these tough times.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

That sucks to hear your road turned rough. You are a young guy still, try and keep your head up and everything will work out. Just try and stay positive....might be tough for you, but it will really help out the wife

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

I feel your pain. I had to relocate a few years ago from Monroe, NC to Hickory for a job. I got to stay in the same state but packed up and moved everything. The company I worked for closed our facility, sent much of our work to China and split the rest between a couple sister companies. The company I'm with now is hanging in pretty well considering the business we're in but we are all still keeping our fingers crossed.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sorry to hear. Start looking now as you never know what might be out there, even in this economy.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Is your resume online? If not, post it online.

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

hope a better job comes along quick for you! sorry to hear this! I’m a firm believer in fate, everything happens for a reason and this could turn out to be an opportunity for you.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

stay away from those work at home schemes, last thing you wanna do is get scammed during this point in your life

time to talk to the competitor, see if they have any openings, tell them you can offer them a lot because you worked in the industry

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

That sucks, newspapers are a dieing breed. When the boston globe can't even stay afloat what chance to small papers have? Do you have a degree in journalism or anything? What kind of job did you do there? Skills transfer over to a lot of other things. Keep your head up and you'll find something sooner or later.

I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

so to hear that chill. I hope everything works out for ya.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Damn right newspapers are a dying breed..I can't get those bastards to stop throwing papers in my yard. Guess no ones ordering them so they're just giving them away. Anyway sorry to hear about your luck....you're still young join the military unless you just got out.

Thread Information