Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Need some opinions quickly

Okay, I'm taking the '99 Z28 (exterior is SS hood and spoiler, see avatar photo) to the shop for the LS7 clutch kit, slave, and Tick master cylinder. While there he was going to install new Moog tie rods, check wheel bearings, etc. Now I have an opportunity to do something else and I need some opinions:

Install Eibach ProKit springs which will lower the car 1.5". I've replaced the rear shocks with KYB adjustables, and needed to replace the struts anyway. Looks like I can get the springs at a killer deal, installed along with the struts for about $500 TOTAL.

Aye or nay?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I had Eibach's on my car for 3,000 miles and took them off and put Stranos on my car. With the Eibachs my car seemed to sag a bit in the rear.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

The sag could be corrected with drag bags if the Eibachs are installed.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I still have the stock springs and the original LeCarbons in the front. I installed KYB AGX's in the back and we are discussing KYB adjustables for the front. My '99 has 16" wheels and I'm not really concerned with lowering it, but the struts need replacing anyway, it's within my budget, and the car is in the shop for the clutch/master/slave and some other stuff. 121,000 on the clock. I'm not well-versed in the Eibach Pro Kit but most every concern I hear about them is over the back springs sagging a bit. I realize there are better spring/shock/strut combos out there, but if this is an improvement over the stock setup, I'd give him the go ahead. The car is a daily driver.

Thanks for the info guys.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

I'd just go with Stranos. Know and seen a lot of people take their Eibachs off after not too long and go with something else. BMR springs give a nice stance and decent ride also.

Gray/ White

Or have Eibach warranty the faulty springs...

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I'd just go with Stranos. Know and seen a lot of people take their Eibachs off after not too long and go with something else. BMR springs give a nice stance and decent ride also.
    I should have said that a set of used Eibach pro springs came available and he's offering them. I wasn't looking to do anything with the suspension (just tie rods), but the opportunity came up and a good price.

Even if these springs aren't as good as others it just sounds like the main issue is over the rear. Those springs should be an easy swap later if I don't like them, but the front struts are stock junk and wore out, so I'm just trying to figure out if this is a good time to try the Eibachs while getting the struts swapped out.

Gray/ White

If it was my car I'd pass with all the issues I've seen people have. That's me though

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    If it was my car I'd pass with all the issues I've seen people have. That's me though
    Damn internet gremlins ate my reply!

Thanks for the honest opinion. It happens to mirror my gut-feeling about the offer. I completely trust the guy doing the work and he knows I'm not balls-out with this car, more of a sleeper. He just got the springs and was offering a good deal to me while the car was going to be there for the LS7 clutch kit and stuff. The struts are in need of replacement though and the offer is tempting, even if I end up switching out the rears later.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

It's your car. Try em and see if you like em.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

It's your car. Try em and see if you like em.
    That's my quandary. I'm fairly certain there will be an improvement in handling/looks (just by adding new struts), but I am a bit concerned about clearance for when the LS6 and LT's are installed in the future. The "sag" in the rear end worries me. Don't like that look at all, although maybe a simple fix like a spring rubber would negate it.

Springs $125. New KYB RGX struts for cost plus $75 to install everything (including the tie rods). Total cost for all of this adds about $500 to the project. I can roll the dice on that, but I want to make as informed a decision as I can.

Seems to me that another choice of rear springs would be my biggest concern in the future. Anybody had bad issues with the front end of this set up? My thoughts being that if the rears are the issue of the set, just change those to a better spring later on.
    Last edited by jad628; 04-11-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Op, one more thing to concern yourself when lowering a car. You will need to get an adjustable TA. When a car is lowered the pinon angle on the driveshaft is change enough that it will start binding the u joints on the driveshaft. Our F-bodies need a -2* pinon angle to prevent binding while under hard launches.

Also - Another option for springs....I have the 1" drop Hotchkins springs and when I installed them I GAINED an inch of height. That's right gained My springs were worn out bad. While I did the spring swap I also did OEM shocks all around. My ride height with 17" wheels and 245/45R17's on the front and 275/45R17 in the rear she sits* 26" in the front and 26.5" in the rear. I'll be getting a 295/50R17 or 295/55R17 next time for the rear to get a little more meat on the rears next set of tires I get. I'm sure it will change the height about an inch.

* - while on level ground take a tape measure and go from the ground through the center of the wheel to the top of the fender well. That is how I get my measurement.

If I understand your previous post you are planning a LS6 swap in the future. No issues with weight. They are mostly the exact same engine. Now if you were doing a LQ4/9 then yes those are about 50-65 lbs heavier. (iron blocks).

Unless you are seriously doing drag or autocross driving the weight issue is not to fret about. If you are getting into those then a new K member from UMi or the other brands will offset the weight of the iron blocks.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 04-12-2012 at 07:15 AM.

Gray/ White

An adjustable panhard is a good idea to keep the rear centerd when lowered

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

i have the eibach sportlines on my car. i have no complaints. also have LT 3" ORY and LM2 installed. but my car isnt a daily driver either.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Fellas, I really appreciate the comments. Here's the decision:

First of all, we got it there on a rollback. I was congratulated for having the worst locked-up slave ever...EVER. Man, I'm good!!!

Secondly, I decided to go ahead with the Eibach ProKit. He's adding KYB AGX's to the front (already have them in the back) and we'll see how it goes. From what I've read here, it ain't the optimum setup, but I'm making tweaks on a budget and it has to be better than the stockers with 121K. If the rear springs don't work out, we can do the heater hose mod to gain .5", and if they still don't fit the bill, dump 'em for better ones.

Hope for the best!

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Keep us updated.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Keep us updated.
    As of today the LS7 clutch kit, Tick master cylinder w/ speed bleeder, new slave cylinder, a new rear main seal, ProKit springs, KYB AGX struts, and Moog tie rods/links are all installed. SFCs being welded in, strut tower brace, relocation brackets (I already had a non-adjustable torque arm), adjustable panhard, and LCAs are all being done as the parts come in.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    As of today the LS7 clutch kit, Tick master cylinder w/ speed bleeder, new slave cylinder, a new rear main seal, ProKit springs, KYB AGX struts, and Moog tie rods/links are all installed. SFCs being welded in, strut tower brace, relocation brackets (I already had a non-adjustable torque arm), adjustable panhard, and LCAs are all being done as the parts come in.
    It looks like the remaining parts (FINALLY!!!) are going to be here this week. I've been driving it while we wait for the panhard, LCA's, relocation brackets, and tower brace. At first, the rear sagged more than I wanted, and I had some issues with a few speed bumps I encounter every day. We changed the rear spring seats for some rubber material and did the heater hose mod for the bottom of the springs. End result was a "lift" of about .5 -.75". It sits well, rides better, and handling has improved. Still have two speed bumps in my parking deck that end up touching the exhaust and SFC's, but I'm parking one level down from them now.
    Last edited by jad628; 06-06-2012 at 04:23 AM.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

How are you liking that LS7 clutch?

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS6 View Post
    How are you liking that LS7 clutch?
    Fresh out of the gate the clutch had a very sudden and positive grab. No chatter at all, but I looked like a novice a few times and bogged it down. Now that it has a little over three hundred miles on it, the clutch is feeling wonderful. Very smooth, absolutely no chatter, and positive. I can't speak for longevity, but I certainly recommend it if someone is looking for a replacement.

If ordered from KY Speed (I think they're a sponsor), I give them high marks for honesty. The clutch kit was shipped without the flex bolts, and they made it right with a quick refund to my account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information