navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Need info on motorcycle purchase...

Ok so I know this isn't F-body related in any way but I was hoping somebody could help me out with some information. I've tried googling it online but really haven't found the answer I need.

So here's my ordeal. I want to purchase a motorcycle from a private seller here in Lubbock, TX. The guy currently has no plates on it and since my insurance and driver's license is through New Mexico I need to go get it registered, titled and insured there.

The problem is I don't have a truck or trailer or any means to tow it to New Mexico to do so. I would have to ride it there. How do I get temporary tags or temporary plates to do so from a private seller?

Any info helps guys. Thanks for taking the time to look and help me out.

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Disregard this post ladies and gentleman, did a little more research and found out how. Never mind!!

Cobra, Z28, GN, F250

Does your state offer temp tags?

-Will

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

I know New Mexico does and apparently so does Texas. All I have to do is go to a DMV with my bill of sale and my current insurance and they'll provide temporary tags so that I can transport my vehicle to get registered, insured, etc. where I'm originally from.

Black
    1995 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by SajoR View Post
    I know New Mexico does and apparently so does Texas. All I have to do is go to a DMV with my bill of sale and my current insurance and they'll provide temporary tags so that I can transport my vehicle to get registered, insured, etc. where I'm originally from.
    Also some states (told by a couple LEO's) allow you to drive a vehicle/motorcycle for a couple days without insurance/tags as long as you have a bill of sale. I think for IL it's 5 days.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird Phoenix View Post
    Also some states (told by a couple LEO's) allow you to drive a vehicle/motorcycle for a couple days without insurance/tags as long as you have a bill of sale. I think for IL it's 5 days.
    Correct, most states allow you to drive the car with the bill of sale or signed title for a certain number of days. I think its 30 in WI. Besides cops dont pull over bikers unless you are doing a wheelie while shooting a shotgun in the air.

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Correct, most states allow you to drive the car with the bill of sale or signed title for a certain number of days. I think its 30 in WI. Besides cops dont pull over bikers unless you are doing a wheelie while shooting a shotgun in the air.
    HAHAHAHAHA I really doubt I'll be doing that

Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

details on bike?

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

uhm, whats actually preventing you from just bringing the title of the bike to new mexico? they will redo the title from texas to new mexico, offer you plates, and registration. then you call your insurance company with the vin of the bike and your done. saves alot of time and travel expense.

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

I agree, we need some details on this bike.
    I have this Lime Green ZX9r, and my custom Harley

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    uhm, whats actually preventing you from just bringing the title of the bike to new mexico? they will redo the title from texas to new mexico, offer you plates, and registration. then you call your insurance company with the vin of the bike and your done. saves alot of time and travel expense.
    The problem isn't taking the title to new mexico and just doing all the stuff there. The problem I was having was to actually GETTING the bike to New Mexico without plates since I don't have a truck or trailer to transport it and therefore, would need to drive it there. And since it doesn't currently have plates, I will need to get temp plates, but I already got it figured out. The main reason I need the bike to actually be there is because I still need to get my motorcycle license and am going to knock everything out in one day, so I won't have to make the trip to New Mexico twice for my bike.

And for everybody else, the bike is a 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636cc since it's my very first actual purchased bike, lime green in color and has only 4700 miles. Bought it for $3700. I have ridden dirt bikes and street bikes all my life but never actually owned one. It was about time I bought one =) here's a pic on what it looks like, not the actual one, but almost exactly the same. Not going to lie, wasn't a big fan of the lime green color, but I couldn't pass up a deal like this on such a low mileage bike.

Last edited by SajoR; 01-23-2011 at 12:42 PM.

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

And by the way LimeNine, very nice bikes =)

Looks like I'm part of the ZX family now haha

Black
    1995 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by SajoR View Post
    The problem isn't taking the title to new mexico and just doing all the stuff there. The problem I was having was to actually GETTING the bike to New Mexico without plates since I don't have a truck or trailer to transport it and therefore, would need to drive it there. And since it doesn't currently have plates, I will need to get temp plates, but I already got it figured out. The main reason I need the bike to actually be there is because I still need to get my motorcycle license and am going to knock everything out in one day, so I won't have to make the trip to New Mexico twice for my bike.

And for everybody else, the bike is a 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636cc since it's my very first actual purchased bike, lime green in color and has only 4700 miles. Bought it for $3700. I have ridden dirt bikes and street bikes all my life but never actually owned one. It was about time I bought one =) here's a pic on what it looks like, not the actual one, but almost exactly the same. Not going to lie, wasn't a big fan of the lime green color, but I couldn't pass up a deal like this on such a low mileage bike.

Click for full size
    Wow what a coincidence as I just bought a new bike on New Year's Eve, and guess what it is? lol A 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636 also! I wasn't a fan of the lime green, and even contemplated repainting it to match my old gear, but I decided to buy new gear as the green grows on you. Nice deal!

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

I like green - my 9

paid way too much for these - $780 for one and $380 for other

I like green alot

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

Tennessee

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

Ohio River - going to Bluegrass Raceway, private track

a buddy wiped out on his 2007 CBR1000rr, notice the nose is GONE,
    We was riding some twisties close to Brookville Lake, Indiana

the small gravel that took him out

an hour and half before the crash the bikes was looking good

my lil Jazz posing in front of the 9

I bought this 2000 bike new in 2001 as "left over" - I've got 43k miles on it now

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

I've put EIGHT sets of these on the bike - set #9 in setting in my "tire barn"

different buddy ZX10r

my 2005 Harley "Phatail" - I converted it with a "Performance Machine Phatail kit" 240mm rear, sent the paint work to Tampa Florida, Candy Tangerine ghosted tribal flames with Bright orange outlines, "PM" polished aluminum wheels, rotors, calipers, Vance and Hines pipes, corbin seat

I machined these custom rear stand lift fingers, but I don't even use that lift anymore

I machined the maltese cross on my "Col. Clink" helmet

Last edited by LimeNine; 01-24-2011 at 12:27 PM.

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

Chilahowee Dam, Tenn

Deals' Gap, Tenn - The Dragon - with 9 of my friends from Ohio and Michigan

at the end of "Blood Mountain" Georgia

Thread Information