99ta92rt

Need advice/opinions on a possible trade...

A good number of Pontiac dealers in the Chicagoland area (suburbs and city) have approx. 10 BRAND NEW 2005 Pontiac GTO's between them. I finally went and test drove 1 at the dealer closest to my house (they actually have 2 yellow A4's) to check it out as I've never driven a GTO before. I took it home for a good hour and long story short, I liked the car a lot. They definitely look better in person and with the 18's (old 17's kind of ugly). Very, very fast. Not "tragically" faster than my T/A, but definitely quicker.

Anyway, without even negotiating yet (I went to the dealer around 8:30 last night) they offered me the car for $27,500 to start. Without a proper appraisal they said 10-11k for the T/A. Here are some short specs:

Yellow exterior
    Black Leather interior
    A4
    3.46 gear
    18 inch wheels
    Blaupunkt CD
    Window sticker MSRP is $34,780

I love all of my cars. My fiance loves the T/A, is so-so on the Stealth (mainly cuz it's a 5-speed, which she doesn't like). What would you guys do? Trade in both? Trade one or the other?

Love to hear what ya guys think. Thanks!

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Try to keep the T/A and trade the Steath but if you have to trade in both that is a hell of a price they qouted you for one hell of a car.

Take some pic's when you go back to the dealer and post some up for us.

99ta92rt
    Will do. I think they can come down more, personally. It's not good for dealers to have 1-year-old brand new cars on their lots'. To make it even worse for them, there are other dealers with the same problem, so there is competition.

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

Lori, is it an LS2 ?, cause if it's not, it's slower than your TA by a 1/2 second. And I think you can do better on the price. GOOD LUCK

"now,you pissed us off!!" Trouble maker's Avatar
    There is a Pontiac dealer in Crown Point In,by me,that has the new GTO.They will give you a better deal!! It is right off rt30 and 55(which goes right through the downtown area)Please contact me if you are willing to save alot of money!!!

99ta92rt
    You guys don't 25-27k is a good price on a brand bew 2005 GTO?

And sell those cars outright!The dealer will absorb his loss on paper for the new purchase,through the gain in profit on the price that he will give you for your trade!!

Quote Originally Posted by 99ta92rt
    If you saw the actual dealer invoice on new cars,you would hit the floor!!

Will do. I think they can come down more, personally. It's not good for dealers to have 1-year-old brand new cars on their lots'. To make it even worse for them, there are other dealers with the same problem, so there is competition.
    You got it!!They have alot more room to deal on these cars left over,because they are actually costing the dealers money,from the manufacturer!they don't own these cars!!

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

I think you can get them down another 2-3 grand, it's a buyers market, especially for the GTO

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

lol, same avatar but not Lori...

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels
    lol, same avatar but not Lori...
    OH SHIT, sorry about that

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

get one dealer to write you a quote, then shop the hell out of it...You would be surprised ...

black
    00 camaross&02 trans am

I would work on it some more a new car that is leftover you can get them to come down quit easily because they want to clear it for new inventory. Heres is a true bit. My old man needed a new truck because his was shot. He likes the dodge ram went to the dealership and saw a nice 4 door hemi ram with a 6 foot bed and 4x4 there and wanted to get it but the sticker was reading 32k he got them down too 27k. I told him I wanted to check it out and when i got there I saw it was an 04 1500 built on may of 04 and the current day was march of 05. I looked at the dealer and said are you joking with the price. I managed to talk him down to 21k out the door with an extended warranty and a bed rug. They had a 04 2500 with a 8ft bed and 4x4 say build month they wanted 37k I managed to talk them down to 23k out the door. I told my old man that he had a choice and he chose the 1500 over the 2500. The kicker was that he traded in a 97 1500 ram with a 195k miles on it and got 500 for it. If they only knew what was wrong with that truck.

All in all if you know how to bullshit a bullshiter then you can get them down atleast another 3 to 5k easily. Also don't let them try to screw you on the trade in because they will rework the figures to give you 6k on a car they say they will give you 11k on. check the numbers and don't let them blow any smoke up your ass. I have been buying cars since I was 16 and I am 25 now. I have bought 1 used and 4 brand new and I have helped my sister 1 used and 1 new. For my parents 4 new 1 used in the last 9 years. So take a piece of advice the best deal you get is what you settle for so don't settle for any less because they will always come down some more. If they don't look somewhere else.

Also good choice the ls2 are a strong engine but i just can't get one because pontiac ruined a perfectly good muscle car from the 70's by turning it into a freaking PIECE OF SHIT CAVALIER.
    Last edited by camaross0002; 05-05-2006 at 10:48 PM.

Black
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by camaross0002

All in all if you know how to bullshit a bullshiter then you can get them down atleast another 3 to 5k easily. Also don't let them try to screw you on the trade in because they will rework the figures to give you 6k on a car they say they will give you 11k on. check the numbers and don't let them blow any smoke up your ass.
    How about working up a deal on a new car and getting that locked in before talking about the trade in? That work?

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

not really do that and they just low ball you on your trade. Best thing to do is get a out the door with your whole deal, get somebody to write it on the back of their card and leave and go to other dealerships.....
    If you want your best deal , just wait ....

Black
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth
    not really do that and they just low ball you on your trade. Best thing to do is get a out the door with your whole deal, get somebody to write it on the back of their card and leave and go to other dealerships.....
    If you want your best deal , just wait ....
    I have no plans to get an new car until 2010.

If you think about it, cars aren't a good investment, they always decline in value once you drive off the dealer lot.

Right now I'm saving up for a downpayment on a house.

The silver concept camaro needs to be built and include a t-top or a removable roof!

YOW Pookie's gone postal! Motrv8d Steve's Avatar

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

if i was in the mkt for a GTO I'd at least try to get the 06 with the the updated hood. Also, it's one year newer. Sure you'll have to pay a little more for the new one but at least it won't be one year old already in the mktplace like an 05. Just something else to consider.

The best piece of advice I have to someone buying a new car is (I've bought five in my life), "Never Be In A Hurry." The longer you string them out, the better the deal you can get, guaranteed. And don't go for any of that interior protection shit or any other scheme they wanna throw in and charge you for either.

I never have cared how those new Goats look. I've tried to like them an' all but they just haven't grown on me. They look too much like a co. car. Sorry, but jmho. good luck on your purchase if that's what you wanna get. I say keep the TA.

black
    98 WS6

$27K is a very good price for a 05 GTO
    it will be as fast as your current car but much better built with better quality
    GET IT!

black
    98 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Motrv8d Steve
    if i was in the mkt for a GTO I'd at least try to get the 06 with the the updated hood. Also, it's one year newer. Sure you'll have to pay a little more for the new one but at least it won't be one year old already in the mktplace like an 05. Just something else to consider.

The best piece of advice I have to someone buying a new car is (I've bought five in my life), "Never Be In A Hurry." The longer you string them out, the better the deal you can get, guaranteed. And don't go for any of that interior protection shit or any other scheme they wanna throw in and charge you for either.

I never have cared how those new Goats look. I've tried to like them an' all but they just haven't grown on me. They look too much like a co. car. Sorry, but jmho. good luck on your purchase if that's what you wanna get. I say keep the TA.
    I can see how you never cared for a gto since there was NO change with the hoods between 05 and 06
    the only changes are:
    different tail lights
    lock/unlock button
    express way in to the back (you don't have to hold the button, but it still goes as slow as on 05)
    all you gto haters gotta go on a 1200 mile, 2 day roadtrip to really appreciate the car

Thread Information