Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

My Worst Day Ever

nobody has died...but it sure feels like it.

ya ever have one of those days where everything that can just seems to go wrong? i'm sure you have.

i knew it was going to be a bad day when i pulled into my parking stall at school and i let my foot off the clutch while the car was in gear...lurch forward kill car and foreshadow my day.

my dell laptop is 3 years old. it got a bad virus on it once before and i got it fixed. today at school i just finish typing a paper and the blasted thing freezes up. nothing is working. i wasn't able to boot the thing up in less than 20 minutes. so i take the thing to the IT department at school and they start taking a look at it. let me point out that this computer holds all of my papers, essays, assignments, documents, etc from my previous 2 years of college. it also contains all of my pictures from my last family vacation in 2007 and it contains all the documents that i use for the apartment that i own.

i get the phone call tonite that my hard drive is junk. every time that he boots it up it gets worse. he's not sure what else he can do with it. so i tell him to not do anything with it (this is as i'm retyping my paper due tomorrow from memory). hopefully i can take it somewhere where they will be able to salvage the files that are important to me. the files that i stated before are important because of my academic career, one of my side jobs...and lastly and most importantly because of my father. this was the last family vacation that i will get to take with the man. he's not doing well unfortunately and i'm trying to come to terms with the fact that he won't be here forever and the pictures are one of those things that i have to look at that remind me of a time when he was healthier and we were all together.

worst part of all is that i can't blame dell (although i'd love to as this computer is a piece of god damn shit) and i can't blame the school's network (the point when the computer crashed i was working off of the schools network). the only one to blame is myself because like a raging fucking jackass i didn't back up any of my files.

so here i sit...depressed...with one essay to my name...no pictures of my last vacation...on a black leather couch of self loathing. the chocolate covered peanutes just aren't cutting the mustard here tonite.

so...that's my story for the day. i'm holding out hope that some of the documents can be salvaged...but that's just one more thing i'm trying to get my head around...that they're all going to be gone here very very very shortly.

damnit.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

I have a ritual called ‘terminator’. I crouch in the shower in the “naked terminator” pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I'm sure you can have your info saved to backup. I had my pictures saved when my laptop's motherboard fried itself. The computer was repaired under warranty but I paid $100 to have my pics saved. Don't fret it. Like the saying goes, "expect the worst/hope for the best"...at least I think that's how the saying goes.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Just read the thread.

Get your harddrive, give it to the FBI, tell them theres CP and terrorist plans on it.

They'll get your info back real quick.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    nobody has died...but it sure feels like it.

ya ever have one of those days where everything that can just seems to go wrong? i'm sure you have.

i knew it was going to be a bad day when i pulled into my parking stall at school and i let my foot off the clutch while the car was in gear...lurch forward kill car and foreshadow my day.

my dell laptop is 3 years old. it got a bad virus on it once before and i got it fixed. today at school i just finish typing a paper and the blasted thing freezes up. nothing is working. i wasn't able to boot the thing up in less than 20 minutes. so i take the thing to the IT department at school and they start taking a look at it. let me point out that this computer holds all of my papers, essays, assignments, documents, etc from my previous 2 years of college. it also contains all of my pictures from my last family vacation in 2007 and it contains all the documents that i use for the apartment that i own.

i get the phone call tonite that my hard drive is junk. every time that he boots it up it gets worse. he's not sure what else he can do with it. so i tell him to not do anything with it (this is as i'm retyping my paper due tomorrow from memory). hopefully i can take it somewhere where they will be able to salvage the files that are important to me. the files that i stated before are important because of my academic career, one of my side jobs...and lastly and most importantly because of my father. this was the last family vacation that i will get to take with the man. he's not doing well unfortunately and i'm trying to come to terms with the fact that he won't be here forever and the pictures are one of those things that i have to look at that remind me of a time when he was healthier and we were all together.

worst part of all is that i can't blame dell (although i'd love to as this computer is a piece of god damn shit) and i can't blame the school's network (the point when the computer crashed i was working off of the schools network). the only one to blame is myself because like a raging fucking jackass i didn't back up any of my files.

so here i sit...depressed...with one essay to my name...no pictures of my last vacation...on a black leather couch of self loathing. the chocolate covered peanutes just aren't cutting the mustard here tonite.

so...that's my story for the day. i'm holding out hope that some of the documents can be salvaged...but that's just one more thing i'm trying to get my head around...that they're all going to be gone here very very very shortly.

damnit.
    This same thing just happened to me. Exactly. It happened a few months ago. I was able to do a system restore and retrieve mostly all of my files. When you do a restore, it gives you the option of making a backup copy of your hard drive. It took my computer about 30 minutes to boot up, but I finally got it to do a restore.

Good luck man. It sucks. Since the restore, mine has been fine though.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

here's to hopin i do suppose. i'll probably take it into a place in town...i don't trust myself to do it. although the FBI thing is more than likely the best bet.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

The IT dept at school is probably not the best place. Post up in the computer forum. There are some smart guys on there that can probably help you.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    I have a ritual called ‘terminator’. I crouch in the shower in the “naked terminator” pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.
    I've did that before
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Thread Information