Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Smile My weed whacker just died!

It was a craftsman and lasted 4 years. Wont start and cord gets stuck. I was loooking at lowes and want a staright shaft 4 stroke. It was $299 while the troybuilt one was like $239. Any opinions?

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

yeah. dont get a homelite lol the engines seize for absolutely no reason at all

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have a cheap Jonsered that I run the crap out of. Hasn't failed me for 6 years now. (Sound of knocking on wood)

Pewter
    2002 Z28 (sold)

Mine crapped out as well. It a Craftsman weedwhacker as well. I have had it for 9 years. never did a dam thing to maintain it and every year, strated right up. This year, I take it out of the shed, prime it, twist the spark plug boot as I always do, pull the rip cord and started right up. Ran out of gas, put more in, started up again. Let it sit for 30 minutes or so and now nothing! I believe it is the F'n Ethanol they put into the gas now. My leaf Blower is not running right as well and that was just bought last fall!

1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

I've had a Bolens for 5 years. Haven't changed or replaced anything and it still runs like a champ. Paid $75 new.

black
    95 conv, harttop svt

me and my brothers have had our own mowing business for 12+yrs now. I have had the same edger and weeder for the past ten years. echo edger, and stihl weedeater. 100's of yards a summer for the past ten years. you cannot go wrong with either. both of them have thousands of yards under them, and they show no signs of giving up.

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

my Torro weed whacker died too. I just bought a same replacement

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

craftsman riding mowers, push mowers, weed eaters, etc have always disappointed me . . go stihl:
    http://www.stihldealer.net/locator/

Silver
    2005 Toyota Corolla (DD)

I got a Homelite weed whacker from my grandpa (he bought it to use, but it sat in the box, then he moved into an assisted care home)

Had it now for 4 years without any problems. No maintenance, just gas+oil mix and go!

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

got a 2 stroke echo for 5 years no problems. My bud had one for 10. Lightning struck his shed actually jumped to the weed eater (he thinks) cause the plug was blown up in the machine and the plastic split around it. He duct taped the plastic , changed the plug and the M-fer still ran for 2 more years untill he sold it to a friend of ours who is still using it. Id say quality built...

white
    1999 Trans AM 30th anniv.

Thumbs down

Got a Sthil and it sucks since day 1 ---i,ll give you a deal on it

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming T/A View Post
    Got a Sthil and it sucks since day 1 ---i,ll give you a deal on it
    wow really? whats it doin?

I've never heard anyone have complaints about their stihl trimmer or chainsaw. . . hell i bought mine used and runs 10 times better than the brand new weedeater brand one i got and returned.

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

I bought a John Deere 8 years ago and it runs like a champ. Starts on the second pull every time.

Nothing runs like a Deere MF'ers.....or smells like a john!!

Quote Originally Posted by ccusum View Post
    Mine crapped out as well. It a Craftsman weedwhacker as well. I have had it for 9 years. never did a dam thing to maintain it and every year, strated right up. This year, I take it out of the shed, prime it, twist the spark plug boot as I always do, pull the rip cord and started right up. Ran out of gas, put more in, started up again. Let it sit for 30 minutes or so and now nothing! I believe it is the F'n Ethanol they put into the gas now. My leaf Blower is not running right as well and that was just bought last fall!
    i dont think you are supposed to put ethanol fuel in your lawn mowers, weed wackers etc.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Power View Post
    I got a Homelite weed whacker from my grandpa (he bought it to use, but it sat in the box, then he moved into an assisted care home)

Had it now for 4 years without any problems. No maintenance, just gas+oil mix and go!
    So YOU are the one that bought a homelite that didnt break? I heard about you lol

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by bmyers View Post
    i dont think you are supposed to put ethanol fuel in your lawn mowers, weed wackers etc.
    in north jersey is unavoidable, every station i been to has 10 percent whether ya like it or not. A briggs stratton/tecumseh 4 stroke lawnmower engine will run on anything flammable lol

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    in north jersey is unavoidable, every station i been to has 10 percent whether ya like it or not. A briggs stratton/tecumseh 4 stroke lawnmower engine will run on anything flammable lol
    wow. is that true about not supposed to use that type of fuel though? Always been told that not sure if theres any truth to it or not.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

those small engines are hard to kill....4 stroke especially. The 2 stroke you just have to stay on top of maintenance and keep a good plug and good gas in there. A briggs lawnmower will almost run on straight water and you can try to tear those things up and fail.
    I have a 4-5 year old troy built weedeater, a 10 year old poulan chain saw, a 10 year old mtd riding mower, a 11hp briggs tiller that was made in the early 60's, and a god knows how old briggs push mower. All run as good as the day I brought them home. It's all in the maintenance on those smaller engines. The tiller needs a rebuild as the rings are shot in it but it fires right up and runs every year when I put the garden in.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    yeah. dont get a homelite lol the engines seize for absolutely no reason at all
    My dad's homelite lasted 13 years and JUST crapped out this summer. After sitting during winter it woulnd't start. Still out in the shop now, I want to figure a way to run a belt to it off the die grinder see if I can push start it if you will. I don't know though, I sprayed a lot of ether in it and it didn't even pop.

9.62/140

Quote Originally Posted by redls1 View Post
    It was a craftsman and lasted 4 years. Wont start and cord gets stuck. I was loooking at lowes and want a staright shaft 4 stroke. It was $299 while the troybuilt one was like $239. Any opinions?
    You def want straight shaft, with a commercial, non self feed head. The head on mine has 2 holes with kind of ratchet keepers, stick a 7in piece of heavy gauge line in each side. When they wear down use needle nose pliers to pull the remnents out thru the center then stick a fresh pair in, keep a few extra 7in line pcs + a pair of pliers in your back pocket & good to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information