Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

MrMastercraft.....

Since you're not gonna get off your lazy ass and come up here and help me get this boat running I'm gonna fix it myself.

Motor: '95 50HP Evinrude model E50TLEOD

What would cause this thing to be a bitch to start cold. I mean it's a real pain to even get it to try to fire cold but after it even tries to fire once it'll eventually start running. After you get it warmed up it will fire up and run like it's brand new everytime for the rest of the day. After that first time you only have to bump the key and it starts right up. I'm wondering if it's weak spark or something along those lines??

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Since you're not gonna get off your lazy ass and come up here and help me get this boat running I'm gonna fix it myself.

Motor: '95 50HP Evinrude model E50TLEOD

What would cause this thing to be a bitch to start cold. I mean it's a real pain to even get it to try to fire cold but after it even tries to fire once it'll eventually start running. After you get it warmed up it will fire up and run like it's brand new everytime for the rest of the day. After that first time you only have to bump the key and it starts right up. I'm wondering if it's weak spark or something along those lines??

Trying to get him to fix it is.... Like asking him to show up for a race. Not Gonna Happen....

black
    02 ss camaro

Sounds like the choke on the carb is not working.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Do you have a primer installed in the fuel feed line?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Check the primer nipple on the carb to make sure it's not clogged. Then work backwards, check the tubing for clogs. Make sure the solinoid is working too. It sounds like you're not getting a prime on startup. When you hit the ignition button, it should send fuel through the primer tube.
    Last edited by Knight; 03-10-2011 at 03:15 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

It's getting fuel because it soaks the plugs. I can also hear the choke clicking when I push in on the key. The other day I had a buddy over and he held his hand over the carbs to choke them that way and still nothing. I really feel like this is spark related.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Could be a weak stator causing poor spark at startup. Cheap to replace.

dont know alot about boat motors but have you checked the compression ? ive owned one little 35hp jon boat and until i figured out the right pattern of choking and whatnot it was a bitch to crank cold too. once i knew exactly how much throttle to give and where to set choke lever i had no problems at all afterwards

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

if the choke is sticking, it will flood the cylinders...maybe its clicking cause its stuck?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by whitelightnin99 View Post
    dont know alot about boat motors but have you checked the compression ? ive owned one little 35hp jon boat and until i figured out the right pattern of choking and whatnot it was a bitch to crank cold too. once i knew exactly how much throttle to give and where to set choke lever i had no problems at all afterwards
    I would think if the compression was low I'd notice it when it started running or on every start....once you get it to fire up it starts/runs like its brand new the rest of the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    if the choke is sticking, it will flood the cylinders...maybe its clicking cause its stuck?
    wouldn't the choke stick everytime though? It also cranks and cranks without even acting like it's going to start....just turns over but never even tries to fire.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

So it has an electric choke im thinking since you said you can hear it click? Take off the plastic shrounding to the carbs and make sure the choke blades are actually closing all the way. My 115 yamaha had that problem for the longest time and it turned out the blades were fully closing with the electric choke. Does it have a manual choke also? If so try using that and see if it works.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Could be just like my Harley. It's got it's own procedure to start cold. Once it's warm, it's no problem. But cold, you have to set the enrichment lever just right, pump the throttle twice, and then kick it. As stated, if you rule out the gas and choke, and determine you've got a strong spark, it may just be the nature of the motor.

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I would think if the compression was low I'd notice it when it started running or on every start....once you get it to fire up it starts/runs like its brand new the rest of the day.

wouldn't the choke stick everytime though? It also cranks and cranks without even acting like it's going to start....just turns over but never even tries to fire.
    maybe the choke is sticking open...thats why its hard to start but once its warmed up it runs great......

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Could be just like my Harley. It's got it's own procedure to start cold. Once it's warm, it's no problem. But cold, you have to set the enrichment lever just right, pump the throttle twice, and then kick it. As stated, if you rule out the gas and choke, and determine you've got a strong spark, it may just be the nature of the motor.
    exactly what i was saying in my last post, especially boat motors they seem to have some sort of pattern on first startup. i had to call the previous owner to come show me how to get it started up, i kept flooding it out. Once i got it started it fired up on first bump of the key all day long

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well....it's raining it's ass off here today but if I can get a break in the rain I'll go out and tear into it again....for the 1000th time.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

stopped raining for a few minutes so I went out and hooked the battery up and tried something. Had my daughter crank on it and I hooked a timing light up.....no spark. I know the starter is spinning it fast enough.....~1000 rpm on the tach.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well.....no thanks to MrMastercraft I got the boat fixed today I believe. Cranked up the first try and cranked without choking it or anything. Just bumpd it over and it fired right up. Pretty sure that fixed it. Powerpack was bad.

pewter
    99 trans am

mr. mastercraft came thru again!!! not!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    mr. mastercraft came thru again!!! not!!
    all hail mrmastercraft for his crazy mad boat fixing skills.

Still too cold to fish here right now so tomorrow I'm going to get a case of beer and sit in the boat in the backyard and drink beer all day. It'll be just like fishing without the water.

pewter
    99 trans am

i wish i had a boat.....its nice out and the temp is climbing....i refuse to fish off the bank.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information