black
    98 WS6

Motorcyclist offers apology and restitution to members of DUMB

An apology is in order, so, please, forgive me. It was not until this morning on my ride to work that I fully understood I was in error.

Yes, I've noticed that there are many very busy and important people on the roads. You all are hard to miss with the cell phones, laptops, breakfast bars, coffee, cigarettes and all, but until now, I didn't realize I was causing so much trouble for you busy, multitasking drivers.
    I figured it out this morning, thanks to the nice lady working on the laptop who needed the lane I was in.
    First, ma'am, let me say that when I honked at you from the shoulder, I didn't mean to startle you. My intent was just to give you a little beep to let you know the lane was all yours. But I was braking so hard, I couldn't lift my thumb off the horn button. My bad.
    I surely didn't mean to cause you to nearly hit the guy talking on the cell phone. You know, he was smoking and talking as he moved his SUV right into the space you had just left.
    Anyway, the good news is, that's when I realized all of you multitasking drivers must be texting each other about intended lane changes and running traffic lights and stop signs and such. I'm sorry - I'm still using old-fashioned blinkers. I didn't realize you needed some time to e-notify that guy that you needed the lane back. I really messed it up for both of you!
    I can only say that the guard rail was a little distracting, and I was only thinking about myself. I'll try harder next time.
    Like I said, I didn't know that was how you multitasking drivers were communicating. It must have been in an e-mail, but my laptop fell off my tank and I haven't replaced it.
    However, I have a solution.
    I know many of you are so busy and important that you have no choice - you have to eat, work, talk, read and do lots of other really important things as you drive.
    Those of us who use the road only for traveling would be happy to stay out of your way; we just need to know you're coming.
    A little visual clue would help - I was thinking of a bumper sticker. That way, everyone could identify you as Drivers Utilizing Multiple Behaviors.
    Of course, that's a little long, so we'd cut it down to an acronym - DUMB.
    If you'd place stickers on the front, back and maybe the sides of your car, the rest of us would know not to interfere with you on the road.
    I think it's such a good idea, I'll pay for the bumper stickers and even put them on for you. Deal?
    Again, I'm sorry I got in your way. I'll try harder to see you coming from now on.
    I promise!

http://www.amarillo.com/stories/1011..._8649744.shtml

I feel like him every day.

I think it is a good idea, I could think of alot of people in my town alone that need to get these stickers.

pie
    free

Black
    '99 SS

I rev on motorcycles.

NBM
    99 TA

great story!!
    i cant believe the shit ppl do while driving.
    once i saw a woman driving on a 50mph road, looking into her rearview mirror while she flossed her teeth using both hands.. gimme a fuckin break bitch.

Also see ppl eating soup from a bowl with a spoon using both hands, some with a cell phone stuck between their ear and shoulder.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

priceless and sooo true... nearly got rammed by a chick in an audi on friday, totally absorbed by her cell phone call.

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

My favorite is when the Dumbass with the cell phone in the left hand changes lane without looking. Yes, there is a Motorcycle there!!!

And the little "Sorry" wave gets my 1 finger wave back!

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

my favorite is when you see some dumbass on a bike riding on the shoulder or in between cars to get around stopped traffic, or doing 70 mph wheelies down the interstate, or going past my house on a 2 lane road doing 100+ mph. Both camps have their shares of dumbass'. I just get tired of hearing the bike guys cry about people in cars when on any given weekend during the summer I can find at least 2-3 people doing 1 of those 3 things.

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    my favorite is when you see some dumbass on a bike riding on the shoulder or in between cars to get around stopped traffic, or doing 70 mph wheelies down the interstate, or going past my house on a 2 lane road doing 100+ mph. Both camps have their shares of dumbass'. I just get tired of hearing the bike guys cry about people in cars when on any given weekend during the summer I can find at least 2-3 people doing 1 of those 3 things.
    And then they wonder why they DIE

black
    98 WS6

it's called lane splitting amd it is legal in California FYI
    I do it every day

wheelies and speeding are done by dumbasses who endanger their lives, the "apology" is about people endangering others' lifes

98 Formula
    06 duramax

so what you're saying is while you find that some or most people that drive cars aren't paying attention to what's going on around them you're still willing to drive in between them??

Black
    '99 SS

I honestly wouldn't ride a vehicle that is capable of those speeds without being fully surrounded by metal (like my camaro!). I figure people think motorcycles are a thrill ride... well i have a different opinion...

Also, I know of females that are nervous when driving on the highway. There is NO WAY i would "lane split" knowing there are "nervous drivers" out there...

black
    98 WS6

so what you're saying is while you find that some or most people that drive cars aren't paying attention to what's going on around them you're still willing to drive in between them??
    yes, just like thousands of other California bikers

black
    98 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Tonik View Post
    I honestly wouldn't ride a vehicle that is capable of those speeds without being fully surrounded by metal (like my camaro!). I figure people think motorcycles are a thrill ride... well i have a different opinion...

Also, I know of females that are nervous when driving on the highway. There is NO WAY i would "lane split" knowing there are "nervous drivers" out there...
    just because a vehicle is capable of doing something doesn't mean you have to do it

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

Cages far out number the Bikers. And the percentage of dumbass cage drivers far out numbers dumbass bikers.

Cry about a dumbass cage that nearly smacked me into the guard rail when I am in MY own lane, and not splitting traffic. No, it is not cry, it is BITCHING.

You should try riding a bike sometime, it is a blast. great feeling. Better then a convertible. I ride a cruiser, (Road King), so Speed is not the objective for me.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Agreed joerockhead. I ride a Springer Softail, speed is definitely not an issue for me either. I ride for the enjoyment of that, the ride. If I want fast I'll take my car. The bike is purely enjoyment.

Anyone know the consequence for smashing a mirror off a car that is in the process of cutting you off? I've been tempted to do that so many times.

There is a difference between a motorcyclist and a squid, and the people that are out for the love of being on there bikes do not want to have anything to with squids. I used to think that I would never own a sport bike, because I did not see why anyone would want to go fast with nothing between them and the road. I love the rush of being able to go fast if I want, but most of the time I am getting past by others who think that the speed limit is way to slow. Even though I ride a "crotch rocket", I still love to just cruise and enjoy the ride.

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    ........Anyone know the consequence for smashing a mirror off a car that is in the process of cutting you off? I've been tempted to do that so many times.

Yes, or Kick the damn door in!

Quote Originally Posted by jperkins812 View Post
    There is a difference between a motorcyclist and a squid
    Haha, I am a squid too! Well I was until now, I am a retired Squid!

Quote Originally Posted by jperkins812 View Post
    ...... I love the rush of being able to go fast if I want, but most of the time I am getting past by others who think that the speed limit is way to slow. Even though I ride a "crotch rocket", I still love to just cruise and enjoy the ride.

I understand, it is fun to accelerate quick. Mine is quick enough for me, and yet I know some one to go faster. That is fine.

I just like the cruise around 75 or 80 on the open highway, or a nice curvy mountain road.

The name says it all !!!FAST!!!'s Avatar

Black
    2000 WS6, 2006 G35

Thread Information