Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

white
    2000 Z28

mma vs boxing beyond opinions.

ufc 100 is the biggest event in mma. 1.6 mil buyers ppv. brock got 400k for the fight. also gsp was on the card making 400k aswell.

mayweather/de la hoya is boxings biggest event. 2.4 mil buyers ppv. oscar got 52 mil. floyd got 24 mil.

that stuff is in the past

the most current high end events are ufc 121 and margarito vs pacquiao.

ufc 121. lesnar make 930k for his win. 1.05 mil buyers ppv.

marg/pacman. 15 mil for each of them. 1.3 mil buyers ppv.

now like ive stated several time in another thread, i do like mma but because i like to watch mma more frequent than boxing has no bearing on facts.

discussion, opinions, and/or more facts please.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Boxing simply has a much longer, more established tradition in our country and especially around the world, and thus has a larger established viewer base. I think you'll see MMA continue to grow and gain fans/viewers, and of course as that happens the money these headliners make will continue to rise.

Personally, I think MMA is the future and boxing will see a steady decline. But as a society we're not much progressed from the Romans, we still love to see our barbarians in the pit fighting, whether it be on a football field or in a boxing ring, so who knows what will happen with these sports...

NBM
    1999 Trans Am WS6

You don't really think thats all these guys make do you? There are also fight bonuses, sponsership money & other kick backs.

Money aside, MMA is eating up boxing. Boxing fans hate it but no matter what they wanna argue it is a more dynamic sport. There are all different variety of arguements from both sides but no matter the differences no one can argue the above fact, its simply more dynamic.

I grew up loving boxing. But as I got older it got stale & kinda boring to me. Then MMA hit & I was very excited about this. I'm sure myself like others have always had a curiosity about Martial Arts in general thankx to old movies & Bruce Lee, LOL. But aside from tournament style matches it hadnt really gone big in America yet until recent years.

Who really cares if the fighters are making 1.5mil or 400k for a fight. That just tells me the MMA fighters are there to fight, not put on a long drawn out show tryin not to get injured & collect a huge paycheck. Thats the type of fighters I want to watch. Boxing has lost alot of its appeal to me b/c now when I watch I find myself getting bored.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

I can really careless for boxing or mma as i dont watch either.
    One fact that cant be overlooked is that boxing draws more ppv and always fills th house no matter where the big fight is held.
    I unlike most see mma as a fad.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

NBM
    1999 Trans Am WS6

MMA just seems like a fad to our older generation right now b/c its so new to them. And there are a TON of poser Affliction shirt wearing idiots that give the wrong image of the sport to others just now seeing it for the first time.

I'd say MMA is here to stay now thats its finally gone fully mainstream. Its pretty much a global sport now, gaining new venues all the time.

Red
    06 GTO

boxing has a long following, but the fact of the matter is this, boxing has 1 MAYBE good fight every year that has any decent numbers of buys, mma (remember its not just the ufc that does mma) has multiple cards every month, and on the average mma draws more people.

i love boxing, but the simple fact is, 1 fight a year that does really good, doesnt compare to the multiple great fights every month.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ice97ta View Post
    boxing has a long following, but the fact of the matter is this, boxing has 1 MAYBE good fight every year that has any decent numbers of buys, mma (remember its not just the ufc that does mma) has multiple cards every month, and on the average mma draws more people.

i love boxing, but the simple fact is, 1 fight a year that does really good, doesnt compare to the multiple great fights every month.
    there are multiple great fights a month in both sports if you happen to watch both. boxing is all in the wbo now as far as professionals go. mma needs to do whats right for the sport and merge not whats right for dana's pockets. otherwise their few good matches will remain few. but i picked ufc as the example because ufc 100 is by far the biggest mma event held.

Red
    06 GTO

actually, ufc 100 wasnt the biggest event the ufc had, and yes boxing has shows all the time, but you cant even come close to comparing them to what mma shows have every month.

fact of the matter is, boxing has been on a steady decline for a long time, not their fault, just lack of exciting fighters, and don king has really tainted boxing forever. i dont see boxing going anywhere, it will always be around. But with mma still climbing in popularity very fast every year, boxing will still take a back seat to it. as i said before, boxing still has a following, and they will stay following it. but it wont be anywhere near what the mma following will be

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    I can really careless for boxing or mma as i dont watch either.
    One fact that cant be overlooked is that boxing draws more ppv and always fills th house no matter where the big fight is held.
    I unlike most see mma as a fad.
    I agree with everything

Red
    06 GTO

o sorry was gonna say to, that i think it was ufc 66, the ortiz liddell 2nd match was the biggest draw in ufc history.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005 View Post
    You don't really think thats all these guys make do you? There are also fight bonuses, sponsership money & other kick backs.

Money aside, MMA is eating up boxing. Boxing fans hate it but no matter what they wanna argue it is a more dynamic sport. There are all different variety of arguements from both sides but no matter the differences no one can argue the above fact, its simply more dynamic.

I grew up loving boxing. But as I got older it got stale & kinda boring to me. Then MMA hit & I was very excited about this. I'm sure myself like others have always had a curiosity about Martial Arts in general thankx to old movies & Bruce Lee, LOL. But aside from tournament style matches it hadnt really gone big in America yet until recent years.

Who really cares if the fighters are making 1.5mil or 400k for a fight. That just tells me the MMA fighters are there to fight, not put on a long drawn out show tryin not to get injured & collect a huge paycheck. Thats the type of fighters I want to watch. Boxing has lost alot of its appeal to me b/c now when I watch I find myself getting bored.
    both sports have their fighters that have followers. brock happens to have the biggest draw to the sport in its history. as far as the money paid i included fight bonus' from dana for the 2 ufc events. no bonus included for boxing or from sponsors for either sport. because of brocks sponsors he probably almost has a wrestling annual salary.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ice97ta View Post
    o sorry was gonna say to, that i think it was ufc 66, the ortiz liddell 2nd match was the biggest draw in ufc history.
    ufc 66 had 1 mil buys. biggest at that time. 250k for chuck, 210k for tito. but 100 outdid it by a good margin.

Red
    06 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    ufc 66 had 1 mil buys. biggest at that time. 250k for chuck, 210k for tito. but 100 outdid it by a good margin.
    its not just ppv buys that makes the money, gate wise and ppv combined ufc 66 was the top card.

on another note, did everyone see the attendence at the boxing match this weekend, man only half of what was expected, i even thought it would be higher than it was, i remember watching it asking myself where everyone was LOL

White
    '10 ZR1

So - 1 mil buys X 49.99 = $49,990,000? Right?

So, that would leave 49,530,000 minus the few other minor fights, and Dana White gets the rest?

Wow.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

I don't care to watch two full grown men dry hump

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

being in thai and bjj at team curran I disagree with you on some accounts, but purse numbers you are correct!

When I started about 10 years ago training with jeff curran, his facility had maybe 30 students and one mat to practice on. now team curran has well over 300 students, 2 rings, 3 training mat, a weight room etc. During that team jeff curran, WEC/strikeforce fighter started XFO, a midwest amatuer fight league and that has grown.

the point of this, is I have experience the growth and popularity in the sport. It is growing fast.

Secondly brock lesnar is not the face or spokes person of UFC. He was on the cover of one game and a controversial fighter. Brock yes drew attention to the fights because of his WWE fame and his behavoir. However UFC is not dependant on Brock or GSP. Fights without them do well in tickets sales at the door.

how does MMA not have alot going on for it until mayweather retires?
    MMA has had a lot going on for it, and considering its a sport still in its infancy, mma has down very well.

Boxing is still an easier gamble when placing bets, hence the added revenue. However that is changing also.

Red
    06 GTO

well said ibanez, and i totally agree.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    being in thai and bjj at team curran I disagree with you on some accounts, but purse numbers you are correct!

When I started about 10 years ago training with jeff curran, his facility had maybe 30 students and one mat to practice on. now team curran has well over 300 students, 2 rings, 3 training mat, a weight room etc. During that team jeff curran, WEC/strikeforce fighter started XFO, a midwest amatuer fight league and that has grown.

the point of this, is I have experience the growth and popularity in the sport. It is growing fast.

Secondly brock lesnar is not the face or spokes person of UFC. He was on the cover of one game and a controversial fighter. Brock yes drew attention to the fights because of his WWE fame and his behavoir. However UFC is not dependant on Brock or GSP. Fights without them do well in tickets sales at the door.

how does MMA not have alot going on for it until mayweather retires?
    MMA has had a lot going on for it, and considering its a sport still in its infancy, mma has down very well.

Boxing is still an easier gamble when placing bets, hence the added revenue. However that is changing also.
    there are countless amatuer leagues in both sports across the world. participation has gone up in the states for mma but lots of people who have intentions of joining professional mma dont just go to bjj dojos to train. tons have lots of well spent time in boxing rings.

brock is by far and large the biggest draw of new fans to mma in countries that provide ppv events and citizens who can afford them period. bar none. though the sport itself is not dependant on him, the ufc is milking him for every penny. fans nationally and internationally love to see what this accomplished wrestler/failed football player can do in mma.

as far as money brought in by an event, gate prices should never be factored. simply because the venues are usually different. and no venue has the exact same prices. now if tickets were uniform in price then it can be involved. vegas prices are way higher for mma than out of vegas venues which skews the numbers a bit. hard rock could be half attending patrons compared to maybe madison square garden but hard rock charges more guaranteed just because its a tourist hot spot.

NBM
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    I don't care to watch two full grown men dry hump
    Ahh, one of the uneducated in the sport who cant understand or appreciate a great display of Mixed Martial Arts type watchers has made a post. Congrats, you have shown your obvious lack of knowledge of the sport.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

there are countless amatuer leagues in both sports across the world. participation has gone up in the states for mma but lots of people who have intentions of joining professional mma dont just go to bjj dojos to train. tons have lots of well spent time in boxing rings.

brock is by far and large the biggest draw of new fans to mma in countries that provide ppv events and citizens who can afford them period. bar none. though the sport itself is not dependant on him, the ufc is milking him for every penny. fans nationally and internationally love to see what this accomplished wrestler/failed football player can do in mma.

as far as money brought in by an event, gate prices should never be factored. simply because the venues are usually different. and no venue has the exact same prices. now if tickets were uniform in price then it can be involved. vegas prices are way higher for mma than out of vegas venues which skews the numbers a bit. hard rock could be half attending patrons compared to maybe madison square garden but hard rock charges more guaranteed just because its a tourist hot spot.
    your right there are countless number of training rings around the world, however the boxing ones are shutting doors and losing students where as martials arts are gaining and opening new places. Even boxing couches have switched to instructing at MMA rings.

UFC does what ever sport does, they milk the money for all they can based off of who is the hot seller/performer. Let it be couture, liddel, gsp etc...

lesnar again, had the back of MMA, he was very debated on his behavior and fight skills. Also justs like boxing, people always want to see heavy weights fights. A crowd loves the larger then life figures beating on eachother.

The lack of a great heavyweight is one thing that hurts boxing. HW matches are increase ticket sales.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information