Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malibu owners?

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

Malibu owners?

Any of u here a Malibu owner? My sister is trying to decide between a 2008 Malibu or a 2008 Fusion,. I haven't really read anything 'bad' about these cars but her blue oval buddy is telling her that the Malibu has nothing but probs and the Fusion is the one to buy. Thoughts/opinions?

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by korndawg View Post
    Any of u here a Malibu owner? My sister is trying to decide between a 2008 Malibu or a 2008 Fusion,. I haven't really read anything 'bad' about these cars but her blue oval buddy is telling her that the Malibu has nothing but probs and the Fusion is the one to buy. Thoughts/opinions?
    I dont have an experience with the new malibu but I can tell you the 2004-2007 body style that my aunt and neighbor each have have had tons of issues. Mostly electrical, they have both gone through muliple headlights, tail lights, blinkers, head light sockets, interior dash lights, one of them had to have the ignition replaced, both cars have less than 70k on them and my neighbors tranny doesnt like to up shift when cold(he usually uses the sport buttons to manually shift for the first 5 minutes). Personally if i could only pick from those two cars i would get the fusion. But really I would buy neither.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

if you must choose, get the fusion...malibu's and impalas are throwaway cars...plus the resale goes to shit quick...but honestly i cant see why she would go with the fusion either....there are a lot better cars to be had in that price range.

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

Yes, I wouldnt have her touch the older Malibu's. She is leaning towards the Fusion, but i sure hate Fords........

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

You're describing a situation where her only apparent 2nd opinions for each come from very biased sources towards each respective car.

Try directing her to something that might give her more of an overall balanced comparison between the two.

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

Trying to tell her to get G8 but she don't want a RWD in these Iowa winters.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by korndawg View Post
    Trying to tell her to get G8 but she don't want a RWD in these Iowa winters.
    Get some blizzaks and it will drive better than an FWD car with all seasons. If she really wants a nice car thats good in snow i would suggest a legacy. AWD is hard to beat and hasnt let me down in these Wisconsin winters. The 2.5i 4 cylinder gets 30+mpg freeway, not to mention IMO the interiors are better and dont feel as cheap a GM or as plain as the fusion. If she wants more power than a 4 cylinder there is always the 3.0r h6, and the 2.5gt turbo but i doubt she wants the time spent maintaining a turbo car and paying for premium.

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

My best friend has a 2008 Fusion and I have to say that I’m a fan. It is not my cup of tea, but I can see why the car is so popular and I would recommend it to someone looking for a car in its class. SYNC kicks ass btw.

white
    2000 Z28

rented an 07 a while back. nice car, plenty of room, comfortable, definitely an upgrade over my girls 04 neon lol. i like the styling of it quite a bit, but unfortunately it was too long ago that i dont remember the gas mileage. the malibu would be a front runner in a group of affordable sedans if i were on the market for one right now.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

My mom is on her 3rd malibu. She has had each body style. The last two were leases. Her last one had 40k on it and no problems. The new she has had for a year now. When her current lease is up she will be getting another one.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I rented one of the new Malibus a few months back. Not a bad car at all. I liked the way it drove and it had pretty good gas mileage. I dont know how it is in the long run as far as maintenance goes since it was just a rental and for snow, I REALLY have no idea since the Charleston winter consists of only a change in temp. and nothing else. I like how the new Malibu's look though. I dont have any info. on the Fusion.

What about an Audi A4 Quattro? The AWD would be good for the snow and ice.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by KnightmareWS6 View Post
    I rented one of the new Malibus a few months back. Not a bad car at all. I liked the way it drove and it had pretty good gas mileage. I dont know how it is in the long run as far as maintenance goes since it was just a rental and for snow, I REALLY have no idea since the Charleston winter consists of only a change in temp. and nothing else. I like how the new Malibu's look though. I dont have any info. on the Fusion.

What about an Audi A4 Quattro? The AWD would be good for the snow and ice.
    The new a4s start just under 40,000 and fully loaded they can get to 45k. Its in a whole other price range, which why i suggested a subaru, good options, reliable, decent gas mileage, AWD, non turbo cars are in the low 20s

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    The new a4s start just under 40,000 and fully loaded they can get to 45k. Its in a whole other price range, which why i suggested a subaru, good options, reliable, decent gas mileage, AWD, non turbo cars are in the low 20s
    Yea, but you can always get a used ones. Most of the used Audis that I have seen around here are in immaculate condition and go for around 20k.

Arctic White, red/gray

Yea, but you can always get a used ones. Most of the used Audis that I have seen around here are in immaculate condition and go for around 20k.
    Yes you can, but then again comparing new prices to used is just silly. You always get a better deaal buyign a year old low mileage car and not taking the big hit in value that drops off in the first year. But then again its not new

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i have an 06 fusion, 4 cyl. only 23k miles. its very nice. lots of accomedations, leather/cd/sun roof/blah blah. Not my choice car, but it handles very nicely. I hate the torque managment though. If you step on the gas, you might aswell be waiting for tortellinis to boil. It will not downshift immediately either, so don't get into anything sticky.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    I hate the torque managment though. If you step on the gas, you might aswell be waiting for tortellinis to boil. It will not downshift immediately either, so don't get into anything sticky.
    Why don't you add an exclamation mark infront of it then?

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    i have an 06 fusion, 4 cyl. only 23k miles. its very nice. lots of accomedations, leather/cd/sun roof/blah blah. Not my choice car, but it handles very nicely. I hate the torque managment though. If you step on the gas, you might aswell be waiting for tortellinis to boil. It will not downshift immediately either, so don't get into anything sticky.
    that damn drive-by-wire crap has a delay in it just like the mustangs....it pisses me off when i drive my girls car and it doesnt respond immediately.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Yes you can, but then again comparing new prices to used is just silly. You always get a better deaal buyign a year old low mileage car and not taking the big hit in value that drops off in the first year. But then again its not new
    Well, if you look at the op's first post, he said his sister was looking at the '08s. So obviously she isnt buying something new. Not everyone can afford to buy something brand new off the lot.

Arctic White, red/gray

Well, if you look at the op's first post, he said his sister was looking at the '08s. So obviously she isnt buying something new. Not everyone can afford to buy something brand new off the lot.
    True, but these cars used will still be much cheaper than the audi a4 used. And you can get all the same options just not as nice of an interior. But those audis do look awesome.

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

I think she settled for the Fusion. 2008, all options but nav. 25k miles. Not a bad car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information