midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

Making case for a raise?

This is more for my Girlfriend but I just wanted to get her some ideas to help make her case.

She has worked for this family run comany for a little over 5 years. It's a pretty good sized comany. They have probally 60 employees or so. She has worked just about every production position and knows her stuff. She now works in the office and handles the office stuff. Apparently she has not had a raise in 3 years.

She has a direct working relationship with the big-ups.

I recently spent time with her boss and he was tellin me what a great worker she is and she can do anything etc, yet they are not paying her like they should.

Their company recently released a chart of every postion (pay wise)
    her position had a range of $15 -$18/hr. She is on the bottom of this.

We feel she should be more towards the top (especially not recieving a raise in 3 years.

She really likes the job, so walking is not an option at the moment.

Any suggestions would be apprecited.
    Last edited by knightryda01; 12-12-2009 at 01:05 PM.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post
    This is more for my Girlfriend but I just wanted to get her some ideas to help make her case.

She has worked for this family run comany for a little over 5 years. It's a pretty good sized comany. They have probally 60 employees or so. She has worked just about every production position and knows her stuff. She now works in the office and handles the office stuff. Apparently she has not had a raise in 3 years.

I recently spent time with her boss and he was tellin me what a great worker she is and she can do anything etc, yet they are not paying her like they should.

We feel she should be more towards the top (especially not recieving a raise in 3 years.

Done, and done.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Sex the boss

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

She's a woman...start making accusations of them being sexist and not giving her a raise while other males did. Threaten to sue.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Sex the boss
    His gf should try that also.

midnight blue

I try to tell her that stuff but she is having a problem bringing it to their attention.

Her thought process is like this... Maybe if I take on more jobs at work they will see how hard I am working and give me a raise.

I say their just watching you work your ass off and not paying you accordingly. I said she needs to be upfront about it and get what she wants. vs. waiting for the handout.

I could also understand if the company was struggling but that does not appear to be the case.

Impounded
    2000 firechicken

How is the company doing right now? Now isn't the best time to be asking for a raise.

midnight blue

Their pretty strong from what I know.

Impounded
    2000 firechicken

I guess it depends on how they're doing... Most places are laying people off and cutting hours and pay.

midnight blue

Yea I know that... The comany I work for I got a $3.00 paycut/hr so they can sell raffle tickets for a Nintendo Wii.... WTF?

Pissed off? just a little bit. Yea then they wanna sell me a $5.00 cookbook.

I'm talking about a multi-million dollar comany... Don't get me started.

Too add insult to injury, all the high-ups are not taking cuts. Their always manage to have a big smile on their face.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

she needs to compile a list of reasons that she feels she deserves a raise. point out how many jobs she can do and do well, how long she has been with the company, how she hasn't had a raise in a long time, what the range of salary is, find out if the company has increased profits over the last year, and if possible she may even find out what her qualifications could get her at a different company.

she compiles them and comes up with a good respectable plan and she goes in and talks to the boss one on one after the first of the year. if they are a good management team they will recognize her accomplishments and they will give her the raise. either way she can't just wait for them to recognize her achievements if it has been 3 years. if they haven't yet, they won't anytime soon.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

She needs to go straight to the person who manages her and knows what kind of job she does.

One time I have asked for a raise, and i got it. I was the highest paid pizza maker in the restaurant

Ask and you shall receive, there is absolutely nothing wrong with ask for a raise if you know you deserve it.

Green
    1996 Acura Integra

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    His gf should try that also.
    I see what you did there.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

She has to voice her opinion. Bottom line.

She needs to go straight to the boss and inform him/her of how she feels.

No raise in 3 years? What kind of company is this? Sounds like slave drivers to me. She must REALLY like what she is doing to put up with that...

I was in the same situation working for a large corporation (felt I was underpaid based on my experience and title). I felt all of my hard work and dedication wasn't getting me what I wanted, but I never said anything about it. I finally spoke up and told them I was going on interviews if they didn't do something about my situation and my next review was the largest one I had ever been given in the 8 years I worked there.

Bottom line is, if a company values an employee, they WILL do something to keep that employee happy. Companies cannot afford to lose high-potential employees. Even more so in a shit economy where lean is a way of life. They need people on board that can get the job done more efficient and effective.

If they don't, that's not a company you need to be working for.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    she needs to compile a list of reasons that she feels she deserves a raise. point out how many jobs she can do and do well, how long she has been with the company, how she hasn't had a raise in a long time, what the range of salary is, find out if the company has increased profits over the last year, and if possible she may even find out what her qualifications could get her at a different company.

she compiles them and comes up with a good respectable plan and she goes in and talks to the boss one on one after the first of the year. if they are a good management team they will recognize her accomplishments and they will give her the raise. either way she can't just wait for them to recognize her achievements if it has been 3 years. if they haven't yet, they won't anytime soon.
    Read this after I posted. THIS EXACTLY.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I thought COL raises were standard in all areas of business.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

If she plays her cards right, sexual services could possibly be paid under the table by the boss, not taxed.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I wouldn't expect a raise with the way the economy is now.

midnight blue

I guess it depends on where ya work.

We all know that companies that perform badly or need bailouts get huge bonuses... so go figure

'02 White, '95 Black
    '02 Camaro B4C, '95 9C1

Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post

During her next review, she should present her boss with the list of jobs she has learned to do and the accomplishments she has made over the last three years. Then she should ask him / her if its fair to have not received a raise or any recognition during that time. The answer she gets will determine her course of action: whether to stay there as a door mat or to "oil up the wheels on her tool box" and get it ready to roll outa there.

She should also realize that she is working in a "family owned" business - which means she won't go very far there unless she marries the owner's son.

Rip

Thread Information