Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1966 Corvette Coupe

Lowering price on bill of sales?

The guy that is buying my car insinuates that he wants me to write the bill of sales for less than the actual price... I don't blame him because he is gonna have to pay sales tax on what i write... But what can go wrong for me if i do this... I could really see this causing a possible issue if he said that he didnt owe me bu what was on the bill of sales and so forth...

I hate our used car sales tax law and would love to see the government screwed out of some cash, but i dont want to see myself screwed out of some cash...

Ideas?

-me

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Well, when my dad bought his bike he payed $5000 for it and the guy wrote $500 on the bill of sale. Nothing happened. We put $5k on my WS6 that really cost $16k and I'm still here lol

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

When I bought my first car we did the same thing.. Didn't lower it by that much, though. Nothing ever happened..

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I've screwed the gov out of quite a bit doing this. The key is: GET THE $$$ 1ST! Then you can write the Bill of Sale for as little as you want. I even wrote one as a "gift" and the person buying the car didn't even pay a dime in sales tax. I will admit that the Ca DMV called both of us to task about it but since it was theoretically and technically "legal" at the time there wasn't anything they could about it.

Edit: It didn't hurt that the person I sold the car to as a gift was a family member.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 06-27-2008 at 08:24 AM. Reason: added things

Black
    2005 GTO

I've done it on both my previous cars. Neither of which were worth a whole lot, one I sold for $1500 and the other $3000. I wrote $500 on the bill of sale. Also the guy that I bought my first car from did the same for me. On cheap cars I don't see much of a problem but I would think a newer car with a price tag of 20k with bill of sale for $500 would raise a red flag somewhere in the goverment but maybe thats just me.

The only smart way to do this is to be the "person" in the deal with two bill of sales.One for what you actually paid and one for the DMV to have.That way you and only you have proof of what you paid.

1966 Corvette Coupe

Unfortunately I'm gonna have to take a little bit of a risk and accept a cashiers check from the guy for what I had paid off on the car. So in all reality i wont know the funds cleared for atleast a few days (I know I know, but I dont know how else to do it without having to make him wait like 3 days and that could easily be a deal breaker.) I guess I could give him one for the full price and then when the cash clears I could mail him one for less to give him a break on taxes.

That way if something goes wrong i have proof that he owes me more cash and if everything clears ok he will still get a cut on his taxes.

-me

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Here is exactly what I would do. Take the money, wait for it to clear. Once it clears, then write what he wants on the bill of sale. Then give it to him. I have bought my last 3 daily drivers like this. I only paid $50 dollars each according to the bill of sales
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

the dmv here will check book value on the car and if you write a receipt lower than the book value they will charge them tax on book value.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    the dmv here will check book value on the car and if you write a receipt lower than the book value they will charge them tax on book value.
    Same here

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    The guy that is buying my car insinuates that he wants me to write the bill of sales for less than the actual price... I don't blame him because he is gonna have to pay sales tax on what i write... But what can go wrong for me if i do this... I could really see this causing a possible issue if he said that he didnt owe me bu what was on the bill of sales and so forth...

I hate our used car sales tax law and would love to see the government screwed out of some cash, but i dont want to see myself screwed out of some cash...

Ideas?

-me
    That used to work but like Krese said the DMV taxes based on what their book says..

Grey
    2003 R/T

When my brother signed over my truck into my name we put $500 on the B O S and they called bs on us and sent us a letter saying we owed the amount that blue book said it was worth......like 16k. Anyways we just ignored it and nothing happened, how can they prove how much you really paid/sold for the thing.

red
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

different states have different laws as far as the book value goes and taxes. i bought a car at a car lot and they gave me 2 bill of sales for this reason. i buy most cars for cash now though and i have never put the right price on them. taxes are 9.75% here in tennessee so you need every break you can get

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Just bought my last daily driver about 1 month ago and it worked. The DMV can't tell what shape the car is in, maybe the fucker don't run, or is smashed. I call BS on letting them use blue book, tell them to fuck off. Car could be stripped for all they know, and you want to re-do it.

07 MAZDASPEED6 GT

i never lower the $ on the actual BOS, but i don't care if they lower it on the title to pay less tax

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Florida has a minimum that must be paid

Black
    99 Z28

easy. If the price of the car is 12,000 then have him buy something useless from you for 11,500 and buy the car from you for 500.

sell him the key to the car for 11,500 or something like that, but GET THE CASH FIRST!!!!!!!!

hell, even take the cash to the bank first.

sell him a block of wood or something but just make sure to get the money. I can't blame the guy. I've done that before with cars. They get enough tax after it's all said and done anyway.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

i told them i traded cars. plus cash worked her but who knows if it looks real fishy they will look into it anyway.

Black
    99 Z28

oh, you could also use something like "as is, not running" on the bill of sale. After all, it doesn't run till the key is in it.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by DrMilhouse View Post
    oh, you could also use something like "as is, not running" on the bill of sale. After all, it doesn't run till the key is in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information