Just bought an 02 Z28, need advice on title issues

Hello,

A couple weeks ago, I found a deal on a 02 Z28 M6 with 67k miles for $4500 that needed a new T56 tranny. I bought the car and got a bill of sale and the title. I had a tranny put in the car and was finally able to take it by the tax collector's office. There were some issues and I wasn't able to get the title signed over to me yet.

Here is the story as I understand it right now:
    1. Previous owner buys the car in July from original owner in New York.
    2. They had the car shipped down to Florida. When they were taking the car off the trailer, a hole was punctured in the tranny's oil pan and all the fluid leaked out. Nobody noticed that this happened and the transmission killed itself the first time they tried to drive it.
    3. The Florida people decided to try and replace the transmission themselves. The guy pulls the transmission out and various brackets, but then realizes he's in over is head and can't do it himself.
    3. After that, they had the car towed to a friend's shop for repair. They were having a hard time tracking down a transmission and a month and a half went by with nothing happening.
    4. The Florida people get desperate for money and post the car up for sale even though it still didn't have a transmission.
    5. I e-mail the person and plan on looking at it the next weekend. They give me the number and address to the shop where it's located.
    6. I call the shop to tell them that I wanted to come look at the car. They say it's already sold and someone was driving there that night to tow it away (a wholesaler).
    7. I am sad, but I move on to other cars.
    8. The next day, I get an e-mail from the Florida people saying that the car is still available and that the people didn't show last night.
    9. I call the shop again and find out someone is coming the next morning to get the car (another wholesaler). I leave work early and go to the shop.
    10. I get to the shop and look the car over, start it up, etc. I talk to the shop owner and as it turns out the Florida people have now moved to Oregon! Before they left, they gave the title to the shop.
    11. I am iffy about the whole situation, but I want to get the deal done before someone else buys the car, so we make the deal. The shop people sign the Florida's person's name on a bill of sale. We leave the shop with a bill of sale and the title. Since I didn't want to pay to have the car towed somewhere else, I tell the shop owner I'll get him a transmission for the car and he can put it in for me. The shop owner wires the money from the sale to the Florida people (now in Oregon).
    12. As you can probably already guess, since the car was never really drivable while they had it, the Florida people never transferred the title over to them (or paid taxes for that matter), but the original owner had indeed released the title (his signature was in the release section).
    13. Two weeks later, I finally get the car back with a working transmission. I hope that the tax collector's office can work something out.
    14. I go to the tax collector's office. They tell me that car still needs to be signed over to the people in Oregon and then signed over to me. Or, they say I can get a bill of sale from the original owner to me.

At this point I'm fuming, I'm going to call the Oregon people to find out more about the real story of this car. I honestly don't think they or the shop people are trying to screw me over. It's just a messy situation. Anybody have advice on the whole situation?

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Not much you can do... Get ahold of the FL people, or the original owner, and see who is willing to do what for you.

Or, find somebody cool who works at the DOT or whereever and have them "bend" the rules

thats all I got..

Red
    91 Mustang LX

So the previous owners (FL folks) didn't sign their name on the title? Instead they put your information as the buyer? Am I understanding this correct?

In reality, the FL people never technically owned the car. The FL people never signed on the title as the buyer. Right now the title is the original owner's title from New York with his signature in the seller section and no other information / signatures are on the title.

Quote Originally Posted by superfastls1 View Post
    So the previous owners (FL folks) didn't sign their name on the title? Instead they put your information as the buyer? Am I understanding this correct?

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

just sign the title as the buyer from the newyork first owner.

title issues SUCKKKKK

Red
    91 Mustang LX

Quote Originally Posted by 2MuchFun View Post

title issues SUCKKKKK
    I would do that and try going to a different license branch. They won't know the difference.

That's what I'm leaning torwards, but wouldn't the tax collector office need to see some kind of proof of ownership (bill of sale, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by 2MuchFun View Post

title issues SUCKKKKK

red
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

if you have the title signed by the buyer and seller and notorized you dont need a bill of sale. there is a place on the title to list the amount you pay for the car. if you can get the owner on the title to put a low amount on that you wont have to pay as much on taxes

1999 Camaro SS #24
    98 Corvette-99 Camaro SS

I would just try to deal with the original NY owner. It sounds like the FL/Oregon people probably won't be to helpful. Or just put your info as the buyer from the NY guy and try a diff tag office

just sign the title

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

You just fixed someone else's car.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Forge signatures...they will never know.

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

yup^

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

Get a lawyer

Thread Information