Thread: Jury Duty..

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Jury Duty..

Has anyone not shown up for it? What happened?

I'm supposed to report in the morning but I took the day off to go to the docs with my g/f...thinking about just not showing up.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    Has anyone not shown up for it? What happened?

I'm supposed to report in the morning but I took the day off to go to the docs with my g/f...thinking about just not showing up.
    I dont know about where you live, but not showing up where I live they threaten fines. Although I heard the excuse of it never coming in the mail works. I had jury duty like a year ago, but i got out of it because they block of numbers that got drawn i missed it by exactly 1 number. A guy I worked with had to serve jury duty for 2 weeks! Its boring as fuck and theres a lot of sitting around. But there IS a penalty if you dont go. How often it gets issued I couldnt tell ya.

Ya im sure it will eventually come back to bite ya because they know if you are there or not. i had it a few years back and got stuck on a loan fraud case for 4 days of sitting, pretty interesting if you get a cool case but they will use you for many cases if you work out for the lawyers. When the lawyers were trying to decide who to use for the jury they asked each of us what kind of bumper stickers we had on our cars, i guess to find out what kind of people we were, so i suggest saying that you have all kinds of racist bumper stickers, that will get you out of it, at least for that case

05 Wrangler

On the courts site it says this..

When you do not appear for jury duty, you will be sent a postcard stating you failed to appear. You need to follow the instructions on the postcard. You will automatically be assigned a new date for jury duty if you do not respond. “Any prospective trial juror who has been summoned for service, and who fails to attend as directed or to respond to the court or jury commissioner and to be excused from attendance, may be attached and compelled to attend. Following an order to show cause hearing, the court may find the prospective juror in contempt of court, punishable by fine, incarceration, or both, as otherwise provided by law.” Civil Code of Procedures 209. Fines start at $250.00 with a maximum of $1500.00.

That's what got me wondering if I should just be a no show. To me it says if you no show twice you could be fined or jailed...but the first time I guess they just give you a new date?

i would just go and find the guy guilty or act tottaly incompetant so they never ask again

Silver
    99 Chrysler 300M

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Up Greasin View Post
    i would just go and find the guy guilty or act tottaly incompetant so they never ask again

05 Wrangler

Yea i'll probably end up going and try explaining my situation to the judge...I usually get shafted when I do the right thing though.

I actually want to do it because my job will give me full pay for like 3-4 days of it....it's just a shitty time.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I was called to show up for jury duty a couple years ago. Sat in a ct.house with like 30 other people, I was never picked. Got to leave at noonish. Not a bad deal. $15 cash and paid leave from work. The very next year I got another questionaire to fill out for jury duty again and just threw that one in the trash. Nothing has happened yet.

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

If you have any LE or military background, all you have to state is that you have an affiliation with law enforcement or military and I believe that they excuse you.

I have been excused every single time.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

just suck it up and do it. those law enforcement guys are doing their job to prosecute the criminals. the least you can do, is get some paid leave, do the job, and make a few dollars.

every day i do shit i'd rather not do, because it's an inconvience. but being an American, its your job to stand jury duty.

Sevicemembers are doing their job fighting in a war that some of them don't agree with. but we signed the dotted line, we live in America, and we're doing what has to be done. even if it's an inconvience or not.

05 Wrangler

Like i said I want to do jury duty but i'll be damned if i'm not going to be there for my girlfriend...but i also don't wanna be fined/go to jail over it either.
    I guess i'm going to find out the hard way..

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    Like i said I want to do jury duty but i'll be damned if i'm not going to be there for my girlfriend...but i also don't wanna be fined/go to jail over it either.
    I guess i'm going to find out the hard way..
    what is she going to the doc's for? is she knocked up or something?? i mean, if it's not life or death, or you're finding out the sex of your baby or something, she can reshedual, or you can miss...

Thread Information