Green
    1996 Acura Integra

I've been quoted!

I was searching my screen name and saw it on automobile.com. I comment there from time to time and watch the rumors page for auto news. I followed the link and didn't see my SN with the other comments. ??? Why is this linked with my SN? So I read the short article and saw that I was quoted. I know I'm a little overly excited but hey it's not until your quoted do you realize that someone actually read what you wrote.

In the United States, Volkswagen has earned a reputation for sustaining its diesel technology program as other automakers have casually flirted with oil burners. With the introduction of the Touareg Hybrid SUV, and the forthcoming 2011 Jetta hybrid, is Volkswagen ultimately pushing potential buyers away from diesels?

Several days ago, we asked you whether it was right for Honda to abandon diesel technology to focus exclusively on hybrids. While commenter loasdrums wrote that "diesels are a hard sell for Americans," Volkswagen has been a diesel pioneer in America since the first TDI-equipped models nearly 30 years ago. During our year in a Volkswagen Jetta TDI, we had no complaints, and seeing an average of 37 mpg wasn't so bad, either.

Will a VW Jetta hybrid ultimately steal the thunder from a comparably equipped TDI model? Or will a hybrid just add another flavor to the menu of Jettas?
    http://rumors.automobilemag.com/6696...tdi/index.html

It seems that they are countering my comment by pointing out that VW has had success with diesels and they have. VW has found a niche audience with their cars. And Honda could very well give VW the competition that hasn't been there. Mercedes is a whole different market due to price point. I think Honda could beat them with price and match in build quality. I'm all for competition. Bring it on.

Looking at it now it looks like the hybrids that Toyota sold l like hot cakes to hippies. I still think it's ugly.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

according to a yahoo news link I saw a few days ago, the tdi takes over 6 years to pay for itself with an average driver

Green
    1996 Acura Integra

The good news: Drivers can now choose from six hybrid models from Ford, General Motors, Toyota and Honda that all could earn back their higher cost in less than 10 years.
    http://blog.cleveland.com/business/2...uicker_wi.html

That is speaking of paying off the higher prices. Was the article you read talking about that or paying off the car as a whole? I found 2010 VW Jetta TDIs advertised for $21,000. That price is on par with other cars in the class. Hybrids are getting more affordable but still cost more than those of the same make and model.

Diesel-Powered VW's Cheaper, Better MPG, Resale Value Than Comparable Hybrids
    05:53 p.m. EDT, July 05, 2009

With the lasting aroma and noise of diesel-powered vehicles from the seventies still in our memories, it will surprise many American drivers that today's generation of diesels are more affordable, cleaner running, and more fuel efficient than ever. Using Volkswagen's new clean diesel technology, the 2009 Jetta GTI Diesel Sportwagon satisfies EPA emissions standards for all 50 states.

Compared to the Toyota Camry Hybrid, which gets 33 mpg city and 34 mpg highway, the GTI gets 30 mpg city and 40 mpg highway. The cost of operation for the GTI depends on the price of diesel fuel, which varies from state to state. What does add up in the GTI's favor is its lower maintenance costs and its resale value. For example, a used 2006 GTI can sell for as much as it did when new.

Fuel prices and fuel efficiency considered, the new cleaner, highly efficient diesel engines today are able competitors for the more expensive and more costly to maintain gasoline-electric hybrids. Acceleration, braking and handling add to the driving enjoyment of the GTI. With tax credits for both the hybrid and the diesel, the GTI pulls ahead with its free scheduled maintenance for the first three years or 36,000 miles.
    http://www.carseek.com/news/july2009...el-powered-VW/

My opinion is that hybrids suck and there are so many ways to to achieve better fuel economy. Honda's 1985 Civic HF is listed having 40 city and 48 highway on http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm. That's better than the hybrid Camry and diesel GTI. Regulations have added weight along with creature comforts that the OEMs think we want more than mpgs.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

hybrids are super gay and will never save you money over a cheap gasser. The battery manufacturing process throws out protecting the environment. 21K for a no-option old body style jetta. My friend just got one loaded to the gills and I despise it with a passion. Noisy (not the engine, poorly insulated), rough, cheap feeling, and the roof is where my head should be.. where my shoulders should be in the back seats I'd kill myself if I had to drive one. The article was all expenses of the five cylinder versus the diesel

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Congrats

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Congrats
    What did I do's?

black
    98 WS6

I want my next car to be vw lupo diesel

Thread Information