Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Insane gas bill, landlord won't fix furnace.

Day one when I moved in I knew there was something wrong with this furnace. Didn't blow hot air or much air at all.

I told the landlord.

He did nothing, just rambled on about how it worked fine with the other tenants.

I explained they burned wood.

Fast forward two weeks. The fridge goes out, I tell the landlord. He ends up yelling on the phone saying he doesn't give a shit and i'm pissing him off. All I do is complain. I continued to tell him the furnace needs inspected since it hasn't been inspected since '81. He continued to say he doesn't give a shit.

So that was like a month a go and I get my gas bill today. $368 for one month. We keep the thermostat at 67 degrees.

Now what?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

have someone comeout to do a free estimate for repair on it... let him know again and do it this time get proof that you have told him and get stubs of ALL the gas bills you have paid since letting him know... include the estimate for repairs from who ever comes out (the more the better) and let him know you will seek legal reprocusions if it is not fixed...

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Thanks, I'll see if a local guy will take a look at it and document it's problems.

Sebring Silver
    00 Camaro SS/09 LS3 Vette

Google renter's bill of rights. This asshole has no idea how much trouble he could get into. I would also record him.

I'd call a lawyer too. I can tell you from experience this is going to get out of hand.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Jesus, this is the last thing I need.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

yea im with above replies..this landolord can get into a lot of trouble over the way he is talking to you, and responding about items that need fixed...tell him your seeking legal advice on the topic and that your lawyer will be in contact with him (kinda do this in a way to threaten/scare him at first) if it doesnt help then actually pursue legal help in this area..i know when my old land lord told me about the a/c that was taking a shit on us, he told us to invest in some fans, i told him you can fix it now, or have a empty house and have lawyers contacting you, along with paying for my electric bill due to the fact HIS a/c wasnt working correctly. that straightened him right out

Black
    99 Z-28

I believe that you can stop paying rent until the issue is resolved.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

^ What they said and also threaten to call the city inspector on them too. Chances are they are way behind on codes.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well, the first thing I would do is check out the obvious stuff you can check. Filter clean? Duct work in good shape? Seal around the blower box good? Things like that. Then you can take further actions. If you can get an inspection done and have in writing the furnace is broken you can put the rent into escrow which means he won't get paid his due rent until it's fixed. I'm sure state law varies so by all means talk to someone local that will know for sure. You *might* be able to take him to small claims court for the high gas bill too. Don't just stop paying rent though...talk to someone locally that will be able to help you out. Either way it will get resolved but like I say......I'd make sure it isn't something simple first and avoid the headache.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I would also send him something in writing. Certified mail. (keeping a copy for yourself)

Get your estimates to have thing fixed, after the repairs are made, then deduct the amount it costs from the rent.

But, as mentioned, don't stop paying rent and check your state laws first. You'll get a better idea of what actions you can take.

Another day Another 5th ARM5280's Avatar

Black
    Murdered 2006 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by walterchang View Post
    I believe that you can stop paying rent until the issue is resolved.
    In no state in the US can you do this.

The main trouble may be with your health. If the furnace is not burning the gas completely you could have a carbon monoxide build up in the home. The heat exchanger most likely has holes in it making it possible for the unburned gas into the home.(1981 being the last inspection my first clue)

Skip the threats of leagal action, just go forward with it. Let your lawyer direct you as to what estimates to get. In the mean time look for another place, because this won't end well. Really, if it did end well would you really still want to live there?

Good Luck

Are you renting from a private person? You might want to think about finding another place to live. Is it really worth your time dealing with all the shit?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Yes, it's a private person. I told my roommates, don't be surprised if I leave and of course they won't be happy about it.

It just shouldn't be a problem, cuz I've rented since I was 19 and never had an issue.

So a couple weeks back when I called him about it he came and looked at it, I looked at it, it's nothing obvious, the flame is working and he was trying to explain to me how it's working fine, and I'm like, NO it's not. The thing kicks on every 15-20 minutes and we have it set at 67.

Thing is, I REALLY don't wanna pay this much on a gas bill. Money is NOT the problem, it's the principle that I told him on day 1 this thing is not working right.

I was reading about escrow and basically it shows you have the money to pay rent but you choose not to until the issue is resolved, but I need to read more about it.

Not sure what else to do, it'd be cheaper to live on my own then rent this house. The rent is a good deal 350, but cable, internet, electric, gas. Now it adds up to almost 600 a month. It's ridiculous, I could live on my own for that much.

This is all good advice, just not sure what step to take first.

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Yes, it's a private person. I told my roommates, don't be surprised if I leave and of course they won't be happy about it.

It just shouldn't be a problem, cuz I've rented since I was 19 and never had an issue.

So a couple weeks back when I called him about it he came and looked at it, I looked at it, it's nothing obvious, the flame is working and he was trying to explain to me how it's working fine, and I'm like, NO it's not. The thing kicks on every 15-20 minutes and we have it set at 67.

Thing is, I REALLY don't wanna pay this much on a gas bill. Money is NOT the problem, it's the principle that I told him on day 1 this thing is not working right.

I was reading about escrow and basically it shows you have the money to pay rent but you choose not to until the issue is resolved, but I need to read more about it.

Not sure what else to do, it'd be cheaper to live on my own then rent this house. The rent is a good deal 350, but cable, internet, electric, gas. Now it adds up to almost 600 a month. It's ridiculous, I could live on my own for that much.

This is all good advice, just not sure what step to take first.
    Could it be the house? Some older houses can be a bitch to heat becuase of the drafty windows and poorly insulated.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Nhra Firebird View Post
    Could it be the house? Some older houses can be a bitch to heat becuase of the drafty windows and poorly insulated.
    I don't know how much it's insulated and i know the windows aren't the best, but almost 400 for a gas bill at 67 degrees is unheard of.

My manager has pretty much the same home, and he paid 80 this month at 73 degrees. And my roommates dad pays 100. Think about that...400 dollars would pay my managers gas bill for 5 months. The whole winter.

I know it's been cold, but this is absurd. I'm calling the gas company tomorrow and see if they can explain it first. Then I'll call the landlord and see if he's ready to fix it yet. Probably won't be, then I'll get someone over here to look at it and call his dumbass again.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    I know it's been cold, but this is absurd. I'm calling the gas company tomorrow
    I would do that first. It could be a mistake made by the Gas Co. I just went through a similar issue with my electric company this past summer. Except that I had just installed a new air conditioner. So, it definitely was not an issue with my air conditioner.

My bill was too almost $400. They did an investigation and put a hold on my account. Then resolved the issue and sent me a new bill for like $98 or something there abouts.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I would do that first. It could be a mistake made by the Gas Co. I just went through a similar issue with my electric company this past summer. Except that I had just installed a new air conditioner. So, it definitely was not an issue with my air conditioner.

My bill was too almost $400. They did an investigation and put a hold on my account. Then resolved the issue and sent me a new bill for like $98 or something there abouts.
    DAYUM! Even here in the PHX (constant 110+ heat) it cost ~$250/month to keep the house at 76*...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    DAYUM! Even here in the PHX (constant 110+ heat) it cost ~$250/month to keep the house at 76*...
    This was actually my October bill. Hadn't really needed to use the air that month at all. My October bills are usually around $100-$150 give or take and my records for the last 11 years pretty much validated that. Now, July, August and Sept, those months are considerably higher and I keep it set to 80 in the summer and 68 in the winter.

So, I knew right off that there had to be a mistake. But, the SCE took care of it no problems.

Oh, plus I get a med baseline discount.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro z28

have went through this in the past. Our heat would stop working randomly during the coldest times of the winter and our bill was always outrageous. Turned out to be the exhaust was clogged and the intake pipe from outside was too small. The furnace was always on trying to suck in enough air to heat the house.

Send certified letters
    Keep a log of every phone conversation/time he comes out to look at it

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Remember back when I was looking for a place to rent in Omaha Tim? Glad I didn't move in with you guys! No advice to offer, but I hope you either get out and find a new place or get this resolved fairly easily.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information