Is it illegal to trade MP3's with buddies?

So I have some buddies that want to trade some MP3's via external hard drives. I am leary of doing this since I am thinking it's illegal. And what I'm wondering is if I trade to a buddy, then he gives the music to another buddy, and that guy gets caught, can it come back to get me? Is this just generally a bad idea and should I not even get involved in this? What's everyone's opinion on trading MP3's directly and not over any network resource of any type?

Door-To-Door Pipelayer DJ Red Barron's Avatar

86 Buick GNx - Black
    08 Jeep GC SRT8 - SBM

Quote Originally Posted by hirdlej
    So I have some buddies that want to trade some MP3's via external hard drives. I am leary of doing this since I am thinking it's illegal. And what I'm wondering is if I trade to a buddy, then he gives the music to another buddy, and that guy gets caught, can it come back to get me? Is this just generally a bad idea and should I not even get involved in this? What's everyone's opinion on trading MP3's directly and not over any network resource of any type?
    Well, it's basically the same as DLing them. You just are getting them straight from a HD instead of going through a network. I am sure it's technically illegal. However, if you approach it from the angle that you are storing the MP3s for your buddy providing him an off-site backup in case he ever loses his, then I figure you would be in the clear. And there is nothing wrong with listening to the items you are storing.

LoL, true..here's my delimma. The guy is a so-so friend, not real close to me. If I don't want to give him anything of mine, and he knows I have a lot of music, could he turn me in?

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Not in Canada.

Alltho they are talking about changing that atm.

So far so good.

YOW Pookie's gone postal! Motrv8d Steve's Avatar

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

I found this by googling "mp3 sharing legal issues,":

http://www.computerhope.com/mp3.htm

MP3 Legal information - MP3s can be owned legally, providing the following: you encode songs off of your own CDs and keep them for yourself, obtain written permission from the copyright holder of the music, or the music is available with the copyright owner's consent. It is Illegal to encode MP3 files and share them with any other entity unless you have written permission of the copyright holder of the music. It is also Illegal to download any songs or music off of the Internet for CDs you do not have in your own possession and rightfully own or have no copyright holders consent.

I'm sure you'll be able to find more just by looking into it. I know myself that when I DL'd some iTunes from apple and tried to copy them to my gf's iPod, a message came up that said (I believe, not certain) that I was allowed to share the song with like 1-5 people or something like that. So it's controlled, but I don't have all the info...

86 Buick GNx - Black
    08 Jeep GC SRT8 - SBM

Quote Originally Posted by hirdlej
    LoL, true..here's my delimma. The guy is a so-so friend, not real close to me. If I don't want to give him anything of mine, and he knows I have a lot of music, could he turn me in?
    I suppose he could. I am not sure exactly who he could call to do that. Maybe he doesn't know anyone specifically to call either.

Also, it would be far easier to just put your stuff on a drive he has no access to. Then tell him you lost 90% of your stuff in some catastrophic HD failure or something. He won't need to know you "found your backup" after you get the stuff from him.

86 Buick GNx - Black
    08 Jeep GC SRT8 - SBM

Quote Originally Posted by Motrv8d Steve
    I found this by googling "mp3 sharing legal issues,":

http://www.computerhope.com/mp3.htm

MP3 Legal information - MP3s can be owned legally, providing the following: you encode songs off of your own CDs and keep them for yourself, obtain written permission from the copyright holder of the music, or the music is available with the copyright owner's consent. It is Illegal to encode MP3 files and share them with any other entity unless you have written permission of the copyright holder of the music. It is also Illegal to download any songs or music off of the Internet for CDs you do not have in your own possession and rightfully own or have no copyright holders consent.

I'm sure you'll be able to find more just by looking into it. I know myself that when I DL'd some iTunes from apple and tried to copy them to my gf's iPod, a message came up that said (I believe, not certain) that I was allowed to share the song with like 1-5 people or something like that. So it's controlled, but I don't have all the info...
    With that in mind, I wonder... Since I have a thousand or so "bought" cassette tapes, could I DL those songs legally? I have already paid for them.

YOW Pookie's gone postal! Motrv8d Steve's Avatar

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

sure you could since you're the legal owner. but taped music has more hiss in it and you'll be able to hear the hiss when you play them back, no?

86 Buick GNx - Black
    08 Jeep GC SRT8 - SBM

Quote Originally Posted by Motrv8d Steve
    sure you could since you're the legal owner. but taped music has more hiss in it and you'll be able to hear the hiss when you play them back, no?
    Actually, what I was thinking is.... I have the tapes. Rather than rip the tapes, I just go and DL the tracks from LimeWire or Bearshare. The DLd tracks would be in CD quality.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

who gives a fuck if its legal or not, no one will catch you

these dam musisians bitching that their music is getting stolen, yet their record sales arent suffereing = greed

NBM
    99 TA

i have DL'd thousands of songs... i dont see why you would be worried about getting in trouble? how many ppl have actually been charged for this?
    ive never heard of anyone... but im from canada too so maybe that is why

Thread Information