Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

I think I like the Saab 9-7x as my next tow vehical

I think I like the Saab 9-7x as my next tow vehical

My chevy express 1500 isn’t as stronge of a TV as I’d hoped it would be, it is a tad better than the Astro van I started w/.

Note: my boat is lite, hull/engine/trailer under 3K LBs however it’s very tall I think about 10’ from ground

What do you Guys think of the Saab 9-7x it was made by GM (when GM owned part of Saab) and has LM7 5.3 and newer models even have the 6.0 LS2 same as the trailblazer SS.

Since it’s a rare vehicle I’m a little leary of replacement body panels being available other than that it appears to be a fancy trail blazer.

Edit concerned w/ how low the Saab is to the ground will this effect towing a tall vessel?
    Thanks

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

I pulled the trigger on the 97x it appears very nice.

the engine has cylinder #1 missfire. the seller has noted they swapped the spark plug and SP wire wasn't the solution.I will first pull spark plug inspeact then add a coil.if no joy

will pull valve cover I'm hopping to find a collasped lifter still in tack where I can simply replace.

I'm hopping a valve didn't break and fall down into engine.I payed for a V8 ready roller. so if the 152K 5.3LM isn't internalley damaged will continue w/ it.

plan is to find a used donor truck LQ9/7L70 trans dissassemble hoppefulley just hone and rering/new crank /cam bearings , street stripe cam good ARP rod bolts. and I've read the trailblazer ss has oil pump starvation issues solution is the reenginnered oil pickup tube is now pointed toward middle (deepest part of plan).
    can the orginale oil pickup tube be bent rather than being replaced?

trans will proballey get a TCI master rebuild kit (remember the vehical has 152K miles) w/ the 3 extra cluch packs/sun shell/corvette 2nd 3rd servos, external trans cooler (rad delete cooler) trans temp guage and possaible a larger vented trans pan.

since this 2007 vehical came w/ a 5.3 LM7 it's computer requires a 58tooth crank reluckter wheel so donor engine will have to be minium 2007 or newer to be transplanted correct?

will any size engine be a direct swap (electricalley) like if I'm able to find a donor GTO w/ LS2 it would be a plug and play correct?

this vehical runs drives and shifts good however
    I'm having it delivered from about 400 miles away should recieve early next week.

WHY cant I upload images here at LS1.com
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 09-08-2017 at 02:41 AM.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

no one knows about enginge swaps and crank reluckter wheel?
    cam-LTs-FAST78-Susp.-Rims

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

3 crap tow vehicles later you could have probably bought 1 reliable tow vehicle for all the BS you have dealt with to get to this point.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

They make plug and play adapters to convert the crank signal.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Reluctor wheels can be replaced. Summit sells them. A shop will have to press off and on. The convertor boxes I've seen are for 58x to 24x reluctor wheels and cost way more then to just do the wheel swap.

Another 5.3 issue has been collapse lifters. I've seen more 5.3's being sold because of collapse lifters in my area. I don't know why ppl are junking engines because of lifters.

LS2 are 24x. Any 6.0 liter 05 and above are 58x. But it's always better to check the engine out 1st if you can. IIRC Black is 24x, grey is 58x.

If you do swap the wheel make sure you get the correct crank sensor as well.

If you do find a 6.0 litter between 99-04 yrs you can use it too, just need to deal with the reluctor wheel. If it's pre-99 you'll need a LS crank, the pre-99 LQ4's had LT1 cranks.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

thanks Guys for excellent advice as usual

as I expected the Saab did in fact have a collapsed lifter on cylinder 1 . I've ordered the DOD delete kit w/ a smallish cam 212/218 .600"/.600" 114 now I'm reconsidering in favor for a stock or or maybe a LS9 cam just to get her up and running on all 8 . will the LS9 car cam not be a good choice since the Saab is a heavey truck compared to the liter cars this cam is found in?

my friends have burst my bubble on the Saab being a tow vehical (most of these Guy's tow w/ 2500 series and bigger) they say it's to lite at 4650LBs to tow a 3K LB boat the 3K LB includes the trailer. they say the brakes on the Saab 13" front rotors and rear discs. won't be enought stopping power?

the SAAB same as trailblazer has a 6100LB tow capacity
    so now I'm feeling kinda foolish and am a little confused.

edit: they say I will be pulled over by cops for a overload tow.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I think your friends are silly. A trailblazer should be able to tow a 3,000 boat/trailer no problem. I don't know how the cops are in GA... but in WI you wouldn't get pulled over for towing a 3klbs boat with a trailblazer.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

update completed AFM lifter replacement basiclley shes stock and purring like a kitten.

been cruising around backyard and once around block.
    First observation the trans shifts very hard from 1st to 2nd also 2nd to 3rd

I actually grabbed the driveshaft and was able to twist it maybe because the U-jionts are worn out? Driveshaft should not be able to move/twist correct even when wheels have no weight on them. Worn driveshaft will cause jerking when shifting?

Completed the air bag to conventional spring and new shocks the 97x is up there

Havn’t mearsured yet but estimate receivers ball around 22” way more than the van.

97x feels stronge when accelerating if I drop trans fuild pan will a shift kit be identified?
    thanks

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Your truck is more than adequate for towing a 3,000 lb boat.
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Thread Information