Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

I have a question about HVAC?

I have a question about HVAC? Can I put this in the same thread? We had a guy come out and put some freon in and the heat was crazy hot for a few days. We could feel the heat in the wall and my in law said it was cause the use a 90 degree pipe instead of a bend. The unit makes some noise but was told it was normal. I think there maybe a leak. I went into the attic and made sure the ducting was setup a little better and used hvac type to tape up some areas I thought werent good. I was told when installed it was intentionally low on freon because of the 90 degree pipes would cause to much pressure.
    Guess I should have another guy out to test freon level and see if there is a leak. The last tech put in freon based on temp and how many pounds should be in. Would it help to put extra insulation around the ducting in the attic?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I take it you are talking about a heat pump with your airhandler(furnace) in the attic, with the copper refrigerant lines being the hot pipes you are talking about? If so, then the larger of the two pipes will become warm, however it should be covered with armaflex - insulation. If is hot enough to feel through the wall, something is not right. There are many factors that play into a properly setup system - ie. piping length, the total amount of rise in the the piping, size of your system, ect. My suggestion would be to have a reputable company send someone out to inspect your system and advise you as to the problem. As for the insulating the ductwork, if your attic is not heated, it would be more efficient to insulate the duct.
    If you weren't so far away, I would look at it for you. If you have any other questions feel free to send me a pm.
    Last edited by Knight; 02-03-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

We had a guy out here and said we were low based on size of unit,temp and pounds of freon in system. He added 2lbs and for a couple of days it was hotter in the house but we felt the wall where the copper pipes ran and to me it felt warmer than normal. All copper pipes I see are covered. It just doesnt seem as hot compared to the first few days he installed freon. So I assume I have a leak or something else and will have to try and have someone that wont screw me look at it. The ducting in the attic is insulated but didnt know if I added more would it really help?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Depending on the value of the insulation on your ductwork, it may not be of any value to add to it. As for the piping, as the temps drop outside the larger of the two pipes will become cooler. When the temps become warmer, the pipe will become warmer. I don't know what the weather has been like there, but that could be one factor. I wouldn't rule out a leak either though. Freon should not need to be added unless you have a leak, or the system was not setup properly at installation. Having sharp bends in the piping will cause a higher pressure, but most manufacturers have guidelines as to the expected pressures in those situations, as sometimes it cannot be avoided. Unless the system was really installed improperly, your situation should be able to be remedied.

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

I was told maybe they didnt put in the proper amount of freon from the get go because of the bends in the pipe and the pressure that might occur. We have been 34 high 24 low as far as temp. Will just have to take the plunge and trust soemone to look at it and not say its screwed to get money out of me. Thanks for the info.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

No problem. I hope things work out without too much hassle.

Thread Information