sunset orange
    2001 SS VERT

I got some weird crap happening in my garage, I need your help.

Long story short just built a house and moved in a few weeks back. Got Sears to install two garage door openers last week. I went out the other day to use the keypad outside the garage and nothing happened so I grabbed the remote out of the outside van and pressed to find out it doesnt work so I got the other 3 from inside the house and still nothing. Ok it gets stranger. I go and press my remote to my SS that's sitting in the garage and wham nothing happens so I get the remote to the van sitting outside my garage and nothing happens there either. I try to reprogram the keypad and remotes and it all looks like it worked but still nothing. I move the SS and the van down the street and the remotes to the cars work again but when I get the cars to the house they stop. Hope someone can figure this one out for me lol.
    Thanks,
    Matt
    2001 SOM SS Vert 1 of 37 verts with a 6 speed. Kook LT's with cats, fast 90mm ported intake, Nick Williams 90mm TB, AFR 205's and so on. Tuning/installs done by Williams Performance.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Magnetic anomally? Ghosts in the machine? Stars in the wrong alignment? IDK, hard to tell.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

definitely sounds like some kind of electrical interference to me. Anything odd around the house at all? Other new builds nearby where people would be working? I ran into this years ago with my garage door voluntarily raising whenever it felt like it. It ended up being due to some construction nearby. After they finished up it never happened again.

sunset orange
    2001 SS VERT

Their building about 5 house down on both sides but thats close as they have been.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the construction that was messing with my stuff was probably .25 to .5 miles away. After they finished up everything went back to normal. It sounds like interference to me. I'm pretty sure they make a scanner that'll detect that kinda thing. Not positive but seems like I read about it somewhere several years ago.

Old: 00 WS6, 02 Z06, 79TA
    11 F350 CC 6.7L

Yeah it sounds like maybe something else is using the same frequencies that your remotes use. Still weird though. You would think they would work better when they're close to your house since the signal would be strongest. Maybe your sensors are messed up that detect when something is under the door. Have you tried messing with them? I couldnt get my garage to close once and it was driving me freakin crazy.....couples leaves went in front of the sensor!

Red
    2001 ws6

ghosts

Catfish for Breakfast Bobby97SS's Avatar

white
    97 SS

My 12 yo garage door opener works perfecly evey time I use it but he bitches about it if its raining.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Did I read that right where you said the KEYLESS to your vehicles arent working close to the house? Or are you referring to the garage remotes still? Either way, it sounds like the problem is EMI(electro-magnetic-interferance)... one is just more severe of a problem than the other.

Are they working on any electrical lines? Using any equipment that would draw a lot of power? Running generators? Really crappy looking(old) heavy machinery?

Also... do you hear any static in your radios in the area it doesnt work? AM and/or FM? If you were lucky, you could carry a radio with you, and use the static to hot/cold the location of the interferance. It might not be severe enough to cause audible static however... it wouldnt take much to scramble the freq on your door opener enough not to work.

Are there any power lines that run closer to your garage then the place where they work right? If there is, take a look at it and see if any of the insulation is damaged looking. (don't try to climb a pole or anything dumb like that, just look) If it is, then call your power company, because that needs to be fixed like ASAP. High levels of EMI are banned by the FCC ... who/whatever is causing it could get fined.

Why do I know so much about this you ask? Once upon a time I made a EMI generator that took out the radios on my entire block.... for a science project. It was awesome!

sunset orange
    2001 SS VERT

You read right both keyless remotes and garage door openers don't work. Now the keypad in the garage as you come into it opens both doors just not the keypad outside the garage. I'll try the radio thing and see if I pick up any interference. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    Did I read that right where you said the KEYLESS to your vehicles arent working close to the house? Or are you referring to the garage remotes still? Either way, it sounds like the problem is EMI(electro-magnetic-interferance)... one is just more severe of a problem than the other.

Are they working on any electrical lines? Using any equipment that would draw a lot of power? Running generators? Really crappy looking(old) heavy machinery?

Also... do you hear any static in your radios in the area it doesnt work? AM and/or FM? If you were lucky, you could carry a radio with you, and use the static to hot/cold the location of the interferance. It might not be severe enough to cause audible static however... it wouldnt take much to scramble the freq on your door opener enough not to work.

Are there any power lines that run closer to your garage then the place where they work right? If there is, take a look at it and see if any of the insulation is damaged looking. (don't try to climb a pole or anything dumb like that, just look) If it is, then call your power company, because that needs to be fixed like ASAP. High levels of EMI are banned by the FCC ... who/whatever is causing it could get fined.

Why do I know so much about this you ask? Once upon a time I made a EMI generator that took out the radios on my entire block.... for a science project. It was awesome!

red
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

got to be something on the same frequency. i saw on tv a couple years ago where people would get a few different garage door openers and go through neigborhoods trying them out going down the street to see which doors would open and break into the houses. those garage door openers only have about 15-20 different frequencies so it is easy to get your to open someone elses or to have yours interfered with

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

Do you live anywhere near a military base? The military owns the frequencies that garage door opens work on. The military (in the past) never used them much, but in recent years some bases have started using them or using them more frequently. I read an article not long ago that said that the military was going to start using the frequencies more often and that it would have an effect on garage door openers.

Marc

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby97SS View Post
    My 12 yo garage door opener works perfecly evey time I use it but he bitches about it if its raining.
    thats a good one

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Construction worker walkie talkies use the same frequency.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby97SS View Post
    lol i dont think to many people caught that

Thread Information