Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I finally learned how to drive a stick!

my friend Edgar came over with his '02 GT Mustang, and I asked him if he could teach me how to drive stick. I drove it around the neighborhood, and got the feel for it. It's way different than I thought! it was a way different experience than driving an auto, that's for sure. I only stalled the car like, 4 times. hahaha, it was my first time even attempting to drive a stick, but after 15 minutes I could drive it smooth. getting into 1st gear is the hardest part for sure, after that is easy. We went to a crazy college costume party after, so I'm kinda buzzed right now, so sorry if I rambled too much. haha

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet! the only part i hate about stick is the way it takes off.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

ya, I made the car shudder like crazy at first. I was letting go of the clutch too fast, but after I figured it out I got some clean shifts in.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    ya, I made the car shudder like crazy at first. I was letting go of the clutch too fast, but after I figured it out I got some clean shifts in.
    if only it wouldnt shudder like that when starting out.... i mean, you can avoid it by giving it more gas but then it sounds like ur revvin it real high. i like me an auto for everyday, however, driving stick once in a while is fun

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

ya, after he let me drive his I let him drive mine. He was all stoked because he wants an LS1 but couldn't afford one. then I took over and showed him what was up. needless to say, LS1s have more power, and for the first time I drove like a teenager. I floored it, trying to show off to my friend, and it downshifted, with wet tires. needless to say, my back end swung out about 3 feet to the left. I corrected it really fast luckily, and ended up a lane to my right. scared the shit outta me. I've only done that two other times. I drove safe after that. haha

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

my friend Edgar came over with his '02 GT Mustang, and I asked him if he could teach me how to drive stick. I drove it around the neighborhood, and got the feel for it. It's way different than I thought! it was a way different experience than driving an auto, that's for sure. I only stalled the car like, 4 times. hahaha, it was my first time even attempting to drive a stick, but after 15 minutes I could drive it smooth. getting into 1st gear is the hardest part for sure, after that is easy. We went to a crazy college costume party after, so I'm kinda buzzed right now, so sorry if I rambled too much. haha
    At least you practiced on a Ford. What do you mean when you say first was the hardest to get into?

Red
    2001 ws6

taking off from first i think he means....(the shuttering, stalling, etc.) once he got going shifting gears is ez

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    At least you practiced on a Ford. What do you mean when you say first was the hardest to get into?
    He means because you have to get the clutch out and throttle in more precisely to get it from neutral to first... when the car is moving its easier to go 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Yea first is the hardest gear but I kinda like the feel for it tho

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

I sure wish I could learn to drive 1......
    '04 gto M6 slp ceramic coated headers,B&m sport shifter,harrop cover,3.5"aluminum BMR driveshaft, BMR axle stubs, BMR Half shafts, BMR SFC's, loudmouth2 exaust,90mm FAST T/B,Magancharger(high helix upgrade)......other misc. suspension,Cross drilled, slotted rotors. Meth Kit, spraying @ 3psi and up

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    if only it wouldnt shudder like that when starting out.... i mean, you can avoid it by giving it more gas but then it sounds like ur revvin it real high. i like me an auto for everyday, however, driving stick once in a while is fun
    you can start out and not shudder, i do it everytime. if you are giving it more gas and its revving high but you're not going anywhere, you are burning the shit out of that clutch. my guess is that your skills need a lot of work, you are only 16 yet it takes a lot of practice. find a nice clunker that it doesnt matter if you ruin it.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

the key to first gear is all in the feel, once you understand what the clutch is doing and the rpms are doing and you can feel it engage you can take off so smoothly it can feel like an automatic. some cars and trucks i can start off with no gas if its on flat pavement or downhill. my jeep i dont need to give it any gas in either 1st or reverse and she'll roll to a good 5 mph

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    taking off from first i think he means....(the shuttering, stalling, etc.) once he got going shifting gears is ez
    yep, that's exactly what I meant. I got it to take off without shuttering a few times. I was all proud of myself

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

yep, that's exactly what I meant. I got it to take off without shuttering a few times. I was all proud of myself
    if you did that without the rpms screaming, you started off in 1st properly. good job, that particular car isn't an easy one to learn on either. the mustang clutches are pretty heavy for stock and its a cable actuated clutch.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

ya, my friend said that he heard the Mustang shifters suck too, he's thinking about changing it out. I heard the Pro 5.0 ones are good?

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

ya, my friend said that he heard the Mustang shifters suck too, he's thinking about changing it out. I heard the Pro 5.0 ones are good?
    i recommend either pro 5.0 or the one i have, the steeda tri-ax. both are great products. A new shifter is one of the best mods you can do on a mustang. its probably one of my favorite things i did to my car

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Ok, well thats good dude.

Now, next step.

Keep your RPMS even at your peak torque, and release the clutch, while not letting the tires break free, or the RPMS drop.

That ones a little bit harder

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

I taught my buddy how to drive stick on my yaris.

Then there was this foul smell, oh yeah that would be burned Clutch. Haha. After 30 minutes he got the hand of it

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    the key to first gear is all in the feel, once you understand what the clutch is doing and the rpms are doing and you can feel it engage you can take off so smoothly it can feel like an automatic. some cars and trucks i can start off with no gas if its on flat pavement or downhill. my jeep i dont need to give it any gas in either 1st or reverse and she'll roll to a good 5 mph
    relaly? ive never seen that b4... im going to have my gf try it in her eclipse, if so, that is hella cool
    Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    you can start out and not shudder, i do it everytime. if you are giving it more gas and its revving high but you're not going anywhere, you are burning the shit out of that clutch. my guess is that your skills need a lot of work, you are only 16 yet it takes a lot of practice. find a nice clunker that it doesnt matter if you ruin it.
    yea i definitely need to work on my skills, ive only driven my gf's eclipse a couple times.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I thought mustangs had good shifters? The have cable cluthes, (isnt that better then hydrolic? (SP?) Everyone I know that has a mustang uses steeda cables

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information