Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I crossed the line...

While out in the garage wrenching on the Trans Am this weekend, my brother came up to change the oil in his Jeep. He was looking over the new K-member and brakes and asked me how much I had spent on mods. I never really thought about it, but recall that I had posted a thread on here as a new member inquiring (in a polite manner) what people had invested into their cars.

My original plan for the car was to keep it all stock and enjoy it as is. However, two things then happened that trashed this plan: 1) I joined this site and quickly learned of all the things that can be done to improve our cars; and 2) I went to the dragstrip in 2009 and ventured down the track for the very first time. The combination of these factors was the start of a long term build that is still a work in progress.

Getting back to my brother's question, I got out my phone and started adding up the purchases as I listed them off in the order they were installed... lid, catback, subframe connectors, lower control arms, panhard bar, 12 bolt, LT's...and so on. I was a bit shocked to find that I had officially crossed the line with the latest round of goodies and that the total cost to mod our car now exceeds its purchase price back in 2008.

I think back over all the projects and installs during the past 4 years and I have absolutely zero regrets. Through buying an LS1 equipped vehicle I became a member of this site and, in addition to learning a great deal about our cars, have made lots of new friends, met many members in person, and have generally just enjoyed the whole automotive hobby a lot more since I can share in it with everyone on here. I guess that crossing the line can sometimes be a good thing...

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Like most lines it's imaginary. You spent money on something you enjoy and got a lot back from(hopefully) as far as good times and some good relationships go. It's hard to price something like that.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 03-06-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

^^^
    So very true

Jeff I knew I wasn't keeping this one stock.......call it pent up frustration for all the years I couldn't afford one or one thing or another. So I don't regret anything I do with my car. I know silly but it's one of the things I love to do.

I haven't crossed the line that you point out (mods passing the cost of the vehicle) but I'm half way there.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    While out in the garage wrenching on the Trans Am this weekend, my brother came up to change the oil in his Jeep. He was looking over the new K-member and brakes and asked me how much I had spent on mods. I never really thought about it, but recall that I had posted a thread on here as a new member inquiring (in a polite manner) what people had invested into their cars.

My original plan for the car was to keep it all stock and enjoy it as is. However, two things then happened that trashed this plan: 1) I joined this site and quickly learned of all the things that can be done to improve our cars; and 2) I went to the dragstrip in 2009 and ventured down the track for the very first time. The combination of these factors was the start of a long term build that is still a work in progress.

Getting back to my brother's question, I got out my phone and started adding up the purchases as I listed them off in the order they were installed... lid, catback, subframe connectors, lower control arms, panhard bar, 12 bolt, LT's...and so on. I was a bit shocked to find that I had officially crossed the line with the latest round of goodies and that the total cost to mod our car now exceeds its purchase price back in 2008.

I think back over all the projects and installs during the past 4 years and I have absolutely zero regrets. Through buying an LS1 equipped vehicle I became a member of this site and, in addition to learning a great deal about our cars, have made lots of new friends, met many members in person, and have generally just enjoyed the whole automotive hobby a lot more since I can share in it with everyone on here. I guess that crossing the line can sometimes be a good thing...
    How good of a deal did you get on the car?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Not coming close to that line with the TBSS....I hope.

Crossed over it with the WS.6 though. And I bought the damn thing for $21,300.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

And you haven't even touched the engine yet!

Lines like that are meant to be crossed. I crossed it and will keep on going as far as I can.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy:2753406
    Like most lines it's imaginary. You spent money on something you enjoy and got a lot back from(hopefully) as far as good times and some good relationships go. It's hard to price something like that.
    Ditto that.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post

Well said.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

My wife asked me the other day when I have everything done to my TA what will I do?

I and Silly woman you know I'll be getting another one

and that's when the started.....

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

My girl asked me the other day when we are opening up our used car lot when she looked outside and realized I have 4 vehicles and she now has two.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Jeff, I have just over what I paid for my car into it. And I still keep buying and buying.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Cars... you can never have too many.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post

heartwarming post......maybe we can get GTP to take a shower with you........again.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Nah, there's no line, when you're making it better, faster, strickly yours.

I paid $1800.00 for my z34 when I got it 8-9 years ago..

Multiply that by @ least 10, and you'd be getting pretty warm on the figure spent on my car that still does'nt move..

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    And you haven't even touched the engine yet!

Lines like that are meant to be crossed. I crossed it and will keep on going as far as I can.
    First....you got a smokin' deal on your car. Second.....you are right. I want him to do a 383 with heads/cam. Then maybe next year some FI. Its his money, not mine.....so why not dream big?

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    heartwarming post......maybe we can get GTP to take a shower with you........again.
    That is god damn funny.

Gray/ White

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    You're fantasies about me just get more and more disturbing

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Can't limit yourself when it comes to cars. You get curious, begin to learn how to make them faster, whether pricey or on the cheap, and shit just snowballs from there.

Gray/ White

So buy headers Rich

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat:2753610
    Can't limit yourself when it comes to cars. You get curious, begin to learn how to make them faster, whether pricey or on the cheap, and shit just snowballs from there.
    ^^Yup!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information