Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How much of mark up are their on high end sunglass

Summer is here and all four of my Fossil glasses are scratched to hell and back. When I moved to a different dorm some how they ended up in the wrong box. I have always been a fan of Oakley glasses just never a fan of the price. At a little shop in the mall I found some I liked for $180 but the twist comes in when a friend of mine pulls out the same glasses out of his pocket (same series but different color) and claims he purchased these from an Ebay store for a little over $60, new with tags and everything. I never thought of ebay as a place to get real Oakleys but they looked legit to me. But is their that much of a mark up on Oakley and other high end sunglasses? I mean the guy on Ebay had to make some money off the deal so in the end that means the brick and mortor dealers add what a 150% mark up?

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Buy them on ebay, I just bought a brand new pair of Oakley Juliet Plasma with Polarized Ice lenses. Paid $205 shipped for them. They were selling them at the mall, sporting goods outlets, and just about everywhere I looked for $330 + tax.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Buy the $10 lookalikes from the cart in the mall courtyard. You'll break/lose/scratch them anyway.

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Buy the $10 lookalikes from the cart in the mall courtyard. You'll break/lose/scratch them anyway.
    i found a pair i loved... 2 for 25... great but i broke them both... bought a pair of 130 ray bans... where'd they go? back to cheap ones

White and Orange
    1997 Z/28

it always seems like you'll fuck or loose the exspensive pair. but never the cheap pair.

1978 Corvette

I'll bet they don't cost more than $5.00 to manufacture.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

People love Oakleys, and they are nice. But I dont understand why people pay what they do on them. Speaking for myself sunglasses are one of those things that are nice to have when its sunny out but you obviously dont wear them constantly. This means I put them down and lose them, drop them, step on them, sit on them, they fall off my head into the ocean/lake, I leave them at restaurants etc. For me to spend 205 bucks on them would be me just throwing the money away. They are jus plastic and probably cost nothing to make. I have to make a concentrated effort to maintain posession and condition of my prescription eye glasses and I need these to read and drive! lol

Maybe I'm jus particularly bad with glasses? lol

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

I like my maui jim or revo.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Cerwin Vega Fan View Post
    Summer is here and all four of my Fossil glasses are scratched to hell and back. When I moved to a different dorm some how they ended up in the wrong box. I have always been a fan of Oakley glasses just never a fan of the price. At a little shop in the mall I found some I liked for $180 but the twist comes in when a friend of mine pulls out the same glasses out of his pocket (same series but different color) and claims he purchased these from an Ebay store for a little over $60, new with tags and everything. I never thought of ebay as a place to get real Oakleys but they looked legit to me. But is their that much of a mark up on Oakley and other high end sunglasses? I mean the guy on Ebay had to make some money off the deal so in the end that means the brick and mortor dealers add what a 150% mark up?
    thanks for the idea...I like Bolle Swishers but I lost the last pair and $100 is too much for glasses. But $60 off e-bay...i can swing that

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post

That makes two of us... I just found a pair of oakleys i lost 2 years ago. lol

I want some from either the racing jacket or stright jacket series and their is no way I would pay the $200 dealer prices. They're still $120+ on ebay.

1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

I own a pair of Oakleys and 2 pairs of Maui Jims. I could have bought an older used motorcycle with what I've spent on sunglasses last year!

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

The local government gives you a gift catalog when you hit twenty years and I picked a pair of Maui Jim's out of it.

Best free glasses I ever got!!!

Over $200 in stores, but there is no way those things cost more than fifteen bucks to make. Counting middleman and all, I'd say the retail price is at least twice what is needed to break even.

Nuclear Cat Will End All LS1Powerhouse's Avatar
    Edwardsville, IL (So. IL Univ. of Edwardsville)

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

Oakley Half Jackets FTW!!! I've had mine for about two years and they're still in great shape and I wear them daily (I also play baseball in them).. The advantage of these are if you DO scratch the lens to piss you can just buy a new set (30 for the standards) and pop them in.. Most Oakley's do have the changeable lenses and you can get a set for whatever you're doing.. I have 6 styles all with their own purpose.. Another thing is some of the Sunglasses they sell come with atleast a year warranty.. So really for the price you have a set of sunglasses that will last you for awhile. My dad has the Flak Jackets and they're pretty sweet too.

I highly recommend them.

Plus they're made of a very strong urithane that will break apart (the part that goes over your ears will separate from the part that goes around the front of your face) if you apply to much pressure, but they can be snapped right back in. All lenses also come with a Ballistic rating.
    Last edited by LS1Powerhouse; 04-08-2008 at 10:02 AM.

murdered out 06 z06

im rocking out these old cop sunglasses, $20

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    People love Oakleys, and they are nice. But I dont understand why people pay what they do on them. Speaking for myself sunglasses are one of those things that are nice to have when its sunny out but you obviously dont wear them constantly. This means I put them down and lose them, drop them, step on them, sit on them, they fall off my head into the ocean/lake, I leave them at restaurants etc. For me to spend 205 bucks on them would be me just throwing the money away. They are jus plastic and probably cost nothing to make. I have to make a concentrated effort to maintain posession and condition of my prescription eye glasses and I need these to read and drive! lol

Same reason why 60-70yo retirees buy Vettes and Vipers...

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by issues View Post
    im rocking out these old cop sunglasses, $20
    Click for full size
    Timeless!!!

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

right now im rocking a pair of D&G that were from ebay for like 100$. ebay isnt bad.
    my last pair were 450 in the sunglass hut

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

I wear oakley Half Jacket's Great glasses, on my second set of lenses but I love them. Cost more so I take better care of them.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I wear Oakley half jackets. 180 bucks, bronze frame, polarized lenses. I love them. Completely.

The pair I was looking at of Maui Jim's that I absolutely loved where 310 dollars. They were heavy as hell and had real glass lenses/polarized.

I put my max price at 180, Half jackets all the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information