Silver
    2002 Trans AM

How messed up is this…..Stupid Town LAW.

My next-door neighbor got hurt on the job. He has been out of work for more than a month and seems like he will be out for another 3-6 months. He pretty much has a job that does not cover disabilities. He uses his own Work Van and was forced to surrender his plates and take it of insurance, until he gets better. Insurance is very high in NY and his having no job makes things worse.

Now couple of day ago Housing Authorities came to visit him. They noticed his Van in the back yard of his own Property with out Plates. They told him he has 10 Days to get plates or get rid of it.

How messed up is that? In my town, you are not allowed to have a car with out plates ON-YOUR-OWN-PROPERTY. In NY if you don’t have insurance on a car, then you must surrender the plates. My father even tried to help him out by letting him to park the Van in his garage, but the van is too high up and does not fit.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

dude, that's utter shit. i'm sure he can appeal it due to his situation. Fucking bureaucrats

That law was probably passed to keep someone from having alot of junked up (ie not registered) cars on someone's property. I understand the idea behind the law, still sux for your buddy.

Black
    2000 Trans am

I'm in NY as well and have deffinatly heard of this law before. Complete Bull IMHO I've have car sitting right out front in the driveway for years w/o plates on it.

You'll usually only have issues if your neighbors decide to throw a fit about it. I'd have him call into whatever office controls that and explain the situation, hopefully they'll work with him.

Senior Member FuxOnTheFirstDate's Avatar

Shit
    If my neighbors did that, their homes would be no more.

Crazy Bitch

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS Camaro

We have this same crap in our town. My husband has a car trailer, so we just put whatever won't fit in the garage and doesn't have tags at the time(he likes his junk cars) on the trailer. The trailer is tagged though. He brought home a '63 Nova station wagon on a Sunday night and by Tuesday, we had a letter from the town. He might check though, because we can get a permit for 6 months, you just have to say you are actively working on the vehicle. Worth looking into, they don't know if it runs or not....

Thread Information