Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

House insulation ?

Just moved into my house last year and was recently in the attic. I noticed I had some flat spots and was gonna have a company come add some. I also dont have any in the garage. While the garage doesnt have anything above it , I was wondering if it would help much. The company suggested that I should do a r19. Could I get away with r11. Is something better than nothing?
    I was gonna get some at lowes but wanted the same kind of insulation.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

something is definitly better than nothing!!!

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Be careful about the yellow fluffy stuff. It looks so comfortable... yet soon you will realize the error in your ways when your skin stings and your lungs burn.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Be careful about the yellow fluffy stuff. It looks so comfortable... yet soon you will realize the error in your ways when your skin stings and your lungs burn.
    hey man, this isn't the STD forum...you might wanna edit your post before everyone figures out you have a VD

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    hey man, this isn't the STD forum...you might wanna edit your post before everyone figures out you have a VD
    Aw shit, had two browser windows open, mixed up the quick reply boxes

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by redls1 View Post
    Just moved into my house last year and was recently in the attic. I noticed I had some flat spots and was gonna have a company come add some. I also dont have any in the garage. While the garage doesnt have anything above it , I was wondering if it would help much. The company suggested that I should do a r19. Could I get away with r11. Is something better than nothing?
    I was gonna get some at lowes but wanted the same kind of insulation.
    something is always better than nothin . . .
    but i would go with blown cellulose . . . better r-value per inch and is cheaper. and you can just blow it in on top of your existing. code is usually about r-33 in the ceiling and r-13 in the walls. but being above your garage, its not that big of a deal. is your garage heated or are you just wanting to keep the radiated heat in? what kind of company are you havin look at this? Ceiling insulation is an easy diy task if your attic has plenty of room.
    Last edited by GULLETT17; 02-19-2008 at 12:38 PM.

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    something is always better than nothin . . .
    but i would go with blown cellulose . . . better r-value per inch and is cheaper. and you can just blow it in on top of your existing. code is usually about r-33 in the ceiling and r-13 in the walls. but being above your garage, its not that big of a deal. is your garage heated or are you just wanting to keep the radiated heat in? what kind of company are you havin look at this? Ceiling insulation is an easy diy task if your attic has plenty of room.
    I live in a newer neighbor hood and am having the original company come look at it. I was going to do it myself. The stuff that is currently up there is just the white blow in stuff. I was told that if I blow in the cellulose from lowes its heavier and will take twice as much because it will push the other stuff down.
    My garage isnt heated but figure if I could afford to do it , it might help keep the garage warmer/cooler and the inside wall is ofcourse attache to the house.My water heater is in the garage in an alcove also. I put wrap around that. Just trying to save in the long run as much as possible. Have done more to this house than any of the other 3 I have.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

i wanna get a house so bad!

Black
    99 SS

the white stuff is wool, my last job i used to have to blow insulation sometimes, you can get whatever 'R' value you want buy how much insulation you blow in there

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what's the costs like on putting insulation in a house? I need to do the stuff in my crawl space at some point. Are we talking hundreds or thousands?

Black
    99 SS

hundreds if you do it your self, thousand prolly if you higher someone else to do it, but you can use it as a tax wright off also, how big is the space u want to insulate?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well, I'd have to figure the square footage on the lower level. Probably in the 1800-2000 sq ft range for the lower level. I've done insulation with my dad 25 years ago. I'll pay to have it done. I still don't think I have all that shit off of me.

Black
    99 SS

god I hate blowing that shit, its the worst job I have ever had

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I never did that kind, I just did the yellow shit wtih my dad many years ago. Still have a memory of it though if that tells you how much I hated it. Of course dad let me wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt to teach me a lesson.........lesson learned.

Black
    99 SS

haha, I would of killed him if he didnt tell me to wear long pants or long sleeves

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

I was quoted .33 a sq ft. So say an 18x18 room they said for an r19 value was $120. I was gonna do that in the garage and then a little extra in the attic.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by redls1 View Post
    I was quoted .33 a sq ft. So say an 18x18 room they said for an r19 value was $120. I was gonna do that in the garage and then a little extra in the attic.
    that was spray in?

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Blown in , the white stuff. My father in law told me about some stuff you spray in. You spray the upper roof with a coating that is supposed to decrease temps by like 20 degrees. That he said is like 3000.00. I also thought about adding a whole house fan next year. Another thing I learned as asked about on here is this. Instead of keeping your system on auto all the time keep it on the on position. It uses about the same electricity as a 100 watt light bulb. By keeping flow through the ducts it keeps the air at a more ambient temperature thus keeping the compressor from cycling more. I havent really noticed a difference either way but keep it on the on position. I use 3m air filters and change them about every 3 weeks.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I never did that kind, I just did the yellow shit wtih my dad many years ago. Still have a memory of it though if that tells you how much I hated it. Of course dad let me wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt to teach me a lesson.........lesson learned.
    that's what I was talking about... not some STD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information