Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    YOW Pookie's gone postal! Motrv8d Steve's Avatar

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Home theater guys: what's a good subwoofer for around $500 or so?

I need to get one tonight b/c I've got some stereo installers coming tomorrow to hook that in plus other stuff to finish our installation. I've got a Tweeters and Circuit City within close driving distance. I dunno does Costco sell one? I already have the surround sound speakers, I just need the sub.

So what's a good one for around $400-600?

thanks in advance,
    Steve
    1998 Black Z28 Pro 5.0 shifter, Borla Catback, DirectFlo Lid, !CAGS

Black & Brilliant Silver
    1999&1997 SL600 6.0 V12's

i got a cerwin vega 12" 400watt rms built in amp, its enough to shake my neighbors windows. 350bucks. i use it for music, and action flicks.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by D!ck
    i got a cerwin vega 12" 400watt rms built in amp, its enough to shake my neighbors windows. 350bucks. i use it for music, and action flicks.
    cool where'd you buy it?

Black & Brilliant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Motrv8d Steve
    cool where'd you buy it?
    a place in between me and tulsa called REX electronics. it hits to hard, so ya

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by D!ck
    a place in between me and tulsa called REX electronics. it hits to hard, so ya
    say what?

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I got the same sub at bestbuy for $50! It was sitting by itself not hooked up and not in a box. I asked how much they wanted for it and seeing it didn't have a cord or wasn't in a box he said how's 50 sound? Cerwin Vegga rocks!

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

oh yeah, I gotta Best Buy nearby also. forgot about them. mebbe they have an open box special like that, those are cool to run into once in a while.

Black & Brilliant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am
    I got the same sub at bestbuy for $50! It was sitting by itself not hooked up and not in a box. I asked how much they wanted for it and seeing it didn't have a cord or wasn't in a box he said how's 50 sound? Cerwin Vegga rocks!
    lets see a pic of that 50 dollar sub.

you probly got a car sub, a really cheap car sub. maybe a free air series or something. that is really cheap. if it work good its gettin the job done i guess.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

well i can testify that I've gotten similar cheap deals when something is not even in it's original carton or even has no manual. sometimes demos. They just want to get rid of it sometimes...

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am
    lets see a pic of that 50 dollar sub.

you probly got a car sub, a really cheap car sub. maybe a free air series or something. that is really cheap. if it work good its gettin the job done i guess.
    It's a home theater sub that sits on the floor with buit in amp. It's a good sub just the dummies at best buy didn't know why it was sitting there so they sold it cheap. You gotta like the highscool employee's that don't give a rip if they give stuff away!

Hugger Orange
    1969 Camaro

The manager at best buy just sold me an entire Klipsch set up but said when it comes to subs get the Sony 12" with the 400 watt built in amp. Only cost 215 and it rocks as good as all the 500 dollar ones.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by cham
    The manager at best buy just sold me an entire Klipsch set up but said when it comes to subs get the Sony 12" with the 400 watt built in amp. Only cost 215 and it rocks as good as all the 500 dollar ones.
    if only I had waited another 1/2 hour before I left work I would have read your message. sounds like a killer deal...

As it turns out I got a Klipsch 12 inch 650 watt that absolutely shook the store. On sale for $515. Expensive enough I guess but looks really cool and goes with our stuff.
    So what's the model NO. on that Sony bad boy? maybe I'll take this one back... I tried googling Sony subwoofers and without the model no. it will take a while to find the one you're talking about.

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Mortrv8d are you getting a custom theater with projector, lighting, and seating done or are just getting something basic installed?

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight
    Mortrv8d are you getting a custom theater with projector, lighting, and seating done or are just getting something basic installed?
    Well I already have two main speakers in front of me, two ceiling speakers above/slightly behind me and a center speaker, all Bang & Olufsen. The only thing missing from the puzzle was the subwoofer. BTW, we have a Lutron lighting system also. Who said anything about a projector?

NBM
    2000 Vette

You should've gone with SVS, I think they make some of the best subs out there now. There lower end would still be in your budget, and probably better than what you got. They don't sell thru retailers, only direct. Here is a link to one in your price range.

TJ

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-isd1.cfm

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by Motrv8d Steve
    Well I already have two main speakers in front of me, two ceiling speakers above/slightly behind me and a center speaker, all Bang & Olufsen. The only thing missing from the puzzle was the subwoofer. BTW, we have a Lutron lighting system also. Who said anything about a projector?
    Well what size tv and what kind and brand is it, and what type of reciever/ amp combo are you going with and what type of surge filter/protector will you be using If you don't have one Ill post a link to a model that awesome that there closing out real cheap.
    Last edited by Murder after Midnight; 03-14-2006 at 04:46 AM.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by cham

Uhhh.... nooo..... Sony subs do NOT rock! Do not listen to him! A $500 Klipsch Sub would destroy a Sony! He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Black
    2002 Maxima

Big second on the SVS. Great equipment. Check out hometheaterforum.com for reviews

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

well I'm happy with my choice (Klipsch 12"). Just hooked it up and ran War of the Worlds on it to test it. The scene where the alien bot thingie jumps up in the air and comes down and smashes a car next to Cruise is amazing with a sub blasting away...

shit, it shakes the house that's good enough for me.

99 WS6 Formula LS1 black
    70 Formula 400 Red

Another vote for Cerwin Vega. I am running a pair of LW12's and a LW10. With 3 subs in 3 corners, people down the street think they are living next to a DisneyLand thrill ride! Pots fall off of countertops, pictures fall off the wall, beer bottles fall off tables, and car alarms go off in the neighbors driveway.

Is that what you mean by "Cerwin Vega rocks"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information