Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Help me finish my garage

It's been 4-5 years since we added a larger garage onto our house. The interior garage walls are concrete block which extend to just over 3 feet in height and are capped with a small ledge. From there, drywall extends to the ceiling, as pictured below:

I am at a loss on how to finish out the block portion of the wall. Initially, I was going to glue foamboard insulation onto the block and then cover it with something that could stand up to some abuse -- what, I do not know. Any suggestions?

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

i don't have any help to offer..but that is a mighty nice garage you have, i hope to have something like that someday

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Poppn View Post
    i don't have any help to offer..but that is a mighty nice garage you have, i hope to have something like that someday

Thank you. It is my never ending project.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

How bout a checkered flag pattern? Would look nice IMO.

yellow
    2004 gto

man... i like it as is..

i cant wait when i have enough saved up for a down payment on a house. importance in order 1. size of land 2. size of house 3. build my own shop

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I hav no suggestions.

But, how about some more pictures and the dimensions? Looks great

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I hav no suggestions.

But, how about some more pictures and the dimensions? Looks great

The garage has three bays -- the first two bays are deep enough for two cars and the third bay is where I do all my service work. If I remember right, it is 36' across and almost 40' deep, including a walkway entrance at the very back.

Since we live in the northeast, I need to insulate the concrete block with something. I have not yet been able to come up with an idea that I really like though. There is radiant heat in the floor, but the garage is on the west end of the house so it gets blasted pretty good in the winter.

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The garage has three bays -- the first two bays are deep enough for two cars and the third bay is where I do all my service work. If I remember right, it is 36' across and almost 40' deep, including a walkway entrance at the very back.

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Since we live in the northeast, I need to insulate the concrete block with something. I have not yet been able to come up with an idea that I really like though. There is radiant heat in the floor, but the garage is on the west end of the house so it gets blasted pretty good in the winter.
    Wow that looks great man...........nice garage

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

That is one gorgeous house. If my house had a garage like that, I dunno if I'd leave it, haha.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    That is one gorgeous house. If my house had a garage like that, I dunno if I'd leave it, haha.

I'd rather be there than most anywhere else.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

why not do it in stone like the outside of the house is, that would look pretty cool. Or you could to stucco. Or you could just build a regular wall there , cap the top with some nice wood and then you would have a small ledge going around to set stuff on. Personally I would do the stone, I think that would look great.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    why not do it in stone like the outside of the house is, that would look pretty cool. Or you could to stucco. Or you could just build a regular wall there , cap the top with some nice wood and then you would have a small ledge going around to set stuff on. Personally I would do the stone, I think that would look great.
    I agree and then paint or tile the floor. Maybe paint the walls a different color. Look for old gas station memorabilia hang it on the wall. If your a race fan put up stuff of the racing you like. Old Coke vending machine that despenses beer?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post

I hope to have some sort of insulation between the block and whatever facing I end up using. I agree that stone would look really cool, but it does not lend itself to future work if I need to alter something, add wiring, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    I agree and then paint or tile the floor. Maybe paint the walls a different color. Look for old gas station memorabilia hang it on the wall. If your a race fan put up stuff of the racing you like. Old Coke vending machine that despenses beer?

That is actually another question I was going to post later. Right now I have one thing hanging on the walls -- a '50s Buick hubcap made into a clock that a friend gave me. I have no wall decorations at all. I am hesitant to paint or epoxy the floor as it does get used -- things get dragged, tools get dropped, and my bad aim causes me to miss my oil drain on occasion.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

if you bring the wall out a bit you could still put stone on that and then have space for insulation in between, then you could cap the top with wood. This way if you ever have to run wire etc, all you have to do is remove the wood cap on top and run you stuff. I do see what you mean though about future work. If you are totally straying from stone then I am thinking extending and using drywall would be the way to go. not as cool though haha.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

I'm remodeling an apartment right now that has walls like that only without the ledge. I am using blue cement screws to fasten 2x2's to the wals then I gonn put some of that pink styrofoam insulation in between the studs and sheetrock it. It had that gross 1/8th inch thick wood paneling glued on before. why couldn't you do something like that and put a shelf or something on top?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Since it is a working garage I am looking for something a little more durable than sheet rock. I already have marks on the existing sheet rock installed above the block. Therefore, a wall covering that can either stand up to contact and abrasions, or be easily repairable without lots of painting, is probably the ticket.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I would stud it out, either the full 3-1/2" for insulation, or lay the 2x's on their side for 1-1/2" of blueboard. Then I'd look into some 1/4" or 3/8" marine grade plywood and then some white beadboard. Then just cap the top with something that will hold up to the conditions (Perhaps synthetic decking?). Itd be expensive as hell though for the materials. As for coating the floor, should've been done a long time ago before you put anything on it. I don't know if there's anything out there that can help you out now or not. We used the rustoleum epoxy garage floor coating (grey) in our new half of the garage. We never touched the floor before we put it on. We used the included cleaner and did every step of the instructions to a T and its still lifting. Granted, it held up well until now (about 5-6 years) and it still looks good, but it still comes up. Now that you've got oil/grease/dirt on top, I don't know if you'll get the bond this stuff requires. Mind you, our 'new' addition on the garage is 20x32, its nothing more than parts storage, tractor storage in winter, and a dog house. We've never done any wrenching in there.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Take 2x4's, build a frame, a mini wall if you will the same height as the blocks. In between the studs either fill it with rolled out insulation, that expanding foam insulation, or w/e you want really. Put plywood over that and paint it. Then put a nice piece of wood on top to cover the stone caps and overhang the new mini wall you built. You could even put some nice molding on if you wanted...

Radiant heat is the one thing my dad regrets not doing when he built his garage. I can say one thing, as high as your ceiling looks in there, it would take quite a bit to heat that much area in a cold pennsylvania winter.

The only real tip I can say is lose that baby boombox you got and get a real system in out there!

Black
    99 SS

so many options to go with on the walls. personally i would not use the foam insulation it does not have the same R value per sq inch and celloulse you would get more out of dense packing the walls if your worried about heat loss when you decide to finish it out

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    I would stud it out, either the full 3-1/2" for insulation, or lay the 2x's on their side for 1-1/2" of blueboard. Then I'd look into some 1/4" or 3/8" marine grade plywood and then some white beadboard. Then just cap the top with something that will hold up to the conditions (Perhaps synthetic decking?). Itd be expensive as hell though for the materials. As for coating the floor, should've been done a long time ago before you put anything on it. I don't know if there's anything out there that can help you out now or not. We used the rustoleum epoxy garage floor coating (grey) in our new half of the garage. We never touched the floor before we put it on. We used the included cleaner and did every step of the instructions to a T and its still lifting. Granted, it held up well until now (about 5-6 years) and it still looks good, but it still comes up. Now that you've got oil/grease/dirt on top, I don't know if you'll get the bond this stuff requires. Mind you, our 'new' addition on the garage is 20x32, its nothing more than parts storage, tractor storage in winter, and a dog house. We've never done any wrenching in there.

yea i was going to say blue board for strength as well or just 2X6 it out and be done with it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information