White
    '10 ZR1

Question Help me choose a 'gator' for work

Well - the footprint at my workplace has grown, and it's going to grow some more. There is now a need to have another mode of transportation, other than my two feet

I'm leaning towards a ~500 - 600 cc Ranger, with a complete enclosure for winter. The unit has to have a box for hauling stuff around - I see that many are rated for ~400 lbs, which is good enough.

I'm not sure if I should even mess around with a diesel since there's a chance that it wouldn't be stored inside all the time.

Do any of you have any experience with gators, Rangers, Can-AMs, etc, etc? The budget is between 10K - 15K.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Are you looking for 2 seats only? New only or are you interested in used? For 10-15 you can def buy new. But you can always get more used, either more options or accessories. Like a plow or snow thrower attachment etc.

I have some experience with ATVs.... not so much UTVs like you are referring to. But they use the same engines in a lot of models. The rotax engines Can Am uses are really good. Rotax makes engines for many vehicles for decades now. Jet skis, ultra lites, snowmobiles, ATVs etc. Like I said I'm not sure about UTVs but in ATVs the rotax engines generally have the most power per CC. My 2012 outlander 500cc makes 42hp(48hp for 2015), compared to the 2012 Honda foreman 500 which produces 30hp, 2012 Polaris sportsman 500 33hp, sportsman 500H.O. 38hp. The outlander 1000 is almost always #1 for power made by utility ATV.

Power aside I don't know too much about UTVs as I said. Can Ams will generally be more expensive than Polaris or Honda or even John Deere. The Can Am defender and Polaris Ranger have a payload of 1500lbs, so 500 aside for two riders that means 1,000lbs in the bed.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 03-22-2016 at 08:06 AM.

White
    '10 ZR1

That's good info Zin

Yes, I'm looking for two seats, I also like the idea of getting more options with a slightly used UTV - but probably would prefer new.

If I can get a payload of 1,000 lbs, that, to me, would be a pretty big bonus.

'89 Turbo Trans Am Pace Car (Mom's car now)

'68 Camaro - 572 coming soon

'67 Nova - 406 SBC, PG

'10 ZR1

Arctic White, red/gray

I bought the Can Am because I got a deal so good from my friend's boss that I couldn't pass it up. I might have went the cheaper Polaris/Honda route otherwise. But I have been happy with it so far. Except for the maintenance required light. It comes on every so many miles when your ATV is due for maintenance... not because something is actually wrong. Only a CanAm dealer can reset it. So because I do my own work on most things, like fluids etc. This message urks me.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

<<disappointed it wasn't about these guys.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I bought the Can Am because I got a deal so good from my friend's boss that I couldn't pass it up. I might have went the cheaper Polaris/Honda route otherwise. But I have been happy with it so far. Except for the maintenance required light. It comes on every so many miles when your ATV is due for maintenance... not because something is actually wrong. Only a CanAm dealer can reset it. So because I do my own work on most things, like fluids etc. This message urks me.
    Got ?

Arctic White, red/gray

Don't have to many. Never been a bigger picture taker.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 03-22-2016 at 12:07 PM.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

If keeping it simple is important to you, you might want to look at some of the new Electric UTVs. Polaris has a Ranger EV model that handles 500 lbs in the little bed and can tow 1500 with a trailer. Would definitely keep things simple in terms of just plugging it in each night and never having to change oil or mess with fuel. Seems an especially good fit for a UTV that lives on the same job site day in and day out. Would also be quiet and able to be driven indoors without worrying about exhaust fumes.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    If keeping it simple is important to you, you might want to look at some of the new Electric UTVs. Polaris has a Ranger EV model that handles 500 lbs in the little bed and can tow 1500 with a trailer. Would definitely keep things simple in terms of just plugging it in each night and never having to change oil or mess with fuel. Seems an especially good fit for a UTV that lives on the same job site day in and day out. Would also be quiet and able to be driven indoors without worrying about exhaust fumes.
    Interesting thought that hadn't crossed my mind by going with electric. I wonder how that'd hold up in the harsh Minnesota winter if it had to sit outside? (just thinking about battery life, etc)

I'll go to Polaris's site, and check, but what is the approximate top speed for the electric UTV you're talking about? The 500 lb rating for the bed is sufficient.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Definitely check the Polaris site for specs on speed and such as well as how long it takes to charge. Looks like they have at least two levels of performance in the electric models. Can't be any harder to run power out to it than to run power out to your block heater. One other thing I thought about electric over gas is that with a gas engine for a UTV that you would be starting and shutting off after short trips you are going to have a lot of plug fouling from not getting the engine up to full operating temp. You will probably end up with an engine that just doesn't run well as the valves get covered in crud and the oil gets dirty quickly. Not an issue with electric as long as the batteries can hold up to the winter. You might also consider a battery blanket to go with the charging cord each night.

Arctic White, red/gray

I would buy an electric one if I had a lot of private land to hunt on. But if you ever plan on taking this thing in the woods to have fun gas is still the way to go. But for just driving around a property it could be great. What I have seen is the top speed of the Ranger EV48 is 25mph compared to the 50mph of the comparable gasser for the price. You get around 35-50miles miles of use before needing to charge. Which would make it unrealistic for someone like me who rides 100ish miles in a day of riding.

Arctic White, red/gray

2011 RANGER XP LIMITED EDITION (one of a kind)

Look at all the extras on this beast. As long as you aren't middle eastern with a driver holding a cashiers check that is.

Thread Information