Impounded
    gmcheviac

Have you noticed...

.. that as technology and all improves that is supposed to make our lives better, people on average are more miserable and depressed than ever? Like having portable music wherever you go, games, Internet etc. People back in the day (as am I) were just happy to get a nice sunny day or whatever to take a walk or go cruising. Just an observation, please share your thoughts..

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

technology makes people depressed because someone always has something better,no matter what you get today it may fully well be obsolete tomorrow. With all this technology and if we are so damn intelligent why is it that we can't stop going bankrupt, stop unemployment ect. this is one heavily fucked up world we live in.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Oh and another thing because of all the "apps" on phones people are becoming unemployed from playing with their phones more than working. Wrecking their cars from playing with the phones.

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

I disagree. 98% of Americans today dont have the slightest clue what misery truly is.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Mmmk. I don't mean actual hardship like famine. Just that people were happier before all this shit came around.

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

i dont think technology has anything to do with it, ha.

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    Mmmk. I don't mean actual hardship like famine. Just that people were happier before all this shit came around.

thats what I meant too.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Materialism and the drug industry are the causes imo.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Another thought. For me atleast there are too many damn laws. Can't do shit without being arrested. I could give examples, but everything is restricted these days so you could think of anything as an example

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    I disagree. 98% of Americans today dont have the slightest clue what misery truly is.
    misery = your mother in law moving in with you....so I been told My in laws are actually very nice though. I agree with you though leave the famine aside look how much more we have today than what we had even 10 years ago. these kids and adults as well have it made.

I remember back in the late 90's or so when PBS had that show on about the families that had to live like they did in the 1800's build their own cabins, raise their own food ect ect . a few of the women threw fits because they couldn't have hair dryers ect. some of the guys was throwing fits because of the stuff they missed. I told Mom and Dad that I wish I knew about the show, I would have done it.

I also think that with technology moving as fast as it does that it is more along the lines of being overwelmed than miserable. also with the cell phones there really is no escape from the spouse, work ect unless it is turned off.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Naaaa, i dont think technology makes people depressed, i think it's just the fast paced/difficult lifestyle people have to live nowadays, having a nice succesful life is much harder nowadays than it was 20+ years ago, i think the overall chaos of todays lifestyle is what really gets to people.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I blame the schools...

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Dunno. I'd just be happier than a queer with a thumb up his ass to have been in the beginning of the hot rod or muscle scene. Just cruising, no people bothering me on the cell, no people almost killing me driving while on the cell. Women stayed home, knew when a man wanted them to stfu and cooked I'm weird I guess

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

ill tell you what... for some reason i find my self being happy just cruising with the t-tops down on a sunny day.. i could be doing nothing... and a sunny day is just the best.. well a warm one ofcourse..

now that its winter here in nj... i got nothing

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Yep, same here. But it's always raining during our "winter", sucks

Black
    99 Z28

My "opinion" of it is that this technology is actually alienating ourselves from each other.

Before all this other crap came along, when you got on the bus/plane/other transportation, or when you went to the mall or other place where there are people... oh, you know, like school for instance, people would actually talk - in person - to each other. Like when someone was walking towards you, they'd have their eyes up and they'd see where they are going. Now, everyone has their nose in their phone (guilty as anyone) or their hand held game, or their music in their ears.

Since no one is really engaged with anyone or anything going on around them, people just tend to be more and more and more alone and more and more depressed from that.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by DrMilhouse View Post
    My "opinion" of it is that this technology is actually alienating ourselves from each other.

Before all this other crap came along, when you got on the bus/plane/other transportation, or when you went to the mall or other place where there are people... oh, you know, like school for instance, people would actually talk - in person - to each other. Like when someone was walking towards you, they'd have their eyes up and they'd see where they are going. Now, everyone has their nose in their phone (guilty as anyone) or their hand held game, or their music in their ears.

Since no one is really engaged with anyone or anything going on around them, people just tend to be more and more and more alone and more and more depressed from that.
    Yeah, this.

A big problem is texting. I fucking hate texting. Sure there are times when you can't talk, but choosing texting over just calling? Stupid & impersonal imo.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

I'm the only one of my friends that ever really calls people. I get sick of the bullshit texting back and forth and waiting on a reply. I'd rather have it worked out over the phone insantly

Black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Yeah, this.

A big problem is texting. I fucking hate texting. Sure there are times when you can't talk, but choosing texting over just calling? Stupid & impersonal imo.
    Holy fuck! I agree on something with you again. What the heck is this world coming to.

I've gotten to where I text because that's the only way to keep in touch with most of the people I know... they're all afraid to talk on the phone.

People love the anonamity (that's probably not spelled right) of this. It's like they LOVE the way that there's no inflection in the text, like you can't tell if someone is joking or serious or things that could be taken either way, they love to be able to delay and rehearse their responses to what they get.

LAME.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Quote Originally Posted by DrMilhouse View Post
    Holy fuck! I agree on something with you again. What the heck is this world coming to.
    I've gotten to where I text because that's the only way to keep in touch with most of the people I know... they're all afraid to talk on the phone.

People love the anonamity (that's probably not spelled right) of this. It's like they LOVE the way that there's no inflection in the text, like you can't tell if someone is joking or serious or things that could be taken either way, they love to be able to delay and rehearse their responses to what they get.

LAME.
    Does this mean we are going to find out what hard times ,and feeling totally miserable is like due to the sudden massive explosions?

I agree everything is so non personal anymore, thats why they came out with facebook,myspace, twitter ect. so you can communicate and tell people whats going on.NEWS FLASH THEY STILL HAVE PHONES, CALL THEM, THEY STILL MAKE PENS AND PAPER WRITE THEM. Yes I have facebook I origeonaly used that to find family members that I haven't seen in a very long time.Then it turned to friends I haven't seen in a long time.Guess what though I have their phone numbers and addy's now so I can call and write them. I also use it to send pictures to my family of us. stuff that would cost a fortune if I had all of the pictures copied as many times as I needed. I also use it late at night when talking on the phone would wake my son and wife,I talk to my Mom through it. but I still call her too damnit.

Thread Information