Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Question The Great American Road Trip!

Thinking of driving from detroit to las vegas/California to spend a two weeks just exploring cali and vegas. Thinking of riding my Slingshot(that would be a adventure) or maybe my abarth. What are your recommendations to check out in cali? Get a chance to stop off on the way and see the grand canyon and other sites along the way.......

thinking of going late may or late june.

Anybody ever did a trip this long via sports car or bike? or just in general? any advice?
    Last edited by Murder after Midnight; 03-22-2017 at 07:15 PM.

red
    95 Z28

Take the car. That way you won't be so worn out once you get to each of your destinations.
    this post is meant as a joke and in no way should it be interpreted as a serious or meaningful reply. The author of this post cannot be held liable for any damages, both emotional and physical, that may be incurred from the reading of this post. By acknowledging this disclaimer you hereby release the author from any and all liability

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I agree. There was about a year or so back in the early 80's where all we had were bikes. Went on a lot of runs, and it can wear you out. Even in your 20's That's a pretty long ride.

CA is a big state. If you're going to be on the Vegas end, you'll definitely be seeing some desert, so might as well keep going toward the beach

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Drive up highway 1. Go to Big Sur, Alcatraz, Redwood Forest, Fisherman's Dwarf, Sonoma, Napa Valley, Golden Gate Bridge, etc.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I say take the slingshot and make it a real adventure. Only thing is storage... if you're bringing yourself and someone else. But remember.... I'm also the 6'3" guy who rode a supersport CBR 600rr from Milwaukee to Salt Lake City. So.... WTF do I know.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Done the bike tour myself as well on a 91 Katana 750. Like John said you have to account for storage of clothing. If you don't mind hitting a laundry mat every few days take the Slingshot. I think that would be more comfortable then a bike, especially a street/sport bike. Weather is another concern you'll have to deal with. Have a tool kit to for small repairs too.

I highly encourage ppl go explore the country and the world when ever possible. It broadens your views of ppl and places. As a Navy brat and then later Active Duty I've visited every state from TX north to IL and everyone east of that line. Been to WA, CA, NV, NM a few times as well. World travel well that's a long list. All of Central America, Canada, Germany, France, Austria, Hungary, Baltic's (thanks Bill Clinton), Czech Republic, Ireland, Kuwait, Saudi Arb, Iraq, Turkey, S. Korea, Japan. Some were great while others a total shit hole. you can guess which ones those are.

One of my favorite memories was being in a flight of 6 Blackhawks flying thru the Grand Canyon.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 03-23-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm working on knocking out all 50 states soon. Some I've been to several times. Have traveled to 42 so far. Only been out of the country 8 times though. Been on 9 flights already this year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I agree. There was about a year or so back in the early 80's where all we had were bikes. Went on a lot of runs, and it can wear you out. Even in your 20's That's a pretty long ride.

CA is a big state. If you're going to be on the Vegas end, you'll definitely be seeing some desert, so might as well keep going toward the beach
    Any Pics from that era you want to share?
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion
    I tried reading that article but it had too many words.

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Done the bike tour myself as well on a 91 Katana 750. Like John said you have to account for storage of clothing. If you don't mind hitting a laundry mat every few days take the Slingshot. I think that would be more comfortable then a bike, especially a street/sport bike. Weather is another concern you'll have to deal with. Have a tool kit to for small repairs too.

I highly encourage ppl go explore the country and the world when ever possible. It broadens your views of ppl and places. As a Navy brat and then later Active Duty I've visited every state from TX north to IL and everyone east of that line. Been to WA, CA, NV, NM a few times as well. World travel well that's a long list. All of Central America, Canada, Germany, France, Austria, Hungary, Baltic's (thanks Bill Clinton), Czech Republic, Ireland, Kuwait, Saudi Arb, Iraq, Turkey, S. Korea, Japan. Some were great while others a total shit hole. you can guess which ones those are.

One of my favorite memories was being in a flight of 6 Blackhawks flying thru the Grand Canyon.
    Thanks, i know it would be a big money saver to ride also......highly considering taking the slingshot.......A 91 Kat 750 huh? WOW lol i had a 99 kat 750 back in the day.....i bet your back was killing you....lol....how many people did you you ride with?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I almost never rode with a passenger on that bike. Only on emergencies would I let another person on it. With a street bike a passenger sits higher up then the driver and it changes your center of gravity quite a bit. Plus the speeds I used to ride . You had to get use to it, but I would also lay tight to the tank, again the speeds I was riding at. I mostly rode with a group of guys. We'd place a map on the ground and each of us would toss a dart to where we wanted to go. Majority rule. Most of the time we spent in TX, but every once in a while if it was a 4 day weekend we would go to NOLA a few times a yr.

If I was wanting a cruise with a girl friend I would borrow a friends bike that was better suited for that kind of ride. He had a Honda 750 can't remember what it was but it cruised very nice.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I was at a Kawasaki event where you could go on a ride along with a pro rider. They would put you in full leathers and helmet and you would sit on the back while a pro rider took you around road America on a brand new zx10r and they would hit 120mph+ with a passenger on the back. I didn't do it but I talked to a 60+ year old man who did and he said the rider was pushing it hard enough to the point you could feel the back tire getting a little squirrely coming out of the turns when they were getting back on the throttle.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    Any Pics from that era you want to share?
    I only have one picture left of my 41 Flathead. It's a scanned picture of a Polaroid, too haha I might have some of the 79 Shovelhead somewhere though. I'm not digging through the raters in the garage for them though

Oh, edited to say, that the Slingshot would be a hell of a lot more comfortable on that length ride than the hard tail, springer front end I rode But, at the time, I was used to traveling light and if you got a first floor room to stay in, that the office didn't have a clear view to, you could bring the bikes inside for the night. Other than that, it was mostly tenting it at KOA's and stuff like that.
    Last edited by KahanaReef; 03-23-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Thread Information