Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

a good credit card company?

so imm trying to get my first credit card, I applied for one from american express but got a rejection letter yesterday that was a lil screwed up. it said my credit infomantion was "missing or unavialible" from experian, transunion and that other one and the only contact info they gave me was for those three companies so i called up experian to see what the deal was and they said it had to be an error on AE's side cause i most definatly did have a credit report. so then i went onto freecreditreport.com and proceeded to call AE and finally after trying number after number and getting bumped around for person to person I get ahold of some one who can actually help me..and she says no its not missing you just dont have enough credit...I have a credit score of 718! according to freecreditreport.com thats higher than 47.5% of americans and shes telling me I dont have enough credit to get a credit card. ha later -click- so screw american express, whats a good company to go with?

blue
    83 mustang 347

i have a capitol one no hassle rewards platinum. seems to be good and they have an over limit protection service check em out

millenium yellow
    2002 corvette Z06

try your local bank/credit union.....

and after you gain some history..... id go with capitol one...

they have a nice flyer miles program.
    315rwhp 98 SILVER Z28 (3500lbs)- SOLD
    400rwhp 99 HUGGER SS (3375lbs)- SOLD
    340rwhp 02 YELLOW Z06 (3040lbs)

definitely check your bank or credit union the interest rates are alot better

Black
    2005 GTO

Yes I agree go your bank/credit union. It's not that your don't have good credit there just is't enough history of credit. I think when I ran into this a few years ago most banks like you to have a least 4 sources of credit before they consider you to have enough credit. I ran into this when I tried to get my car refiananced and my dad's name off it. I have great credit but I did not have enough. Your bank should be able to hook you up. Alot of the crap you get in the mail is for some crazy credit limit if you go to your bank you should be able to pick your limit. I personally went with 1k so I did't get myself into trouble.

blue
    83 mustang 347

yes defineately get a low limit until you get used to having it and keeping the balances down. I am just now paying off 10k worth of stuff i bought a couple years ago

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

First card I ever had was the Discover card. Good card for a first timer.

cool thanks for the responses guys. I guess I'l head down to bank of america since my main bank is a small local outfit but I havn't used the bank of america account since I emptied all but $40 bucks form it to but my first camaro almost 7 years ago now.. so is that gonna affect any thing?

blue
    83 mustang 347

probably not they are just going to pull from all three of the major credit bureaus

sweet, i gotta go find out what the hell my pin# was anyways

Red
    1999 TA | 2001 SW Z06

AE..will be impossible for a first timer. Good luck with the new card.

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

your best bet is to try and get a department credit card like a macys/jc penny card and start there. Buy some clothes you need anyway and pay the bill. Buy some more clothes/shoes or whatever and pay the bill. Do this for a few months then apply for a visa or mastercard.. Discover is also good too but stay away from american express, tons of places dont take them, they are a pain in the ass to deal with, intrest rates suck and they dont have much going for them...

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    First card I ever had was the Discover card. Good card for a first timer.

thats what ive got and its been great, customer service is very helpful and they seem to always put you first, plus i get cash back.

Quote Originally Posted by LS1WS6 View Post
    your best bet is to try and get a department credit card like a macys/jc penny card and start there. Buy some clothes you need anyway and pay the bill. Buy some more clothes/shoes or whatever and pay the bill. Do this for a few months then apply for a visa or mastercard.. Discover is also good too but stay away from american express, tons of places dont take them, they are a pain in the ass to deal with, intrest rates suck and they dont have much going for them...
    meh i only finally motivated myself to get a card cause im going on vacation besides I hardly ever spend money at those kind of stores. tomorro I think il have a chance to go down to the bank and apply, i dont see why i wouldnt be able to get one, my bro just got one and my cuz has had a few and i have better credit then both of them

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

its not credit score its CREDIT HISTORY. Thats how you get credit cards and more important loans.. How do you get credit history, get a store credit card. It doesnt have to be macys it could be any department store that has their own card. One other way to get a credit card is by securing it, meaning you give the credit card co 500 up front and they give you 250-500 worth of credit to use and build upon. Some people get lucky and get a card for doing nothing. Brother got a credit card in the mail when he was 8 years old. Like i said some get lucky and get through the cracks others have to fight for it and build it up..

for you i would hightly suggest you got to www.capitalone.com and apply there. You will get a response really fast from them, think its like 15 min and their also a good company. I have my car loan from them, i applied online for the loan and got a call back in 5 min with an approval.

Sebring Silver
    1999 Camaro Z28

I like Citi cards. They've been good to me. Check out http://www.creditboards.com. There is a lot of good information about building your credit.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Washinton Mutual

I'm just a little over a year from my bankruptcy discharge, & have a 9.7% with a $1500 limit & no fee.
    Also have a 684 FICO score now! WooWoo!

Good credit card company? Isn't that an oxymoron?!?

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Quote Originally Posted by Sassy Cassie View Post
    Good credit card company? Isn't that an oxymoron?!?

good point

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

One of the easiest to get is the Hooter(yes the restaurant) Credit Card. With a good credit limit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information