Black
    '99 SS

Going to Work At a Performance Shop

I'm hoping, now that I'm moving into a house soon with a garage, that I'll actually be able to work on and install parts on my car. Within a year I will hopefully had installed most suspension upgrades (shocks, springs, a-arms, torque arm, panhard bar, etc).... Learned to weld at a decent capability (SFC, Roll Cage)... install LTs and maybe even throw some tranny work in there.

With the tools and experienced gained there would I be able to get a job at some of the performance shops or are they in need of highly trained people, someone doing this all their lives? Would I be better off doing it this way or going out and trying to get employed with little to no experience and basically learn from them?

I really like working on cars (even though my experience is somewhat limited) and am sure I would enjoy work a hell of a lot more than waiting tables. Can anyone with experience in this kind of stuff point me in the right direction?

P.S. Sorry for the long post

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

I do not have much experience in this area, but u should just talk to some shop managers for the answers u need. let me know if it ends up working out for u.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I actually thought about going this route at one time. Experience is a tough thing to get and most people want guys with experience. Why not just do side work out of your garage?
    After you work on a few peoples cars you'll realize just how much it sucks to work on cars that aren't taken care of. It's not like working on your own car where everything is clean and maintenance has been done. Usually the cars look like the hood hasn't been raised in years.

Could not have said it better.....
    been there, done that,
    not to discourage you from what you may enjoy!! It might be perfect for you, in my 8 years of employment at repair shop I personally found it to be an on-going dog eat dog situation with to much stress and unpaid time.

Got passenger window problems?
    http://www.autotrix.net
    **Window Express Down Modules now availible**
    http://www.autotrix.net/products.html

pewter
    99 Trans Am

At your age you have the time to go to some of the best training schools that teaches you just what you need to know about cars.you can learn to do it all. and than be your own boss.I wish that I had gone this route,but I don't think that there were any schools that I knew of at the time I started doing mechanic work.I learned as I went along.But now you have the time in your life to get it all at one place.The schools have all the tools and equipment that you will be working with in the shops and with good training you can be one of the best.I have been doing mechanic work for 30yrs and I don't understand alot about the newer cars of today,but you have the time right now to learn it all. If you really want to learn, GO BACK TO A GOOD MECHANICIAL SCHOOL.and get what you need.Be your own boss.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by autotrix View Post
    Could not have said it better.....
    been there, done that,
    not to discourage you from what you may enjoy!! It might be perfect for you, in my 8 years of employment at repair shop I personally found it to be an on-going dog eat dog situation with to much stress and unpaid time.
    +3!! Been there, done that. Worked all cars all my life, went to UTI, then realized I hated workin on other peoples shit!

Thread Information