Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

GM Lied About The Volt?

Remember how GM SWORE that the Volt would only be driven by the electric motor and the ICE was only used to charge the batteries?

Turns out it's a bunch of Stimulus

And the 230mpg turns out to be only high 30s.

Gee, my 1999 Saturn hit high 30s.

Way to go GM

http://jalopnik.com/5661051/how-gm-l...e-electric-car

And here's a Rebuttal of sorts.

Edit: Good point about Cliffs. Short version. Volt isn't driven only by electric and doesn't return 230mpg.
    Last edited by CJREX; 10-11-2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Added Cliffs version

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

This post, is fail. The 30 mpg is what it would get if it ran on gas alone. The over all total "MPG" Rating is sitting at 127 mpg.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Yea what he said. Also for those of us with a commute under 40 miles a day you could actually not use any gas if you plug her in when you get home. But then there's the ol' electric bill.

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    Yea what he said. Also for those of us with a commute under 40 miles a day you could actually not use any gas if you plug her in when you get home. But then there's the ol' electric bill.
    Only costs 1.50 to fully charge it. Further more some people dont read articles on this site, note to self, never post anything without cliffs.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Quote Originally Posted by 95camaroZNC View Post
    This post, is fail. The 30 mpg is what it would get if it ran on gas alone. The over all total "MPG" Rating is sitting at 127 mpg.
    Where was the 127mpg figure? If all trips were very short this could be possible (maximize electric)

They averaged high 30s to low 40s on a highway loop.

And it can't run on only gasoline.

That said, if it does get 127, it will be a monster hit.

But I view that number with extreme scepticism until real world numbers appear.
    Last edited by CJREX; 10-11-2010 at 07:46 PM.

Black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    Remember how GM SWORE that the Volt would only be driven by the electric motor and the ICE was only used to charge the batteries?

Way to go GM

.... uhm... yeah... so I remember when I was just a little guy. My parents had this white Honda hatchback CVC. It was a simple car. It got about 30mpg. It was older than a 1980.

Here it is 30 years later and we have car manufacturers BRAGGING and advertising that they have cars getting 40-50mpg... They should be ashamed. Granted, there is much better performance now, but not like giant leaps that you'd expect from 3 decades.

05 Wrangler

Where was the 127mpg figure? If all trips were very short this could be possible (maximize electric)

They averaged high 30s to low 40s on a highway loop.

And it can't run on only gasoline.

That said, if it does get 127, it will be a monster hit.

But I view that number with extreme scepticism until real world numbers appear.
    GM's still holding back for patent reasons but from what I understand it'll do the 40 miles all electric thing, use the gas engine as a generator to sustain charge under 70mph and use the gas engine to charge batt/drive the wheels when charge is low or over 70mph. Real world mileage is going to be amazing in this thing if driven correctly. Seriously with my under 40 miles commute i'd need a fuel stabilizer.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

My interpretation is the gas engine is kicking on quite a bit more then people think it is. The magazines drove the thing on HIGHWAY conditions and got 10 percent of the 230 mpg claim. If it was a true electric car, it'd run on electricity ALL the time. have the gas engine kick on when you have went out of the range of charge availiable and then have to recharge batteries. This thing, the gas engine is kicking on whenever you go over 70. 25-50 miles of electric operation doesnt not equal 230 mpg.

This car is nothing more then an advanced plug in hybrid. So yes. FAIL. AND THEY DID LIE.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Way to go GM

Edit: Good point about Cliffs. Short version. Volt isn't driven only by electric and doesn't return 230mpg.
    GM had the government give them billions of dollars. You try getting that without lying.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMilhouse View Post
    Here it is 30 years later and we have car manufacturers BRAGGING and advertising that they have cars getting 40-50mpg... They should be ashamed. Granted, there is much better performance now, but not like giant leaps that you'd expect from 3 decades.
    History is lost on the consumer. Only relativity matters. It doesn't matter what happened 30 years ago. Not even 10 years ago the nation was triumphing in excess with their 8mpg SUVs and 15 mpg sports cars. Now that there's this big change to buzzwords like "recession", "going green", "saving money" and other such bullshit, the marketing and advertising mouth breathers only have to compare their products relative to the recent past, and nothing more.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

The real crime is when Chevy took that kick ass sporty Volt concept and turned it into that hideous Prius-esque production model. I can only imagine they did it to eke out another few MPGs with better aerodynamics. But they woulda sold so much more if the final product looked like the concept.

Honda is going to make a big move with their sportier CRZ. The younger crowd that wants to fake green but still look cool is going to eat that up.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    The younger crowd that wants to fake green but still look cool is going to eat that up.
    See also: Hipsters

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    GM had the government give them billions of dollars. You try getting that without lying.

History is lost on the consumer. Only relativity matters. It doesn't matter what happened 30 years ago. Not even 10 years ago the nation was triumphing in excess with their 8mpg SUVs and 15 mpg sports cars. Now that there's this big change to buzzwords like "recession", "going green", "saving money" and other such bullshit, the marketing and advertising mouth breathers only have to compare their products relative to the recent past, and nothing more.
    another thing is, ride in a 1980's econobox. They are far smaller, no safety features, not as strict emissions requirements, and lack whiz-bangs and ball ticklers to keep a fat pissy soccer dad happy. Now, I could give a shit about all of the above, but the gubbment and consumers won't settle for less.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    another thing is, ride in a 1980's econobox. They are far smaller, no safety features, not as strict emissions requirements, and lack whiz-bangs and ball ticklers to keep a fat pissy soccer dad happy. Now, I could give a shit about all of the above, but the gubbment and consumers won't settle for less.
    Tell me about it. My third gen weighs as much as a battleship, but don't have shit. Must be made of lead or something.

05 Wrangler

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

See also: Hipsters
    Good God i cannot stand those young people. They act and look like bums and are proud of it

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    Ok that says that when the vehicle is doing 70+, a second electric motor kicks in. The gas engine does not drive the wheels at 70+ all the time, but only when the car is also recharging while at 70+. That makes some kind of sense to me. Probably something to do with the electrical usage rate at high speed vs the supply rate. I can live with that explanation, assuming that the car delivers as promised, and that a driver can go all electric on a standard daily commute.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Tell me about it. My third gen weighs as much as a battleship, but don't have shit. Must be made of lead or something.
    not really. it it high on features and safety compared to an 80's shit (maybe shittier is appropriate) box

05 Wrangler

GM didn't really lie either it's more of a numbers game and not releasing all the facts. A 50 mile trip with the first 40 miles being all electric and the last 10 miles getting 40 mpg (using 1/4 gal gas) is like 200 mpg effective rate.

The volt is meant to be a short distance commuter that can go farther if needed and get 35-40mpg. They're asking too much though...msrp is 41k before the 7500 tax credit.

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

i saw a tesla roadster the other day, at a convention for work, and talked with the owner. those things get infinity miles to the gallon. why doesnt GM or Ford, or some other major auto manufacturer invest in a company like that to make the technology more affordable?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

some one explain how running on batteries = miles per GALLON in consumption of gas? This is rating scheme. It should read XX minutes of usage remaining @ current speed reading.

I know it is for all of the sheep that can't figure stuff out, but here's an idea = educate ppl.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information