Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    2001 WS6

GM and Ford bankrupt?

Just curious what cars would you guys buy if the big 3 automakers go under? And "IF" such a thing did happen what effects would it have? Such as wouldnt' all ppl switch to foreign for sure. Well maybe stupid questions but i just hope it is not true i would rather pay a little more to fix a unreliable car than to buy a foreign. Saw this website and just thought i would ask.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081109/...C_WantT7Os0NUE

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

THey are laying off so many white collar employees at both companies I don't think they'll go under, maybe get close. But chances are if that happens their will be a bailout of some sort.

I think GM should consider firing Rich Wagoner

Nothing special
    Nothing special

All of the Big 3 need a major restructuring, from top to bottom. Everything from top management to disolving the unions to the pention plans to the janitor salaries.

They will HAVE to get a bailout because they are too important to be allowed to go under; the sheer number of people it would affect would be staggering.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Tide View Post
    All of the Big 3 need a major restructuring, from top to bottom. Everything from top management to disolving the unions to the pention plans to the janitor salaries.

They will HAVE to get a bailout because they are too important to be allowed to go under; the sheer number of people it would affect would be staggering.
    I'd rather hear about management taking the paycuts then people like the janitors etc

You think the brass have skipped their bonuses every year? I think Wagoner pulls something like 15 mill a year

Living the Dream LS1FirehawkWS6's Avatar

2000 Trans-Am
    2007 Silverado 2500HD LTZ

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    I'd rather hear about management taking the paycuts then people like the janitors etc

You think the brass have skipped their bonuses every year? I think Wagoner pulls something like 15 mill a year
    There it is in a nutshell. You wanna save these companies? Cut administrative wages and cap salaries. Getting rid of blue collar workers doesn't save you any money in the long run.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by LS1FirehawkWS6 View Post
    There it is in a nutshell. You wanna save these companies? Cut administrative wages and cap salaries. Getting rid of blue collar workers doesn't save you any money in the long run.
    Whenever theres "sacrifices" to be made, companies always hit the lil guy just trying to make a living. Somebody making 15 mill a year is not gonna go poor by takin a paycut. But the guy making 30k is already barely making it. Thats why I have no sympathy for these companies anymore.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am A4

i think this is why GM is trying to purchase Dodge and what not.

Supposedly, GM can start saving money if they do...not sure how.

If the big three went down....we'd all be driving Toyota's...that not a world i want to live in.

Living the Dream LS1FirehawkWS6's Avatar

2000 Trans-Am
    2007 Silverado 2500HD LTZ

Whenever theres "sacrifices" to be made, companies always hit the lil guy just trying to make a living. Somebody making 15 mill a year is not gonna go poor by takin a paycut. But the guy making 30k is already barely making it. Thats why I have no sympathy for these companies anymore.
    and it's not just in the automotive industry. That ass-hat from the investment bank drove his company into the ground. When the bailout package came from congress, he took a 2 Billion dollar bonus. That's billion with a "b".

I agree with my buddy Al. Let the economy crash and rebuild itself.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by jknelms View Post
    If the big three went down....we'd all be driving Toyota's...that not a world i want to live in.
    Negative.

Nissan and Acura. I can deal with that. I plan on purchasing one in a few years already.

Quote Originally Posted by LS1FirehawkWS6 View Post
    I agree with my buddy Al. Let the economy crash and rebuild itself.
    Perfectly fine...just let me get a stable job first.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Negative.

Nissan and Acura. I can deal with that. I plan on purchasing one in a few years already.

Perfectly fine...just let me get a stable job first.
    i said Toyota, because by far, i would think they would hold the major reign of the U.S....I believe Toyota is the largest manufacturer in the world now. but yeah, maybe Nissan.....as for Acura, isn't that a Honda? blah.

'69 Camaro

Those union boys are definitely making better than 30k a year. It's not like a guy using air tools to put in four bolts needs to be making 40 bucks an hour.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C&I View Post
    Those union boys are definitely making better than 30k a year. It's not like a guy using air tools to put in four bolts needs to be making 40 bucks an hour.
    I didnt say they did. But I'm tired of the working man always getting fucked. That was my point

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by jknelms View Post
    i said Toyota, because by far, i would think they would hold the major reign of the U.S....I believe Toyota is the largest manufacturer in the world now. but yeah, maybe Nissan.....as for Acura, isn't that a Honda? blah.
    Toyota is getting hit hard .. They have closed plants till after the end of the year .. Honda is a lot better set up for this because of how diverse they are .. We are going to a 4 day work week with Fridays being a come in if you want to but no points if you dont , but not running any production...

Also read that GM and Ford may have to pull all their backing out of racing ... with no factory teams ..

black
    2000 pontiac trans am

Thinking about the big three getting bailed out... the past years we've seen an emphasis on performance. True, wile toyota was advancing the prius, gm was making a 600+ hp ZR1 corvette, and bringing back the camaro. If the american car companies are bailed out is there going to be a mandate by our government to squash new muscle cars and performance for economical shit boxes??? I'm not saying there shouldn't be a happy medium but this sounds like it could be disastrous for our hobby???

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

If they had taken care of the unions long ago instead of bending over for them this would solve alot of there issues, not all but a significant amount. They cant even make a profit on these low cost high mpg cars like other foreign manufactures b/c of labor and union costs. While I understand why unions used to be important, they no longer truly serve a purpose since most of the things they originally were created for are now protected by federal laws.

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

I dunno it's a scary time right now.

No such thing as job security anymore. They can cut lots of costs before it gets to the worker. Healthcare is a major issue. So is getting rid of all the people who actually buy the cars. Think about it. Every single layoff is potientially 1 or 2 cars every couple years. That's alot of cars and alot of people who might never buy another gm product.

They got rid of the jobs bank which was a good thing. But the jobs bank was created (not to keep lazy workers) but as a incentive to keep jobs in america.
    As with many things they did not get the desired result out of it.

Gm needs to keep making good looking affordable cars like the malibu. If gas could stabalize more trucks would be sold. Once the housing and construction markets pick up so should truck sales.

We need to get the credit markets back in check. So people can actually get a loan for a car.

I think a vast majority of the workers would take a pay cut of a few dollars an hour to keep their job. Gm should also lower the price of their cars. That would help, but we all know that's not going to happen.

Unions are not all to blame... they have good apples and bad apples like anything else.
    Last edited by knightryda01; 11-09-2008 at 03:59 PM. Reason: blah

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Unions were not in the banking sector and look what happened.
    White collar employees run companies, not blue collar
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

Unions were not in the banking sector and look what happened.
    White collar employees run companies, not blue collar
    Good point man!!!

The funny thing about unions ( I know this because I have worked both union and non-union within the same company) is it's not about the cost at all.

It's about power.... Companies want to keep workers as basically their bitches. Companies want to do what they want, when they want, to their benefit or not. I went from working my standard shift either 8-12 hrs to not knowing when I was going home on a daily basis.

It's one thing when they ask you to work over... that's fine. but making someone work over it something else. Try planning a family life around that.
    I'm sure some people will agree with it but it was a pain in the ass for a good year and a half of my career. I mean I am all for busting my ass for my job but that was overboard. Try thinking your leaving at 330 and at 320 you find out your working till 7pm

I actually make more money on the non union side of it, but it's nice to know someone (meaning the union) has your back if anything goes down.

I agree that the economy should just crash and get it over with...it is pretty much inevitable.....we were just like the Romans...think we are all big and mighty and we are humbled by our own greed. History repeats itself. I am willing to wait it out.

20K+ posts in 2004

None
    None

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/04/30/g...ee-pay-halved/

Do some research.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information