Thread: GM Blinker

Midnight Blue
    1998 Pontiac Firebird

GM Blinker

Off Topic somewhat have this prob in the wifes car (98' chevy cavaliar) pass side blinker will burn out every 2-3 days tops wether she uses blinker always or not, always melts the plastic around the (3057) bulb thin wire connector on one side, no worries yet for the bird but since we use same bulb and conn my can of worms coming next or? wtf lol. lol her cav is a 2.2 I4 5 speed 180,000 miles DD her bulbs costing more than my weekly beer budjet lmao!!! J/K any help i would love it Fellas

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by travs98ls1 View Post
    Off Topic somewhat have this prob in the wifes car (98' chevy cavaliar) pass side blinker will burn out every 2-3 days tops wether she uses blinker always or not, always melts the plastic around the (3057) bulb thin wire connector on one side, no worries yet for the bird but since we use same bulb and conn my can of worms coming next or? wtf lol. lol her cav is a 2.2 I4 5 speed 180,000 miles DD her bulbs costing more than my weekly beer budjet lmao!!! J/K any help i would love it Fellas

what happens is water gets inside the lense housing, condenses and rusts/corrodes up the socket for the bulb, this inturn gets hot and tends to short the bulbs and melt the plastic housing, repair means buying a new socket at autozone or whathaveyou.

then you can choose to drill a small hole in the bottom of the housing to let water pour out,(doesnt sound like it would work, but 99% of the time it does.) my tailights and blinker/drl housings all have a small hole to prevent this from happening, no problems ever.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by travs98ls1 View Post
    This is a very common problem with our cars. I had mine go bad every few weeks and felt like I might as well start buying them in bulk. I would try replacing the bulb housing first. If it's not that then there may be a short in the wires connected to the housing or simply moisture is getting to the bulb. Hope this helps.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by transamgirl89 View Post
    This is a very common problem with our cars. I had mine go bad every few weeks and felt like I might as well start buying them in bulk. I would try replacing the bulb housing first. If it's not that then there may be a short in the wires connected to the housing or simply moisture is getting to the bulb. Hope this helps.
    replace the bulb socket you mean, not the plastic housing that the socket twists into. unless the housing is too damaged already inwhich case replacing the housing only will just do the same thing over time. the socket is what causes the problem.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yes I would try a new socket and bulb.

yellow
    02 Collector Edition TA

You're lucky you don't live in a winter/salt/sand environment. Cavaliers have the worst front lighting harness of any car. They used unsealed buttsplices from the factory and only wrapped them in tape. In a corrosive environment it reeks havoc on it. I've fixed my beater headlight harness 4 times now.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Not a bad idea to use some dielectric grease on the bulb contacts as well. This will usually prevent moisture from corroding them.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I buy turn signals for the driver side six at a time. Passenger side has never gone bad. Bulbs usually explode and crack...soon as it gets warm I am going to replace the entire thing. Oh, and antisieze the shit out of those access panel bolts if anyone has a bird. Took me an hour to get them off without damaging the car first time it happened.

Thread Information