Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Getting the best price for a car tactics/ideas?

I"m curious how you guys go about getting a new (used) car at a better price. Nothing off the show-room floor where there is a lot of wiggle room.

Class ends next week and I have my eye on an Acura TL in Charlotte, NC. I'd have to fly out there and drive it home, but I think I found "the one". It's got 100k on it for 12k. Looks to be in excellent condition, but it's hard to haggle with cars in excellent condition right? These cars usually move fast due to their reliability I guess.

I'd think 11k is more reasonable since I've seen others with half the mileage for 12k, but this one has some better wheels and the spoiler. It just looks nicer/cleaner. Might be hard to haggle.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Ca$h i$ KING!
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    I"m curious how you guys go about getting a new (used) car at a better price. Nothing off the show-room floor where there is a lot of wiggle room.

Class ends next week and I have my eye on an Acura TL in Charlotte, NC. I'd have to fly out there and drive it home, but I think I found "the one". It's got 100k on it for 12k. Looks to be in excellent condition, but it's hard to haggle with cars in excellent condition right? These cars usually move fast due to their reliability I guess.

I'd think 11k is more reasonable since I've seen others with half the mileage for 12k, but this one has some better wheels and the spoiler. It just looks nicer/cleaner. Might be hard to haggle.
    LOL i would rather have the one with half the miles(wear and tear) for the same money man.........come on man lol you can get a nice set of rims and a ricer wing off of craiglist.
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion
    I tried reading that article but it had too many words.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

If you already have cash or financing lined up (especially cash), tell them you'll buy it "right now" for $9,000.00. If they balk, walk, if they negotiate to $10-10.5k, you are ahead of the game.

Remember this, we are getting closer to the end of model years, and dealers, and the market, will be neck deep in used cars when they "make your best deal" on the last of the 2016 inventory, there will be plenty of nice deals around the corner.
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

red
    95 Z28

All sales are cash as far as the dealer is concerned, so telling them you'll pay today in cash won't do jack shit. In fact they'd rather finance the deal for you. They'll make more money.

Decide on a price you're willing to pay, start below that, and if they won't hit your number, get up and walk out. Simple as that. Don't play any games, you're negotiating the price of the car, NOT your monthly payment.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    All sales are cash as far as the dealer is concerned, so telling them you'll pay today in cash won't do jack shit. In fact they'd rather finance the deal for you. They'll make more money.

Decide on a price you're willing to pay, start below that, and if they won't hit your number, get up and walk out. Simple as that. Don't play any games, you're negotiating the price of the car, NOT your monthly payment.
    agreed....that's how I approach buying cars these days. I quit haggling price a long time ago. I go in knowing what the car is worth and what I'll pay and I'm always willing to leave. My wife is a deal killer. She "falls in love" with a car she's looking at and has got to have that car. We've had some tense rides home because of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Timing belt is due at 105K. If it hasn't been done I wouldn't pay more than 10 tops
    83 Thunderturd even bigger turd probably LQ4 4L80 swap at some point
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the guys here know how to find a nekkid chick farting into a cake but 2+2 stumps the shit out of 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My brain must be defective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Says the king of mockery and shit talking

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Ca$h i$ KING!
    I plan to pay cash, but I thought dealers preferred financing. I guess it depends.

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    LOL i would rather have the one with half the miles(wear and tear) for the same money man.........come on man lol you can get a nice set of rims and a ricer wing off of craiglist.
    These are stock wheels that I've never seen on any other Acura TL and I've looked at at least 500 if not 1000 of these. I don't want a ricer wing, I want a stock vehicle that's been taken care of. I don't want a car that has had 3 owners with 50k on it (some of them actually look rough with that mileage) vs. a one owner car with all the options in mint condition at 100k. I mean I thought about this, and I could be totally wrong too. But these cars hit 300k all the time. The car barely looks broken in, and the cars with 50k don't have the options I want (no ebony interior or have ripped seats, so it's not easy to just get the ones with 50k cuz they are black or gold or some other color i didn't want)

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    If you already have cash or financing lined up (especially cash), tell them you'll buy it "right now" for $9,000.00. If they balk, walk, if they negotiate to $10-10.5k, you are ahead of the game.

Remember this, we are getting closer to the end of model years, and dealers, and the market, will be neck deep in used cars when they "make your best deal" on the last of the 2016 inventory, there will be plenty of nice deals around the corner.
    Not easy to do when I'm not ready to walk I guess haha. I'll keep it in mind though.

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Timing belt is due at 105K. If it hasn't been done I wouldn't pay more than 10 tops
    First priority will be finding out the service records, but the timing belt shouldn't be too hard to do, and they are cheap. I looked into it. I'd like to pay 10k! haha

Looks like my biggest weakness is that I'm pretty set on this car...I should probably change that mindset. It's not easy to walk away from a car if I'm flying in to buy it btw guys....haha
    Last edited by allbaugh_04; 04-27-2016 at 06:59 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Then I would say pack $12k instead of $10k Seriously though.....there's always other cars out there. I've never seen a car that I just had to have......there are 10 cars at any given time I'd like to have. Patience is key.....I don't start looking for a car when I need one. I start looking for a car 6 months before I'm even thinking about getting one. If something comes along in those 6 months I'll buy it and if it doesn't then I'll give it another 6 months. Eventually though the right deal/car comes along.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My female friend had a TL for a pretty long time. I'll ask her about it.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

red
    95 Z28

Acura TLs are NOT rare cars. If they don't hit your number, leave. And under no circumstances tell them that you flew into town to get the car. If you do, they'll know that you're probably going to buy the car either way, and they won't come down on price. As far as they're concerned, you drove in from five minutes down the street.
    this post is meant as a joke and in no way should it be interpreted as a serious or meaningful reply. The author of this post cannot be held liable for any damages, both emotional and physical, that may be incurred from the reading of this post. By acknowledging this disclaimer you hereby release the author from any and all liability

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Then I would say pack $12k instead of $10k Seriously though.....there's always other cars out there. I've never seen a car that I just had to have......there are 10 cars at any given time I'd like to have. Patience is key.....I don't start looking for a car when I need one. I start looking for a car 6 months before I'm even thinking about getting one. If something comes along in those 6 months I'll buy it and if it doesn't then I'll give it another 6 months. Eventually though the right deal/car comes along.
    I've been looking more than 6 months. My daily is falling apart as I type this. Finally narrowed my choices down to this make/model at least.

I did another search on carguru tonight and went through another 200 TLs. Only 2 of 200 had the spoiler in the years '07-'08 and only one has the better looking wheels and excellent condition.

Acura TLs are NOT rare cars. If they don't hit your number, leave. And under no circumstances tell them that you flew into town to get the car. If you do, they'll know that you're probably going to buy the car either way, and they won't come down on price. As far as they're concerned, you drove in from five minutes down the street.
    I was thinking I wouldn't tell them either. But then I don't have a round trip ticket either. I wonder if I can negotiate a price before I show up...
    Last edited by allbaugh_04; 04-27-2016 at 09:37 PM.

red
    95 Z28

You need to stop caring about what cars have the right wheels or spoiler. Find the right miles and condition and put the fucking spoiler and wheels on later.

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

You need to stop caring about what cars have the right wheels or spoiler. Find the right miles and condition and put the fucking spoiler and wheels on later.
    +1 i just said that above and it went over his head lol........but this is the best approach.....it's not a rare car at all. A TL is nothing special. If had said he found the right grandnational this would be a different convo........because you don't run accross them often for the right condition price.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Easiest way to get the best deal is to simply say no...the more you say no, the more they'll chase you and try to work with you AND if the dealership doesn't do that then just move on to the next car.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Thanks for this post, not because I finally see the light, but I was checking on prices for those wheels, which are over $1,000 alone, but I realized they are 18" wheels and I don't want 18" wheels with the rough roads around here. So thanks for that. 1,000 for wheels + 500 or more for painting and installing a spoiler is not worth the extra 1,500-2,000 to DIY; to me anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    +1 i just said that above and it went over his head lol........but this is the best approach.....it's not a rare car at all. A TL is nothing special. If had said he found the right grandnational this would be a different convo........because you don't run accross them often for the right condition price.
    What is rare is the options on the car and the condition of the seats. To me that is something special. I want a car in good condition. Finding one in good condition is what is rare.

All this thread was about was haggling, not "help me decide what I find important in a car."
    Last edited by allbaugh_04; 04-28-2016 at 07:20 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    Easiest way to get the best deal is to simply say no...the more you say no, the more they'll chase you and try to work with you AND if the dealership doesn't do that then just move on to the next car.
    I think the internet has also changed this aspect of car buying also.....I don't think dealerships chase after you like they once did because you have people coming from all over for a car so if it's a desirable car it's going to sell. I think it all comes down to pricing. The internet has made it so car values aren't so mysterious like they once were. The buyers and the dealerships know what the car is worth so it's taken some of the wiggle room out. I'm sure there are still dealerships that try crazy mark up prices trying to find a sucker but a smart buyer will see right through that.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

I think the internet has also changed this aspect of car buying also.....I don't think dealerships chase after you like they once did because you have people coming from all over for a car so if it's a desirable car it's going to sell. I think it all comes down to pricing. The internet has made it so car values aren't so mysterious like they once were. The buyers and the dealerships know what the car is worth so it's taken some of the wiggle room out. I'm sure there are still dealerships that try crazy mark up prices trying to find a sucker but a smart buyer will see right through that.
    It will work at the end of the month honestly. But if you can wait until the end of the year...that's when you can get everything you want. I only buy cars certain times of the year usually.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Thanks for this post, not because I finally see the light, but I was checking on prices for those wheels, which are over $1,000 alone, but I realized they are 18" wheels and I don't want 18" wheels with the rough roads around here. So thanks for that. 1,000 for wheels + 500 or more for painting and installing a spoiler is not worth the extra 1,500-2,000 to DIY; to me anyways.

What is rare is the options on the car and the condition of the seats. To me that is something special. I want a car in good condition. Finding one in good condition is what is rare.

All this thread was about was haggling, not "help me decide what I find important in a car."

To don't take this the wrong way, or think i'm trying to bomb on you man but:
    Nothing is special about ANY TL, with any options, in any condition...........period.
    In fact i'm starting to get drowsey discussing this YAWN mobile.
    Last edited by Murder after Midnight; 04-28-2016 at 10:17 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

TLs aren't rare as stated before. But they are nice cars, in 2004 when they got redesigned they had really nice interiors. Nothing the big 3 had in 2004 even came close fit, finish and quality wise. But this is 2016 not 2004 so not only are they not rare but you can find other cars around that price that are pretty nice as well.

I like the TL, they are pretty quick cars. My buddy's dad had a 04 TL in 05 when I had my 96 formula.... from a roll those cars were close with the formula having the edge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information