Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    2002 Z28

Gas Octane In Cali?

Why is the highest octane in California 91?

The East Coast has 93 as super, even 94!

I would think that the higher octane would help with the environment/emmisions.

Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by zul8r2002
    Why is the highest octane in California 91?

The East Coast has 93 as super, even 94!

I would think that the higher octane would help with the environment/emmisions.

Anyone know?
    Higher octane doesn't help emissions.

Essentially, they sell 91 because they can. It's cheaper for them to make, and they can sell it for the same price as 93 on the east coast. Most people wouldn't know octane if it bit them on the ass, but "need premium."

BTW, It's not just Cali, but the whole left side of the country, including AZ and west TX.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

mmmmhhhhhmmmmm michigan... now if only i had an engine that needed it. lol

Impulse Blue Matallic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    Higher octane doesn't help emissions.

Essentially, they sell 91 because they can. It's cheaper for them to make, and they can sell it for the same price as 93 on the east coast. Most people wouldn't know octane if it bit them on the ass, but "need premium."

BTW, It's not just Cali, but the whole left side of the country, including AZ and west TX.
    Oregon, Washington, Idaho are all 92.

Cali uses 91 octane because it pollutes less. the higher the octane, the more resistant a fuel is to igniting. When driving under a normal load, it is not uncommon for raw fuel to pass through the combustion chamber and out the tail pipe (in vapor form) when using high octane fuel. Especially if you are pumping super into a low compression vehicle wrongfully thinking that you are getting more power.

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

Elevation. That's it. A car doesn't need the same octane at 4000ft that it needs at sea level. That's why octane goes down going right to left across country just like the elevation maps.

Mystic Teal
    1997 Camaro Z-28

they took all 94 octane away from the pumps here in PA....the highest we have now is 93.

Impulse Blue Matallic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCaveMan
    Elevation. That's it. A car doesn't need the same octane at 4000ft that it needs at sea level. That's why octane goes down going right to left across country just like the elevation maps.
    No.

black
    98 WS6

91 in NV
    in some places I saw regular being 85

Mrs.'s Boobies

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by jacobyb
    No.
    Wow, I didn't know West Coast beaches were at a different elevation than the East Coast beaches. You learn something new everyday.

Mexican killed my car

Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS
    Wow, I didn't know West Coast beaches were at a different elevation than the East Coast beaches. You learn something new everyday.
    And those beaches are less than a tank of gas away from higher elevation.

Mexican killed my car

Quote Originally Posted by jacobyb
    No.
    Sorry but i'm right. A car's need for octane is lowered the higher it get's in elevation. When the air pressure is lowered outside, air pressure in the engine is lowered also. It's kinda funny how it works like that isn't it?
    Last edited by CaptainCaveMan; 06-14-2006 at 11:58 AM.

They pulled 94 around here too (NJ) but I am wondering how long 93 is going to last. We have a ton of rich bastards here all running around getting primium for no reason, but i'll be at 11.2:1 soon so I'm gunna miss my 94.

i see those octane boosters on the shelf, anyone ever actually test them to see how well they work, and if thier claims are correct?

and speaking of octane, anyone have any idea what leaded gas was rated at back in the days of real muscle car engines?

Sorry but i'm right. A car's need for octane is lowered the higher it get's in elevation. When the air pressure is lowered outside, air pressure in the engine is lowered also. It's kinda funny how it works like that isn't it?
    Yeah... but the beach in Cali is (get this) 0 feet above sea level.

It has nothing to do with elevation.

Mexican killed my car

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak
    i see those octane boosters on the shelf, anyone ever actually test them to see how well they work, and if thier claims are correct?
    No they don't. When you see one that says it raises it 9 points or something it means instead of 93 you will have 93.9 (Well, i guess in a way they work, but .9 points isn't going to do much)
    Last edited by CaptainCaveMan; 06-15-2006 at 05:49 AM.

Mexican killed my car

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...7/June/09.html

Tom: And what allows you, Bob, to use lower-than-recommended octane is the altitude in Colorado. Up where you live, the air pressure is lower. That means the pressure in the cylinders is lower, too. So by going up 5,000-plus feet in elevation, you've effectively lowered the compression of your engine, and that means you can use lower-octane fuel without making the engine ping.

Ray: At the altitude where you live, 85 octane is the equivalent of 87 octane at sea level. So, by all means, go ahead and use it, Bob. Along with getting winded more easily, it's one of the fringe benefits of living up there in the mountains.

http://www.utahpetroleum.org/about_p...l_the_same.htm

The most common levels of octane grade are 87 (regular), 89 (mid-grade) and 93 (premium). In Utah, these numbers are 85 (regular), 87 (mid-grade) and 91 (premium) due to our elevation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

For each 1000 feet of altitude the atmospheric pressure will drop by a little less than 1 inHg (11 kPa/km). An engine that might require 93 octane at sea level may perform at maximum on a fuel rated at 91 octane if the elevation is over say 1000 feet
    http://www.summitdaily.com/article/2...NOTES/50812008

according to the Department of Energy and local professionals, 85 octane at high elevation is as good as 87 octane at sea level, so it’s safe for your vehicle at high elevation.
    http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/octane.htm

What about locations where Regular is only 85 or 86 average octane? If you are at elevation, say 5,000 ft or higher, there is no problem because motors have a lower octane requirement at altitude.
    http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/t...iderations.htm

As you increase your altitude the octane requirement decreases 1-2 octane per 3000 feet elevation. This is because the density of the air is reduced or there is less air available for your motor to burn. The higher the altitude, the richer your motor will run, making it necessary to re-jet the motor in order to lean it out. The fuel volume remains the same and the air volume goes down. If you have a vacuum advance, as the altitude increases, the motor makes less vacuum and the air fuel ratio becomes richer due to the decreasing air to fuel volume.
    I can see now how lower octane out west has nothing to do with altitude.

Mrs.'s Boobies

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

And those beaches are less than a tank of gas away from higher elevation.
    We (Ca) also have the lowest point in the US (Badwater ~280' below sea level). Although you are correct about the elevation-octane thing ... the higher the elevation the lower the required octane (less air, less fuel, less dynamic compression).

In New England, we have 87,91,93, and 94.

black
    98 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS
    We (Ca) also have the lowest point in the US (Badwater ~280' below sea level). Although you are correct about the elevation-octane thing ... the higher the elevation the lower the required octane (less air, less fuel, less dynamic compression).
    yeah, hello from 6225 feet above sea level

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Air pollution .. Im in Vegas 91 is the supreme out here .. and it sucks .. being as I come from Virginia .. totally the opposite side of the states where 93 is supreme.. Ican definitely tell a difference in engine knock between the two as well .. I hate Nevada very hard on engines and cars in general.. But Ive seen a documentary on the whole fuel and octane issue.. why the price goes up in the summer .. down in the winter.. why its more here in nevada and cali as compared to back home in va.. out west EPA regulations keep the 91 here.. another reason is out here theres millions of drivers on the roads every day.. Vegas is in a valley.. surrounded by mountains .. the air quality sits and stagnates with all of the smog ..Very little trees or greenery to produce more oxygen .. Carbon monoxide is high .. So cali and nv I know have the whole Smog inspection... Va doesnt .. fresh air .. trees everywhere .. they dont have air quality issues for the most part .. sometimes in richmond which is a main city but thats about it... Ive driven from Va to Las vegas 5 times now .. Out west sucks gas wise
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/illcul8troffcr/My%20SS/signaturew.jpg
    2002 Camaro SS #1539
    MTI Clear AirLid /Magnaflow catback/Polished Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace/K&N Filter/Bilstein Suspension/
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/553601
    http://www.fquick.com/illcul8troffcr

black
    98 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by illcul8troffcr
    Carbon monoxide is high .. So cali and nv I know have the whole Smog inspection... Va doesnt ..
    FYI not whole NV has smog inspection, actually only 2 counties: Washoe (Reno) and Clark (Las Vegas)
    Setting up a P.O. Box in some other county and registering your car there might be a good idea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information