Thread: Garage floor ?

Black
    2001 Ws6

Garage floor ?

Hey all just finish my new garage and am have no idea how to go about with the floors. Is the regular grey seal you get from home depot any good or worth it? I seen a lot of great stuff on you tube with mixing colors to look like real rock Etc ... So I'm just looking to get something that will protect my garage floor any suggestions would be welcomed thanks

If it helps it's a brand new build 24 by 40. Thanks again

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

When done correctly they work pretty well and look good. Decent size garage can take some time if prepped correctly ie: cleaning the floor and filling cracks and sanding the filler. Took my dad and I a couple days to do my parents garage but it's a four car garage. We did it at their old house and learned that the prep work will determine how long it lasts. Started flaking up in some areas were we didnt do enough prep. So we made sure we did it right this time. Upside is oil and other spills come up quick and easy now with no worries about staining the concrete.

He got his stuff from Home Depot and we just added some colored flake on top for decoration.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Black
    2001 Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    When done correctly they work pretty well and look good. Decent size garage can take some time if prepped correctly ie: cleaning the floor and filling cracks and sanding the filler. Took my dad and I a couple days to do my parents garage but it's a four car garage. We did it at their old house and learned that the prep work will determine how long it lasts. Started flaking up in some areas were we didnt do enough prep. So we made sure we did it right this time. Upside is oil and other spills come up quick and easy now with no worries about staining the concrete.

He got his stuff from Home Depot and we just added some colored flake on top for decoration.
    Thanks,

what did you do to prep? The sheet rock guys were a little sloppy so the floor has spots of joint compound buts the other 70% is pretty clean

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Scraped up the stuff that was left behind by the builders, like the sheet rock guys. Cant remember what it was called but used a filler for the cracks or rough spots. Sanded the filler as smooth as we could and then power washed the floor after everything was dry. Then just followed the instructions on the product.

red
    95 Z28

I've seen a lot of people have issues with any of the Home Depot or lowes stuff. I would at least get a quote from a pro outfit that does stores like Costco or automotive dealership service areas. The stuff they use in those places is nuclear strength.
    this post is meant as a joke and in no way should it be interpreted as a serious or meaningful reply. The author of this post cannot be held liable for any damages, both emotional and physical, that may be incurred from the reading of this post. By acknowledging this disclaimer you hereby release the author from any and all liability

Black
    2001 Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I've seen a lot of people have issues with any of the Home Depot or lowes stuff. I would at least get a quote from a pro outfit that does stores like Costco or automotive dealership service areas. The stuff they use in those places is nuclear strength.
    I was thinking to do it myself it would cost $1.59 a foot. But I have 960sqft which came out to $1526.4 still wIting on the local company to see what they say

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Garage floor ?

I believe we used the rustoleum brand epoxy floor coat. I think it came with a floor wash and all the necessary stuff to do the job. held up great. try to keep the floor clear of dirt and oils beforehand. floor paints and stains that aren't epoxy based, they will bubble and lift if the floor gets wet for any amount of time.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Not sure what the previous owner used but it turned out good except for one part, starting coming up after a year, which is annoying, looks like the concrete is more like gravel in one small spot. Not sure how I can or if I can repair that.

I would recommend getting a quote since it's a lot of work and they probably have better products and know what they're doing to get it done right the first time. I like doing stuff myself, but after seeing one part come up due to the concrete underneath, I would probably pay someone to do it and be done with it.

Black
    2001 Ws6

Yea I think having someone do it would be better would hate to ruin the floor trying to be cheap

Thread Information